Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: datsun 620 ride height
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:51 pm 

hey guys i wanna lower my 620 but i cant seem to find out if there is an eyebrow height i have to keep in mind?as the registration office dont kno? any help thanx
andy-

hillman imp- cruiser
Volvo - bagged at all 4 corners
S2 bluey ca18det
1000 4dr

garage 910

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 pm 

in vic you need 100mm clearance from road to the lowest point in the car, which i think has to be body/chassis/exhaust

not sure if its same in SA, wouldnt be far off though

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:36 pm 
Guru

Regency would not know either.
The variants of most chassis model Datto utes had varying ride hights.
Whats the eye brow for a tray top?

Unless you are using a drop spindle, you are limited in how far you can drop the front.
My 720, same 620 is about as low as you can go ( front ) and still be able to drive it.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:04 am 

Second to Baz's comments. My 720 is also as low as you can make it, within allowing you to drive it still. IIRC they're about the same height.

I went through all the BS with the Regency engineers a few years ago and as helpful they are, this kind of thing is a grey spot. In relation to the eyebrow heights.

If you drop it as low as you can within proper driving limits, keep it off the ground by 100mm. You will not have any problems.

After my engine swap and after making a 2.5 inch exhaust system for it, the lowest point of my exhaust is 93mm. So its not legal, but i havent had any issues.

I also used drop blocks on the rear, to later not need them, as a trip to QLD with the tray full of gear, actually flattened the springs out for me. No need for the blocks. (ps, i will sell them if you need some)

As for the front the torsion rods were wound out and made to suit the rears profile.

There is also a law about not lowering a vehicle by any more then a 3rd of its factory ride height....umm all i can say is, that will be neglected if you lower it to 100mm. But yeah, just for your info.

Drop spindles would be great if they made them to suit my era 720, and the earlier 620's. The ones available suit the 84/85 onwards models. Baz will confirm, but from what i remember now, the 84/85 onward models had a larger/stronger front end assembly. These parts can be made to work on the early models, but you have to convert a few items including hubs, which is a lot of work if not really needed.

Also note you will want to get your steering realigned properly, as lowering it this much effects your camber and castor. Camber is easily fixed with shimming the top arm out, but the castor is harder as the rods arent adjustable all that much.

If in doubt, call Baz, he's got more info about these utes than anyone can imagine.

Cheers.
Bed time now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:40 am 

Sanouske wrote:

Also note you will want to get your steering realigned properly, as lowering it this much effects your camber and castor. Camber is easily fixed with shimming the top arm out, but the castor is harder as the rods arent adjustable all that much.
Ive never wheel aligned a 720, but if the camber adjustment is done with shims between the upper control arm mounting point then you can also adjust caster from here also. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:24 pm 

Touche 24thman. You are correct. I remember know. =D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:22 pm 
Guru

You actually shim the top control arm in. Use 720FWD top bolts and made up 10mm spacer.
As you lower a 720 the camber increases to positive.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 pm 

thanks heaps for that guys.
just didn't want to get picked on having it low if the car has an eyebrow height as i'm taking my tray off and putting a tub on.
and if cops pull me up they're sure to find the sr under the hood

hillman imp- cruiser
S2 bluey ca18det
1000 4dr

garage 910

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 pm 

if your gonna lower it make sure it doesnt tuck tyre, i get defected all the time in my lux cause i was almost tucking rim but now im not tucking tyre and i dont get touched, my old mans a cop and they dont have a eyebrow height for dato's cause they are too old, bag it so you can go as high and as low as you want

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:05 am 

Yeah bagging it will certainly see it off the road if you get caught. They dont engineer bags any more here. =(

If you're running an SR, no doubt you will try to drive it slideways. So give your back and your dato some form of suspension travel.

My 720 is as low as you really want to go. I still retain some suspension travel and so far havent been given a second look. As nicholls suggests, leave a gap between the tire and arch. My 720 is bright yellow with charcoal painted 80 series Surf steel rims (heavy as) with lowish profile tires and white walls. Along with a z18et. I have tire/arch gap, so far so good. Plus it has made using the ute still viable.

But then again you still cant go past this one. I have this set to my desktop.

http://image.automotive.com/f/images/99 ... riding.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:46 pm 

sanouske yeah i have seen ur 720 around and it looks tough as im still in the ideas atm i have also been looking at putting in coilovers all round instead of bagging it and then i can get rid off the torsion bars but im persuing a disk front end 620 atm so i'll just c how that goes first

hillman imp- cruiser
S2 bluey ca18det
1000 4dr

garage 910

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am 

Putting coilovers in would certainly make life easier but you would have to get it engineered. And im not sure if you're wanting to do that.

Ive considered it too, but for the effort in getting the paperwork sorted ive opted to just put up with minimal suspension travel.

As it is, these days it higher off the ground now with slightly taller tires. Wore the white wall tires out.

Send me a PM if you're ever needing a hand. Im always up for a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:35 pm 

Sanouske wrote:
nicholls wrote:
Baz wrote:
You actually shim the top control arm kit in. Use 720FWD top bolts and made up 10mm spacer.
As you lower a 720 the camber increases to positive.
if your gonna lower it make sure it doesnt tuck tyre, I get defected all the time in my lux cause I was almost tucking rim but now im not tucking tyre and I dont get touched, my old mans a cop and they dont have a eyebrow height for dato's cause they are too old, bag it so you can go as high and as low as you want
Yeah bagging it will certainly see it off the road if you get caught. They dont engineer bags any more here. =(

If you're running an SR, no doubt you will try to drive it slideways. So give your back and your dato some form of suspension travel.

My 720 is as low as you really want to go. I still retain some suspension travel and so far havent been given a second look. As nicholls suggests, leave a gap between the tire and arch. My 720 is bright yellow with charcoal painted 80 series Surf steel rims (heavy as) with lowish profile tires and white walls. Along with a z18et. I have tire/arch gap, so far so good. Plus it has made using the ute still viable.

But then again you still cant go past this one. I have this set to my desktop.

http://image.automotive.com/f/images/99 ... riding.jpg
Thanks for sharing the picture with us. It looks great. I figured it was a matter of loosening the bushing and re-torquing them to adjust the height.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:10 pm 

yes thats all it it but i just didnt wanna go too low as it was my daily but now it doesnt matter but i did end up going in the coilover direction
heres my project build
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23996

hillman imp- cruiser
S2 bluey ca18det
1000 4dr

garage 910