Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:55 pm 

Hi guys i have a descision to make i am looking at a brake and suspension upgrade for my 1600 and figured you guys can help me out once again!!!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail: :thumbsup:

I have about 5 and a half grand saved for this upgrade and am looking for street mostly and the occasional track day once a month or so :D

So have done some research and made some calls but can't decide whether to go for the maddat package or the datsport package the reason being is when i was reading up on the mad dat gear they explain that r31 struts and gear is not a good idea because wheel offset is different and may need to use spacers which are apparently illegal (this is what datsport use)

Mad dat use 200b strut gear therefore elimating the offset problem!!!!

any suggestions or advice welcome

Once again guys thank you very much
Tavis :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:06 pm 

you dont need to run spacers with datsport struts, but you'll need lamo fwd offset wheels. Apparantly they make handling pretty good though.
Personally I think excellent handling can be had from the old 200b/240k strut and you can run decent offset wheels as well... so I wont be changing to R31.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:06 pm 
Old Digger

^ plus 1. Decades of 1600's wining races with the above combo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 pm 
Guru

Tavis wrote:
Hi guys I have a descision to make I am looking at a brake and suspension upgrade for my 1600 and figured you guys can help me out once again!!!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail: :thumbsup:

I have about 5 and a half grand saved for this upgrade and am looking for street mostly and the occasional track day once a month or so :D

So have done some research and made some calls but can't decide whether to go for the maddat package or the datsport package the reason being is when I was reading up on the mad dat gear they explain that r31 struts and gear is not a good idea because wheel offset is different and may need to use spacers which are apparently illegal (this is what datsport use)

Datsport use 200B struts as well.

As a matter of fact we will use any strut that the customer wants.
We prefer the R31 strut as it is easier to modify and it accepts the R32/33 brakes.

An R31 strut will accept the same offset rim as a 240K strut.
But the R31 strut will accept a more pos offset rim than the 240K strut.

The only time an increased pos offset rim is needed on a 1600 is when a modified 200B
front end is fitted with R31 struts.

Note that all modern RWD cars use Increased pos offset rims some times refered to as FWD rims.
research this to discover why.

deep dish, over width rims can look cool and racy, but generally do not improve performance.
if you are serious about track days, then check these out
Have now been well tested & proven.
http://www.datsport.com/strut-dsk280R.html
Note we recommend no larger than 15x6 or 15x6.5 with these struts.
They do not need to be FWD offset either.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:36 pm 

Baz wrote:
Tavis wrote:
Hi guys I have a descision to make I am looking at a brake and suspension upgrade for my 1600 and figured you guys can help me out once again!!!!!! :hail: :hail: :hail: :thumbsup:

So have done some research and made some calls but can't decide whether to go for the maddat package or the datsport package the reason being is when I was reading up on the mad dat gear they explain that r31 struts and gear is not a good idea because wheel offset is different and may need to use spacers which are apparently illegal (this is what datsport use)

Datsport use 200B struts as well.

As a matter of fact we will use any strut that the customer wants.
We prefer the R31 strut as it is easier to modify and it accepts the R32/33 brakes.

The only time an increased pos offset rim is needed on a 1600 is when a modified 200B
front end is fitted with R31 struts.

Note that all modern RWD cars use Increased pos offset rims some times refered to as FWD rims.
research this to discover why.

deep dish, over width rims can look cool and racy, but generally do not improve performance.
if you are serious about track days, then check these out
Have now been well tested & proven.
http://www.datsport.com/strut-dsk280R.html
Note we recommend no larger than 15x6 or 15x6.5 with these struts.
They do not need to be FWD offset either.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:43 pm 

great info thanks!

My plan is too build the brakes, suspension and anything else up to an acceptable enough level for the sr20det conversion before i go ahead with the engine swap. It must also be able to pass certification QLD roads

So if i am looking at doing an sr20det conversion in the future and i use the DSK280S or DSK280R will i have to change my wheels to different offset wheels???

Also i am not a serious track day racer more like a once a month have a goer :D i do want great street performance though :thumbsup:
i have started and do however want this build to be done properly and with quality parts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm 

Baz wrote:

This is true Baz but doesn't the wider track on the R31 strut mean that the wheels will sit way outside the 1600's guards?
Hence why it accepts a more positive offset rim?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:07 am 

Thanks again for the help guys as always all opinions are muchly appreciated

I have decided to go with a

dsk280r front and

dsk2600 rear set up

and a tandem brake booster

for now then in about 6months time i'll get the handling kit/sr conversion kit and a motor ect... :lol: :lol:

all from datsport :thumbsup:

They were more than helpful and very welcoming i am now just waiting on the quotes to finalize the deal :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 am 

Nice choice there, its what i would get if i could afford it :( Baz is awesome, always has time to talk things through with you :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am 

Baz is the man.
Had a good chat with him after I got out of surgery a few months back... cant remember what was said, but he took time out of his busy work day to give me some good info on the old R30 Skyline L24e and turbo stuff...
Legend.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:28 am 

Can anyone confirm the exact track difference between the 240k strut and R31 strut?
Running a standard 1600 front end... Will consider changing to the 240k's if it means i can fit my wheels....
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:42 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I can measure as I have both at home, but there isn't that much in it from memory. What problem do you have fitting your wheels ? Guard clearance ? Strut tube clearance ? ??

Bear in mind that a lot of R31 struts used in conversions don't use R31 hubs anyway (ie Datsport struts don't use the R31 hb / rotor). Below is my take on this - I stand to be corrected, although I have built my own "Datsport inspired" 200B front end to go in my 180B SSS

People seem confused by this aspect of the Datsport conversion - from what I can see the Datsport front end allows you to use R31 struts, it doesn't mean you have to use R31 struts. The R31 struts in turn allow the use of wheels with a larger positive offset. This is done to overcome the added track induced by the Datsport / 200B front end , its not so much the R31 struts that induce the added track width.

You should still be able to run 240K struts with a Datsport front end, but you may have tyre to guard issues due to the added track added by the Datsport front end., not by the R31 struts themselves.

The R31 struts help because the strut tube is set further back on the axle casting piece at the bottom. Therefore, you can fit wheels with a greater positive offset before the tyre will touch the strut tube (because the strut tube is set further inwards towards the centre of the car).

As an example, I have lengthened the lower control arms in my 1600 (with a standard front end / x-member / etc and 240K struts). I now have to run +30 offset wheels with 195/55 tyres in order to get them under my (slightly flaired) guards. I can't run wider wheels or tyres because they will not fit under the guards. I can't fit wheels with greater +ve offset as they will hit the strut tube (I only have 1mm or so clearance there). Fitting R31 struts would alow me to run, say, +40 offset rims as there is more clearance before the tyre will touch the strut tube. Therefore the R31 struts would allow me to run wider wheels and rubber, as I could tuck them in under the guards better. Datsport front end with R31 struts is basically the same idea

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:29 pm 

Thanks Dave, im running a completely standard front end, but with Datsport R31 coilovers.

My problem is that my 15x7 +12 offset wheels wont fit under the (non flared) guards with this setup, by about 2 inches.
If i was to swap the struts for 240k coilovers, how much less track would i have?

I understand the r31 gives wider track and more room for rubber with positive offsets but im not into that... People running 240k struts (like yourself) say they work just fine...

Basically how much if that 2 inches outside the guard would i lose with the 240k struts? (or 280z as the yanks are partial too)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:23 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Had a quick measure, and I reckon there is only a few mm difference in track between a 240K strut and an R31 strut with the "Datsport"-style hubs. I couldn't get the R31 hubs down easily to measure (they're up in the roof of the shed, covered in another dozen or so struts). These are the "one part" rotor / hub assembly anyway, most people don't use the R31 hubs ?? What hubs do your R31 coilovers run ?

The R31 struts give something like 8mm or so extra clearance back to the strut tube - ie you could run wheels with 8mm more positive offset.

These are very rough figures, use as a guide but don't use them for anything needing exact measurements. The 240K were measured on the car, R31 measured on the floor so there may be differences due to this as well.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 am 

I have 15x7 +13 on the front with 240k struts on a standard 1600 frnt end and they just fit.

[ img ]
Front by iggy1600, on Flickr