Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Swaybar thickness
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:54 pm 

I think I may have a bent swaybar in my 180b and while I am rePlacing my struts and other various urethane components I was thinking I should also put in a new one.
Is there going to be any real difference in performance handling etc by using say a 22mm bar instead ofthe 19
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Swaybar thickness
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:55 am 

Textbook reply is: Heavier front bar increases understeer and resists lifting an inside REAR wheel in turns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:08 am 

When I put an R31 Skyline in my Bluey with Nolathane bushes it made a hell of a difference.

With the old bar, if you got sideways in the wet, you could find yourself swaying back and forth uncontrollably for the next 200m down the road. It lent over a fair bit on corners too.

With the new bar, 26mm instead of the old 21mm, it stands upright. I do agree, when it's wet I still find myself sliding out when cruising around, however when it does kick out, all you need to do is counter-steer a bit to keep you going and you're fine.

If anything, I found it a safety benefit, best $100 I ever spent on the car to this day. And I've bought a CA18, strut brace, and lots of silly parts!

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:13 pm 

As a general rule of thumb, heavier sway bars are the best $/handling improvement you can make. What they do is reduce the dynamic camber and caster changes that happen when cornering, but not at the cost of making a firmer ride - so your suspension can still absorb little bumps and dips easily.

Another suspension rule of thumb, and this is sometimes counter-intuitive, but the harder you make one end, the better the *opposite* end will grip. IOW, a big swaybar on the back will improve turn-in, but you'll be able to lose the back end easier, for example. Do both if you can.