Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:23 am 

Hey guys! Long time reader... first time poster. Ha

So i recently bought my first datsun, a 72 180b.
Im in the process of deciding what directions to go with it, there is so much info here its overwhelming!
Someones had a go at it already, koni rears and some subaru diff. 2 inch exhaust and twin mikuni carbs. Few other bits and bobs.
Whats got me is, someone has clearly upgraded front struts. After A LOT of reading, im thinking they are 200b. 253 Mm solid rotor, sumitomo calipers. 50Mm strut tube. Small offset 200 b? Pleasr corrext me if im wrong?
The brakes are stuffed, warped and fadr almost instantly.
So my plan so far....
Landcruiser calipers and s13 18mm rotors. (Has 90mm bolt spacing)
Vn commodore shock inserts. ( terrible understeer.)
R31 skyline sway bar.
Im thinking with minimal mods that should all fit and eliminate my braking and understeer problems.
Eventually it will be a hill climb/motorkhana car.
Sr20det at some point too.
Ill put some pics up tonight.
So! Thoughts and opinions on this set up?
Thanks in advance fellas!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:59 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sumitomo calipers - are they twin piston ? ie one piston each side of the rotor ? If so, they will be 240K (which also uses a 253mm rotor).

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:05 pm 

Yup they are the ones!
I just assumed they would be 200b struts as 240k are harder to find, and the sumitomos bolt to either strut, right?
Its got the 50 odd mil strut tube and the 90mm spacing. Which i thought both struts had?
From what ive read (which is a lot) the set up im planning to do should work on either strut anyway. Although, this is my first datsun and i am a noob lol so i could be wrong.
Will be selling some sumitomos soon then!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:07 pm 

Also! Just sat 180b and r31 sway bar on the ground... look the same by sight! Winning. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 am 

DD180b wrote:
Also! Just sat 180b and r31 sway bar on the ground... look the same by sight! Winning. :)
is the 31 sway bar a good upgrade? does it fit?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:27 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

200B strut tube should be shorter than 240K if it hasnt been modified already. If you are planning on shortening them this means nothing i guess but might help you identify them...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:21 am 

Good condition 240K brakes aren't that bad on a 1600 or 180B. Mine were fine around Calder Park and Phillip Island circuits as well as Hillclimbs. Dunno what your budget is but new brake fluid (which you're going to do anyway) and machining the rotors (if they're thick enough) may be enough to do the job. The calipers are pretty rigid and you can get good pads for 'em although they have been known to seize up if left unused for to long so make sure both pistons in each caliper can move freely.
Usually a thicker front swaybar increases understeer. I found the best thing to improve the steering and handling of a 180B is adjustable camber and castor, then dialing in 1.5 degrees of negative camber and 3 degrees of castor. That was great on the street with 60 series tyres. Sure you want good dampers (shock inserts) too, but the right front end settings transform a Datsun.
Have you considered a Datsport front end? I've never had the pleasure of driving a Datsun with one but (like all Baz's stuff) they have an excellent reputation.