Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:24 am 

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=135

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:05 am 

Awesome, will have a read :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:34 pm 

Another good discussion regarding using a steering rack
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=225

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:31 am 

Icehouse does great work, always trying something new.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:58 pm 

The last page shows them having made a complete new crossmember incorporating a rack with all the correct formulas and angles factored in, quite interesting to see how it actually turns out

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:06 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thanks for the interesting revelations: the AE86 crossmember with MR2 manual rack looks like a really good way to go, especially with the LCA inner pivots being double-sheer bolted rather than pins like the OEM 510. Having said that, I've seriously raced several Datsun 510/610 rally cars, and whilst I broke other suspension parts, I never broke one of these LCA pins and have never seen one break (I've seen some bent ones).

Advantages I see with AE86 X-member and MR2 rack: X-member appears to allow greater clearance below the engine sump and installing and removing LCAs will be a breeze. Road clearance might be an issue on a severely lowered car?

In my setup which uses a reversed 510 X-member: installing engine/gearbox is tight and there is little clearance between the uppermost bolts of the rack mounting straps, and sump - I get around this by temporarily installing long bolts (through chassis rails, crush tubes and X-member) that allow me to drop the X-member down, bolts providing alignment for when I jack the X-member back up; removing and replacing LCAs is possible with the rack in place, but is very fiddly.

Ultimately, a fabricated X-member with LCA pivot positions corresponding exactly to the effective rack length (distance between centres of rack rod end ball joints) and in the same horizontal plane, would be the way to go, if you have the time to build the necessary jigs and the skills to fabricate the whole thing.

As I suggested earlier, and Baz suggested before me, a fully fabricated bolt in sub-frame, crossmember, LCA, tension rods and etc., appears to be the way to go. Significant improvement over the OEM Datsun 510 steering geometry can be achieved by having long LCAs and a correspondingly short rack. Incorporating longer LCAs is one reason why Datsport's (200B-based) conversion provides greater control over steering geometry. Longer tension rods would also help. It is CRITICAL that the rack has exactly the right effective length (Rule of Thumb: LCA pivot - to LCA pivot distance = rack rod ball joint to rack rod ball joint distance), but even when you get this right you can still end up with bump steer because of differences in the arcs traced out by LCAs and rod ends (see my drawing, where I've tried to get these to correspond as much as possible).

If these factors were incorporated into a ready to install sub-frame / x-member and etc, it would allow the geometry to be comprehensively measured and tested before being installed, and the same set-up could be accurately replicated. This screams out for somebody to actually build one that could be sold as a kit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:23 pm 
Guru

Further to my comments on page 1 of this thread and Allans comments on the use of longer lower control arms being desirable.
We are absolutely committed to using long LCAs. This requires a short rack.
Pic is one of the racks we a considering. These are available new at a reasonable price in quantity.
Also available in LHD.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Rack.jpg [ 20.57 KiB | Viewed 6092 times ]

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:49 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

See the photo: based on my installation with the shortened 910 Bluebird rack (mounted behind the X-member) and an L-series engine, there is still some room to accommodate a shorter rack.
Depending on your choice of engine it is likely that starter motor and/or rear of engine will come into conflict with the lower intermediate shaft (not fitted in this photo - refer to earlier photos). I'm estimating that if the rack is shorter than 590mm (Centre of rack rod end ball joint to centre of rack rod end ball joint) with corresponding distance between LCA pivots, things would start to get really tight. To gain a little more clearance it could be worth considering moving both the X-member and rack further forward in the chassis, and perhaps having the LCAs swept back slightly. This could work with a X-member that has LCA pivot bolts within the X-member (like 200B, Bluebird 910, S12 and etc.) rather than pins like the 510.
Based on a rack with an effective length of, say, 590mm (Centre of rack rod end ball joint to centre of rack rod end ball joint), my estimate of the effective length of the LCA (pivot to centre of lower ball joint) would be 327.5mm (compared to pivot to centre of lower ball joint length of 285mm for standard 510 LCAs) before track width started to become a problem for street registered car (that is, exceeding 1310mm, compared with 1270mm original track). I'm guessing that LCA effective length of 327.5mm would be close to that of the Datsport 200B-based conversion set-up?

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
EngineInstalled~RackLocation.jpg [ 977.67 KiB | Viewed 6047 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 pm 

This looks like it is an interesting development (apologies to linking to Facebook but the page doesn't require login)

https://www.facebook.com/largeautomotiv ... es?fref=nf

I know nothing more than whats on the page but certainly got my attention as I've spent the $$$ on three "good" steering boxes and replaced every steering component in my 1600 but was bitterly disappointed with the free play that still remained

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:59 am 

I was just about to post this! Looks like a solid bit of kit, I'm very interested to hear how they perform once people get their hands on them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Yes, having met the developer just this last weekend, in my opinion this is proving to be a very well thought out, comprehensive kit as, for example, it will also include a collapsible steering column, a new Toyota AE86 quick rack & pinion gear (as mentioned in the FB comments, etc) and has been designed and built with robustness, accuracy and performance in mind.

Although I don't profess or wish to speak for him at all, and I am sure he will have more to say on his development once he gets engineering approval for the design, I think this is an exciting development for the Datsun 1600 / 510, for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

swanny wrote:
This looks like it is an interesting development (apologies to linking to Facebook but the page doesn't require login)

I know nothing more than whats on the page but certainly got my attention as I've spent the $$$ on three "good" steering boxes and replaced every steering component in my 1600 but was bitterly disappointed with the free play that still remained
The guy who is developing this is actually a good friend of a good friend of mine. I've never met him but all my friend has to say about him is how much development he puts in to this and how pedantic he is, apparently every car he builds is awesome. So based on that I would expect this to be a very good thing.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:23 pm 

swanny wrote:

Makes me sad to read that this system will ONLY suit the SRs :(

I think that is hogwash though as, with a lot of the crap cut off of the top of it, i can make it work for the mounting cradle idea i have for the rotar :D I got REALLY excited about this design. There is A LOT to these so, pedantic/ANAL is exactly the mentality you'll wanna have when working on them :D

Pretty exciting to read as the updates carry on :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:57 am 

Have another read. The design is modular and he says it will fit SR, L series and FJ. It's just SR to begin with

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:41 am 

wu1600 wrote:
Have another read. The design is modular and he says it will fit SR, L series and FJ. It's just SR to begin with
Sorry mate, probably wasn't all that clear. I am putting a rotary engine into my 510... so, when i said that it "only suits SRs", i mainly meant something more along the lines of, "Gosh darnnit!! It doesn't suit a rotary engine and nor will it for quite some time but, being that it might have completely changed the potential for handling in these cars (i know that they handled well to begin with), it is probably worth my while asking the gentleman if he can remove what would be superfluous to my needs, and get the bare unit."

My mistake (^_^)