Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Rear disc on stanza
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25 pm 

Hi everyone I am trying to find something about disc brake conversions for the stanza but have not had much luck :(
I have an 82 stanza with a lsd borg warner drum brake rear end and was wondering if any of you have converted this setup to disc's and if so what is involved? is it hard? expensive? parts needed/fabricated?
Any help or info would be greatly apreciated

:cheers John

Post subject: Re: Rear disc on stanza
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 pm 

as silly as this sounds .. when i built the rear end in my stanza i sussed out prices for month's trying to do exactly the same thing.. ending up looking like it would cost way too much. .. so i went the toyota option... i now have a 88 toyota hiace housing. hilux 4.11 centre ( all bolt in) and i bought another stanza diff and took it to my engineer and they measured and cut the mounts of the stanza diff and put it on the hiace housing. .. the hiace is exactly the same width as the standard diff,.. meaning if i blow drive shaft's they are an off the shelf replacement. not a custom fab job. and also they are used to load bearing situation's... the hardest part i found was to source the 4.11 hilux centre..

food for thought.. hope it helps dude..oh and regarding disc's it was nothing to fab a custom r31 rear disc mounting bracket to the hiace housing. ..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 pm 

which hilux diff was it and what are its measurements?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm 

It sounds like you're looking for a disc conversion but not necessarily after a stronger diff at the same time?

If you're happy to keep your existing bw68 as it has an LSD centre, converting to R31 rear brakes from a bw78 diff may be as easy as swapping the backing plates, installing discs and calipers and modifying the handbrake cable a bit.

I'm not 100% sure that the two borg warner diffs have the same bolt pattern on the backing plates and someone else may be able to confirm this. I always assumed they were.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 pm 

Awsome thanks for the info guys.

My stanza is running an FJ20et and I'm pretty happy with the current diff as you say AJAY, but not too impressed with the braking, hence the move to a disc rear end.

But now I have a few options to look into, thanks again :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:01 pm 

Check out my build thread. I'm in the process of putting an R31 skyline diff in my stanza. If your running an FJ eventually you'll need something more solid!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:35 pm 

I had a stanza with an FJ for a few years and put a shortened bw78 lsd in it too. Reconditioned R31 3.9 LSD centre, but i used a falcon housing and had it cut down and axels shortened and resplined and stanza mounts welded on.

I'm putting together a disc brake TRX H190 LSD foor my 200b at the moment and one of them would be a good choice for a stanza too, with the right offset rims you can use it without cutting down. People go on about the LSD's being rare but you just need to get a Nissan crew centre from yahoo japan. I got one for about $670 delivered.

The stock diff will hold together on standard boost levels if you drive it gently.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:29 pm 

Cool thanks more options.

How can I tell what borgwarner is in my stanza as when I bought the car the owner said he did not know what it was but it was a lot beefier looking than the diff in his other stanza, he had 3, two FJ20et's and a standard one, this FJ20 I bought had been his daily driver for more than a year without any problems on 14psi.

I have had the backing plate off to do an oil replacement as there is no drain plug if that helps at all??

Cheers John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:35 pm 

score if it's a 78

Is it a 9-bolt octagonal rear housing? the extra 9th hole is at the bottom.

some info and pictures here:
http://www.datsun1200.com/modules/media ... title=BW78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 pm 

If it turns out to be a 78also you coult pop out an axle and count the splines to know which version it is... 4-pinion 28 spline from the skyline is the most likely if its LSD but apparently there are some LSD centres available for the 2-pinion 25 splines from VL non-turbos and Pintaras. that centre would be from an XF falcon i think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:49 pm 

Awesome great info AJAY :) and yes it is the 9 bolt, I have no Idea of the spline count and not able to check until next week as I am away at work until monday.

But thanks again for the link :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 am 

Winning :-D