Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:05 am 

Hi,
I know there are threads out there which eventually conclude to various brake conversion kits and what not.

I just would like to know what is needed for this project to be done.
Whether there are any cars which I can use parts from and it must be street legal in South Australia.
Over the past week I have spent countless hours looking at various forums with still little to none clarification.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Matthew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:26 am 

Hey puffm,

Has your '78 got ball joint or king pin front end?

Ball joint is easy, 720 uprights, hubs and calipers, later 720 had vented discs. D21 Navara may fit as well but I have never tried it personally. 720 M/C and your done.

King pin is not so easy. I have done it using Holden Shuttle van hubs and discs with mixed up bearings to match it up. Seem to remember a spacer ring in there as well, I'll have to drag them out and have a look. Shuttle calipers mounted with a fabricated bracket, could probably machine them for roadworthy. 720 M/C worked but I swapped to a larger M/C from memory to gain some pedal.

Hope that helps.

There's something about twin webers at full noise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 am 

620racer wrote:
Hey puffm,

Has your '78 got ball joint or king pin front end?

Ball joint is easy, 720 uprights, hubs and calipers, later 720 had vented discs. D21 Navara may fit as well but I have never tried it personally. 720 M/C and your done.

King pin is not so easy. I have done it using Holden Shuttle van hubs and discs with mixed up bearings to match it up. Seem to remember a spacer ring in there as well, I'll have to drag them out and have a look. Shuttle calipers mounted with a fabricated bracket, could probably machine them for roadworthy. 720 M/C worked but I swapped to a larger M/C from memory to gain some pedal.

Hope that helps.

Hey Trev, yea I am fairly certain that they are ball joints, my usual mechanic at Lonsdale seemed skeptical about the conversion so I am now trying to learn myself aha seemingly difficult task for beginners though.

Cheers for the help

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 pm 

My kingpin conversion set up is sitting under my bil's house at Trott Park. Also a set of 720 front brakes sitting there on a chassis if you want to measure up or even try them on for size.

Beauty about them is the ball joints are exactly the same between the late 620 and the 720.

There's something about twin webers at full noise.