Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: sss dash wiring
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:44 pm 

Hi all, i'm fitting an early sss dash to my 1600. Needed to rewire the factory plug now i'm getting weird stuff like both indicators and dash lights illuminate when ignition is turned on. Tested ok on the bench with battery and test leads. I can probably nut it out but if someone has ideas let me know, cheers Shaun.

Post subject: Re: sss dash wiring
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:32 pm 

About to do this too,did u end up working it out mate?

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:35 pm 

G'Day. Eventually i got the whole dash operational. From memory the only thing needed was to re-configure the main connector plug. This just meant tracing the printed circuit board from one spot (eg Left indicator) to the appropriate pin. Then working on the loom side pop out the corresponding wire (eg Left indicator) and replace in the correct position in the plug Check all the earths are clean, i think some look like small rivets, others are nuts and bolts. I had huge dramas with stuff shorting out, to the point where a section of the printed circuit burnt through :oops: . I soldered a new loop of wire to bridge the damage and put a 5amp fuse in line to prevent any more mishaps. My dash had obviously been stored poorly for a long time. Basically i completely dismantled it and refurbed everything i could. In the dash opening i recall having to drill out 4 spot welds and remove the two lower mounting tabs for the original '69 dash. These can be refitted with small nuts and bolts if you ever want to swap back. I did a lot of bench testing on lighting, indicators etc with a 12v gel cell and test cables. a multimeter with continuity test was also very handy. If you are good with electrics it'll be easy. I know a bit, but it was a learning curve. Last thing that might help is the red light at the top centre of the sss dash. originally thought this was for the park brake but had a weird power drain issue. replaced that wire with charge light wire and all is good. SSS dash has one less pin than my '69 stocky so i capped off the park brake wire. hope that makes sense. If yours is in good working order it should not be too hard. The effort is worth it, they area a sensational piece of kit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 pm 

Just another thought. You'll need an oil pressure sender from something like a zed car, mines from a 260z. Also i think the whole cluster earths through the metal frame of the dash, so if its not screwed in you might get weird readings or burn something out :cry: The tacho's don't seem to like electronic ignitions, i run points. There is something on here about putting a 2000 or 2200 ohm resistor in the signal wire for the tacho. I also did this just to be sure, works fine. Good luck :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:34 pm 

cheers nustad510 :thumbsup:

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!