Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:12 am 

Hey All,

My first first post lol... so I have a Datsun 720 Ute fitted with an L20B A87 72 wade Match ported head manifold running twin 40mm side-draft dellortos, behind a 240k 5speed

I have a strange issue with the spark getting from the coil end to the distributor I am running which I believe to be a S2 BB Electronic dizzy... I have power to the coil from the ignition yet nothing by-passes the coing to power the dizzy, The dizzy itself is it perfect order it was running the day before last yet I have knocked a wire or miss wired the connections here on the coil end? I will upload photos either shortly or tomorrow to show the wiring config here yet it's so simple I think I'm over looking something simple I have checked all the fuse's none need replacing all fine powers getting where it needs too on the coil end yet no spark produced the key way in line right TDC etc the leads are fine plugs new only thing I can think of is the relays one under the drivers side blue 4 prong their is a harness for one like the one just mentioned yet nothing connected to it maybe was by passed at some earlier stage IDK :S Replaced the coil today yet nothing surfaced :( any help much appreciate, thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:25 am 

You didn't ground the dizzy to the block with the loom like it was with.points dizzy did you?

I did that and wouldn't fire up.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:47 am 

Hmm hey thanks for the response!

Yeah nah I have a ground for the coil yet nothing on the dizzy end yet two wires from the modual metal box on the side of the dizzy... so could say it's ground to the body! I have them two to the coil brown Pos Black red Neg? dizzy / coil + -

I need some photos to show the setup here might help th situation...

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:50 pm 

You want this wiring for the matchbox style dizzy. You must have a matching EI coil. An old points coil will heat up and burn out wired like this with out a ballast resistor.

[ img ]

The coil case can be grounded if you want but the dizzy absolutely must be firmly grounded to the block. Usually the mounting bolts will do but a separate ground wire won't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm 

Could you run the points coil with the resistor in a pinch?