Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:11 pm 

Hi there all. New to the Datto scene. Well not really a Datto to speak, but a tricked 1954 Morris ute with an A14 Datto motor and 4 speed fitted to it. I recently purchased an Electronic Distributor for it as the old Points Dizzy was totally Cactus! No wiring diagram was supplied, and none was forth coming when I requested one!
Problem is, whereas the old Dizzy had one wire that went to the negative side of the Coil, the new Dizzy has a Red and a Black wire.
Every second person I ask gives me a different scenario as to where these two wires go. As you all would be aware, you get about 1/10000000000th of a second to disconnect it if its wrong, or it fries!!!!!!! Here's hoping someone out the can be of assistance. Regards, MorrisMan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:04 am 

Post a pick of the dizzy. Connections will depend on the internals. Do the two wires go to a "sensor" that's essentially just a coil of wire near to strange shaped lumps on the shaft? Or do the wires come out of a "module" bolted to the side of the dizzy?

If there's a module already (transistor ignition usually with reluctor pick-up) then the wires would probably go to:
Red wire -≥ coil +
Black wire -> coil -
Dizzy must have good grounding to block.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:39 pm 

Thanx for the info. I will try to get a pick of the innards of said dizzy as soon as I can

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:30 pm 

Is it a e15 dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:19 pm 

It's supposed to fit an A14 engine. An Ebay special, but for the price it appears well manufactured. I spoke to my Auto Leccie yesterday and he had a look at the innards of it and reckons it's straight forward, the Red wire goes to the + side of the Coil, and the Black wire goes to the - side of the coil. I've hooked it up but wont know if all is ok until I put the battery in and pull the trigger. Fingers crossed it goes to plan...... Thanx.
While I'm on the Datto site, would anyone out there have a chrome Rocker Cover to suit a 1200 or 1400 engine. Doesn't have to be in top condition as anything would be better that the silver one I have on at present.