Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:34 pm 

So, iv gone I little wild with the stereo in my 1600.
Including rebuilding a new parcel shelf to house some 6.5s.
Only problem im really facing is that to run power to the amp that sits in the boot, along with rcas, and speacker wires, is that if you follow the original wiring, the back seats metal structure will pretty much squash any wire under there. And that is a fire hazard I just dont want..
Are people running condutes under the car, or is there somewhere where I wont pinch any wires.?
Any help will be appreciated. Maybe even a photo?

Mitch, mornington peninsula..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:36 am 

Battery in the boot and then only small signal wires go under the seat - is that an option? Although battery cables must then go under the seat too....
I'll have to go look at mine, I've got a feeling I was able to run the battery cable safely, or I would have been worried like you are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:08 am 

That could be an option, but ill be running a sr20de untill I get off my ps so I was hoping to keep the battery out of the boot for now. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:35 am 

It shouldn't be a problem if it's fused. I use to install car audio for a living and have seen the wrong way to do this many times. Keep the fuse as close to the battery as possible and use a the smallest fuse you can get away with. Just add up the value of all the fuses on the amp (or amps) and use a fuse the next size up near the battery. Always go through grommets when going through a metal panel (firewall) and if your worried about the metal frame of the seat, you can add extra insulation where you think it will touch or rub through using heat shrink or wrap it with tape. Also be careful of the metal frame behind the seat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:10 pm 

Not a problem, iv got all the right fuses and bought a grommet kit. Ill have another look at the situation early this week! Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:56 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Cables run past the rear seat from factory. There is a little gap on the right and left sides of the seat where you can run cabkes up to a certain size.
Makes sure the cables are double insulated or protected with flexible conduit etc.
If you have large cablling you might want to look at putting a gland or grommet in the vertical floor panel below the rear seat and run the cables past the diff (near the oem fuel line) and up into the boot floor if you dont mind drilling a bit.
Another idea is modifying the seat metal framework prior to it being reupholstered to allow more clearance of the cabling running below it...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:54 pm 

Yeah iv got my factor wires in and im going to mimic them on the other side with the rca's
After much umming and arghing iv decided to run a condute under the car, starting, just next ti the trans tunnel.
And coming through in the boot, going to use some 26 duo (gas line alloy plastic) ill tske some photos along the way,
Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:53 am 

xfacta wrote:
Battery in the boot and then only small signal wires go under the seat - is that an option? Although battery cables must then go under the seat too....
I'll have to go look at mine, I've got a feeling I was able to run the battery cable safely, or I would have been worried like you are.

I did that, but you still need to run a pretty hefty wire to the ALt. I used this route (Under the seat) Following the other wires. No issues. Make sure its secured with a good clamp. The seat does not hit the wire .