Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:25 pm 

hey guys! i did a search but couldn't really come up with the answers, as the title says i'm having some charging issues with my B310...

i've gotten it down to an issue with the external Reg (i believe), but i'm having trouble tracking down a replacement unit, the only 6 plug i've been recommended by R&E auto's was for an isuzu unit, and nowhere locally have i been able to find a 2nd hand unit out of a datto... my autoelec and i ran though a good half dozen external reg units he had sitting around out the back which all had a 6 pin setup, but nothing worked, 2 of the units turned off my dash lights, but voltage remained at the nominal float of the battery... i don't really want to throw money at the isuzu based unit to order it in if we have the same issues where it didn't actually fix the charge...

so my question really, is who has had a similar issue, and what was done to solve it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:39 pm 
Guru

Had the VR on my B120 die some months ago.
Decided instead of trying to find a replacement VR, I would go for an internally regulated alternator.
A Bluebird Bosch unit fitted perfectly.
Just happened to have one on the shelf in the shed :)
Had to use one of the old wires from the VR plug to connect to the Field terminal and all was OK.
Let me know if you need any more details.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:00 pm 

i've been contemplating going over to an internally regg'd unit, saves on some clutter in the engine bay and would make things a lot more simple...

which model bluebird? the L20b? and was it a direct bolt on? if not how much fiddling around was there to be had? if an L20b alt will bolt strait on it may be the best way to go for simplicity's sake... of course a 2nd hand reg would be easiest, but if it's not much worse i'd happily go with an internal reg alt...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:07 pm 
Guru

You would probably spend as much for a VR as you would on a replacement alternator.
I'm pretty sure the one I used is from a SII Bluebird which has an optional 60A alternator, probably for Air Conditioning.
Direct bolt in, same mounts and pulley orientation.
Wiring requires a wee bit of creativity to get the Charge Lamp to work properly.
U-K1 14V 60A
P/N 23100 V9600
I placed a maxi-fuse in series with the output to protect the wiring in case of a fault.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:23 pm 

Just get a oem bosch replacement all you got to do is unplug the old vr run the main power to it and make a wire to the white with a red trace wire from the old plug cause thats the charge lamp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:04 pm 

thank you heaps guys! i'm still open to a replacement VR, as the alt on the car now isn't overly old i don't believe, but it looks like i may be slapping on in internally reg'd unit...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:14 pm 
Guru

Here's the wiring for a 910 9 diode internally regulated alternator: -
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
910 alternator.JPG [ 130.57 KiB | Viewed 1927 times ]
The CHARGE light is connected to the D+ terminal.

graemes@internode.on.net