Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:34 pm 

Hi All

I bought one of those 1600 SSS steering column shrouds from Tokyo-2U on eBay. It has the separate left/right park light switch and a hazard switch. Looks cool but might be more trouble than it's worth

is there a trick or tip to wiring this into the standard 1600 under dash loom?

not really fussed on the park switches, but would like a hazard operating. Do you need to wire in another flasher can?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:56 pm 

Depends how many contacts the hazard switch has, and how they all connect/disconnect when operated.

The standard 1600 wiring diagrams usually depict models with the hazard switch wiring as well as without. You can choose to get a new fused power wire and flasher, or not, just depends on how much you want to do I suppose. There may be some merrit in keeping the hazard circuit seperate to the standard indicator circuit.

The easy setup needs fused power to a flasher can, then to the hazard switch common, and a switch contact to each of left and right indicator wires.
The contacts that go to the indicators will be open circuit when the switch is off, so that left and right indicator wires are NOT joined together (except when the hazard switch is on of course).

The more complex setup uses the existing flasher and power source, and basically breaks into the original indicator circuit.
1. When the hazard switch is off, the fused power and flasher feed into the normal indicator switch, and the left/right indicator wires go "through" the hazard switch and into the standard loom to the lights.
2. When the hazard switch is operated it disconnects the normal indicator switch entirely, and connects the fused power and flasher to both left/right indicator wires.
That's sort of the theory, you need to look at the wiring diagrams (easily available) and see what sort of hazard switch it is. Either way, all the wiring should be faily easy and contained within the column shroud. You might need to get a flasher can with a higher wattage rating that the standard old one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:02 pm 

Hi, If you pull out your dash cluster, above the speedo you will find some blue tape on the factory loom. Undo this and there is a 6 pin plug (that has bridge wire plugged into it) that the hazard switch plugs into and a extra two wires for a flasher. I used a factory flasher out of my other 1600 and it worked fine. There is also a 3 pin plug on the hazard switch loom with two green wires on it. These two wires cut the supply to the original flasher. The original flasher feed goes onto one of the green wires and the other green wire goes back to the flasher.
The other 3 pin plug on its own loom is for the parkers, you will have to rewire one side of the car to separate left from right. I would rewire the right side as it would be less work. You would have to wire two relays or two high amp diodes to allow this to work with the light switch as the light switch only has one output. I would go for the relay as it would take the load off 40 year old switches. You will also have to run a new fused supply for the parker switches on the hazard switch.

Greg.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:29 pm 

Cheers Greg! nice one.