Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 am 

Hi all, just doing a bit of research before I push the button on some new gauges. Firstly, does anyone know the ohms of the standard Datsun (1600) fuel sender? I'm seen a couple of people say it's around 0-90ohms but I haven't seen any proper confirmation on this.

VDO has two gauge options that I can see, this is the catalogue I'm referencing (page 7): http://aftermarket.continental-corporat ... E_2011.pdf

a) 301 010 011 - Fuel gauge (float arm) - 10 - 180 ohms - 12V
b) 301 010 010 - Fuel gauge LPG - 5 - 90 ohms - 12V - Suits 5 - 90 ohms LPG tank unit senders.

From what I can tell, there's two ways to go about this.

Option 1: Fit the 10-180 fuel gauge and use the matching VDO sender that is also 10-180 (part number 220.003). This is what azzdat is doing.
Option 2: Fit the 5-90 fuel gauge and use the standard Datsun sender, if it is in fact 0-90ohms.

Any feedback is appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:43 am 

Just spoke to Howard Instruments, they said that the 10-180 VDO sender uses a 5-hole fitting onto the tank, which might not work on the standard Datsun tank without modification. They can re-wind the standard sender to suit 10-180 at a cost of about $140. I'd really like to know the ohms range of the standard sender!

Links I've found that discuss standard ohms:

http://datnet.org/topic/13761-1600-fuel-sender-ohms/

http://datnet.org/topic/431-1600-fuel-l ... -readings/ (90 empty / 0 full)

ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28809

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:09 pm 

Although every sender slightly different , when doing my gauges tank sender unit read as follows--8 or 9 ohms full --89 ohms empty. If handy with multi meter that has ohms reading on it measure your self . This reading is also very close to some old readings/discussions in dime quarterly about standard tank sender . Auto Meter may have one reasonably close also. Gauges to match standard tank sensor that is.
wnw-244

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:35 pm 

Yeah from most things I've read it seems the full ohms varies from 0 to about 10, and the empty range is around 90. I think I'm going to order the LPG gauge then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 am 

The standard 1600 fuel sender is 8 ohms to 80 ohms - that's definitely what mine is. The other thing I noticed is the standard fuel sender float is positioned so that it's not affected by sloshing much at all.
I tried an after-market sender modified to fit and it was terrible for sloshing because the arm was different, the pivot point was different... Everything was just a bit too different to position the float correctly.

Rewinding the stock sender to suit the new guage is the best way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:34 am 

This dudes old man has an instruments shop from memory, he was helpful when I had some gauge questions previously. Probably a good person to bounce some questions off if he gets PM notifications.

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/memberlist.p ... ile&u=2613

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:34 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

There is a simple way to use a Empty: 0 Ohms to Full: 90 Ohms gauge with a Datsun 1600 (510) sender. The Datsun sender resistance is Empty: 88 Ohms and Full: 10 Ohms. So it is up-side-down for a 0-90 Ohms gauge. So, turn the sender unit up-side- down. Easy … because the Datsun sender unit is fitted to the side of the tank … carefully duplicate the cut-out slot of the sender mounting plate .. that locates the sender unit in the tank, but on the opposite side and bend the arm so that the float just sits on the bottom of the tank. Now the OEM Datsun sender unit installed "upside-down" tells the 0-90 Ohm gauge 10 Ohms when it is empty and 88 Ohms when it is full and 35-40 Ohms at halfway … not perfect, but OK.

Last edited by AlanDatsomefun on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:19 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

… and if you are worried about fuel gauge inaccuracy as the fuel level gets close to empty, you can compensate for this by positioning the float arm so that it is somewhat clear of the bottom of the tank when in the lowest position.
Another really neat way is approach this is to start with a sender unit out of a Datsun 280C or similar … cut the float arm close to the middle, trim the pieces so you have an overlap of about 10mm and a float arm the same length as the OEM 510 sender unit. The two pieces can be joined by brazing - CAREFULLY - just ensure that you do not allow heat to affect the float or the sender unit mechanism - protect these with damp rags. Then bend the float arm as described earlier. Now, shift your attention to the arm that has the little encapsulated float switch at its end - this is the one with the (white) wire is wrapped around … bend this arm so that the little float switch sits just above the bottom of the tank. Now you will have a gauge that reads reasonably accurately, except when the tank is very close to empty … no problems … when this happens you can connect a warning light to the float switch terminal - this will give you an "idiot's warning lamp" to tell you when fuel is low.