I'm modifying the standard 1600 wiring to fit in with an L20 with Bosch internal regulated alternator, elec dizzy and Bosch HEC coil.
I got the wiring in a box with a rolling shell and the motor came later so I am starting a bit from scratch.
After plenty of good info on this forum and using the service manual wiring diagram, I think I have got most of it sorted.
But before I start cutting and soldering wiring, I'd appreciate it if someone who has done this before could confirm what I am about to do and answer some queries.
In relation to the coil, there are 4 wires taped together.
- BL which splits to BG (and I understand goes to the +ve side of the coil) and BL which goes to the ballast resistor
- BW which goes to the other end of the ballast resistor - I understand that I remove the ballast resisitor and join BL and BW Correct
- I also have another BG (which a female blade terminal) - what is this for? I think that just joins to the other BG terminal if you trace it back into to the loom.
- I have a YG (female bullet terminal) where does this go? Unused and taped up normally. Goes back to the YG cable under the dash that connects to the factory handbrake switch. This wire connects to another female bullet connector and then splits pff to the fuse box. Wiring diagram suggest that the second bullet connector goes to the Hand Brake Warning Lamp Switch (a B wire) - where do I find this? The black wire is soldered onto the switch itself. Usually mounted on the handbrake bracket up under the dash which may have been removed from your car at some point.
I've attached a diagram of the current wiring which is taped together and marked 'alternator'.
This is what I propose to do:
- 2 connector with Y and WB - obsolete and remove
- 3 connector with WR and B (thin wire) and B (thick wire) - connect WR to Alternator (D+ terminal), B (thin) goes to indicators so I can remove and earth this wire, B (think) is obsolete and remove.
- 6 pin connector which goes to regulator - B and WB (from 2 connector) are obsolete and remove, join WB and WR together and join W and Y together (according to topic on ratsun) but where does the other end of Y go if I remove the above 2 connector? You should have a terminal S and L on the alternator. WR (thin) goes to L terminal and S joins to B+ terminal.
- where does the 4 pin connector plug into? This is an optional passing light relay connector. I don't seem to have any other connector and can't locate it on the wiring diagram. I propose to remove B, RW and RL but what do I do with BY - does this splice into the thicker BY that does to the starter motor so I can simply remove it? It runs back into the dash where it connects to the turn signal sw. This wire can be removed.
And then I run a 8mm cable from the Alternator (B+ bolt) to the starter motor (+ve). Yep
Sorry for the long post but I figured this will be easy and quick for someone who knows what they are doing so I can try to sort my other datto issues.