Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:32 pm 

Something I've been wondering about recently while thinking about my ignition setup.
Background:
Im planning on running a low blow turbo (5-7psi) on my Gazelle. It's not really a power chasing exercise. More a learning and see what happens exercise.
I have a couple of old jaycar kits for the tuning side of things.
The digital fuel adjuster for the fuel side (seems like it'll be pretty straightforward to put into the L-Jetronic based Hitachi Ecu on the S12) and the jaycar programmable ignition controller for the ignition side.
The s12 runs a reluctor based dizzy with the reluctor and ignition module combined so I'll set up the ignition module to be triggered by the ignition signal (there are multiple options to build the unit) and then drive a coil.
Now the ignition controller can't drive a coil directly, you then need to build or get from somewhere a coil driver and off you go.
Now my question is, are ignitors the same as coil drivers?
Could i simply get something like an LS1 coil and send my new signal straight to it.
And in addition the Ca20e is a twin spark motor (well mine is, not all are). Can anyone foresee any problems in sending the signal to two ls1 coils and retaining my twin spark setup (both coils in the oem setup are driven by the same ignition module and the timing etc is the same).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 am 

I was interested in an answer to your question, too. I have a set of LS coils that I plan to run.
Did you get your answer elsewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:29 am 

I didn't get an answer, I did however buy a pair of LS coils and I've got all the bits there to bench test it, but i've had alot of other stuff going on and i've not touched it for a little while now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:23 pm 
Guru

"Could i simply get something like an LS1 coil and send my new signal straight to it."
Yes the LS coils have their own igniter.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
LS1 coil pinouts.jpg [ 42.68 KiB | Viewed 2403 times ]
If you really want to retain the twin spark setup I cant see why the LS coils can't achieve that.
I gather you are retaining the HT distributor function and not going to a COP setup?

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:49 am 

Yeah no COP, the ignition module takes the output from the regular coil driver in the coil, then outputs an offset signal however you've mapped it (the dizzy will be locked, the computer will do the advance/retard, it's got a map sensor for the boost retard, a GM one).
The output signal from the ignition module will just split into the two LS1 coils which will drive back through the dizzy to the 2 banks of spark plugs.
I've built my computers and i've got the coils/connectors and locked my spare dizzy so those parts are done.
I've got to bench test the lot at some point and go from there.