Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 pm 

Hi all

What's my best bet for a light-weight starter motor to suit a high-compression L18? The engine was running in excess 10:1-ish when it was built but I expect a chunk of that has left the building. The car is a heavily modified 1975 180B SSS.

Thanks!
Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:38 am 

High comp needs a strong starter and L series 6 cylinder bolt on and do the job but they're heavy. I use an RB30 starter. They're a gear type so they're light, they bolt on and although the solenoid position isn't ideal they fit OK. Plus they're easily available and relatively cheap.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:31 am 

Thanks for the reply! Is this the beast? https://www.automotiveelectricsonline.c ... an-skyline

What's the issue with the solenoid? Is it too close to the block or the steering box? Comparing it to the L18 version (https://www.automotiveelectricsonline.c ... -180b-200b) it looks like the solenoid is going to get mighty close.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:19 am 

Hi Duncan,
Sorry it's been so long since I checked here.
My starter has the solenoid on the opposite side to the block so it has about 10mm clearance to the steering box. That's never been a problem. If your steering box or engine moves over 10mm it's not the starter motor that needs fixing.
I think there are other RB series starter motors with slightly different solenoid positioning but I never bothered to chase them up as they'd be rare and more expensive than the local RB30 units. If you know anyone with a heap of Skyline RB motor spares they may have something lying around.
Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:28 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I use a gear reduction style starter. Have seen them advertised for Zed cars on Ebay in the US...