Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Dash Caps
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 am 

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the dash caps from America they look like a cheap alternative to getting a whole new pad.

Post subject: Re: Dash Caps
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:47 pm 

I have one in my car. For the money they are great... they are hard plastic instead of the squishy foam/vinyl. The one I purchased was a decent price, but shipping was stupid expensive (and I live in the US). I can only imagine what it would be to ship it to Australia.

Here are some photos:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:52 pm 

Yeah right that looks like good quality.The foam under mine is pretty shagged as well will this matter to much or does the cap replace the foam and all.
Thanks for the feedback

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:48 pm 

The cap goes on top over the shitty foam. It wont really matter the foam condition other than if its super cracked and raised up in places you might want to cut the cracks down to even them out. You need to keep most of the foam still on the frame though since the cap is so thin.

A more expensive option is send your frame in to a US place that will rebuild a new pad on your frame. You would either need to buy a frame here and have someone send it in for you or send your frame over here and have it shipped back. I hear its rather expensive though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:54 am 

Just got a quote back from the US place I mentioned and it looks like they want US$1200 to rebuild a new pad on your frame. A bit out of my price range lol...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 pm 

It's not super expensive to get them re-done by a trimmer. Mine was about $200, and it had more work on it than normal with the double stitching etc.

Cheers,

Trent

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
P1000407 - Copy.JPG [ 344.86 KiB | Viewed 5461 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:31 am 

I did a 120 y dash pad on my moms car and all I did was to sand and fill the cracks with silicon.After doing that I then had to trace the hole pattern of the radio speaker holes.I did this by masking taping a piece of paper to the old dash and poked a pencil in all the holes to Aquire the pattern.I then glued 1/4" 6 mm foam on it but I transferred the hole pattern to the foam with an art line felt pen. I did this to the vinyl too to punch out all the holes I used a small single hole punch , block of wood and hammer.I glued on the foam with contact adhesive lining up the speaker holes. next the vinyl was stretched over the pad. I managed to do this with one piece by stapling and glueing it on the underside of the pad. It is very difficult to stretch vinyl like that but carefully using a heat gun and vice grips you can stretch it.1600 / 510 page would be far easier. Your other method is to cut out patterns and sew in seams and recover it .Lots of guys in the 70's and 80's used that crappy looking fake furry sh*t and contact.Thank god that has gone out of vogue these days.Only a minor concern really for me but if you don't have the knowledge or skill then you just need to pay for one.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:56 pm 

DatsEZ+ wrote:
I did a 120 y dash pad on my moms car and all I did was to sand and fill the cracks with silicon.After doing that I then had to trace the hole pattern of the radio speaker holes.I did this by masking taping a piece of paper to the old dash and poked a pencil in all the holes to Aquire the pattern.I then glued 1/4" 6 mm foam on it but I transferred the hole pattern to the foam with an art line felt pen. I did this to the vinyl too to punch out all the holes I used a small single hole punch , block of wood and hammer.I glued on the foam with contact adhesive lining up the speaker holes. next the vinyl was stretched over the pad. I managed to do this with one piece by stapling and glueing it on the underside of the pad. It is very difficult to stretch vinyl like that but carefully using a heat gun and vice grips you can stretch it.1600 / 510 page would be far easier. Your other method is to cut out patterns and sew in seams and recover it .Lots of guys in the 70's and 80's used that crappy looking fake furry sh*t and contact.Thank god that has gone out of vogue these days.Only a minor concern really for me but if you don't have the knowledge or skill then you just need to pay for one.
DatsEZ
Interesting. Do you have any pics?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:11 pm 
Guru

I'm in the process of making a foam dash pad for my '65 Fairlady.
Pics are here: -
https://nissanman.shutterfly.com/2920

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:03 pm 

Nice work, Nissanman, thats going to look great

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:34 pm 

I've repaired foam with silicon before too (on a motorbike seat) and then stretched a new cover over it and stapled it down. Cover was leather so stretchier than vinyl but it has worked well.
Fixed my door trim top foams with silicon too and got a trimmer recovering them. He's taking his sweet arse time but hopefully have them back soon and hopefully they look good. Silicon ftw. I filled the cracks with silicon and covered it all with glad wrap to shape it without getting it all stuck to everything else. I tried overfilling the cracks and shaving it back with a razor but it didn't work as well