Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00 pm 

Has anyone had success with spraying their original black vinyl door cards a different colour?

Do you need to use a primer? Better results out of a spray gun rather than a pressure pack, do you clear it? etc etc.

Any help would be great, as i got onto a guy who sprays door trims for a living (does all work for Rare Spares) and he charges $120+gst per trim. He will almost guarantee to match any colour. This might sound reasonable, but when you look at the figures below, it's getting a bit too costly for (at the end of the day) good old datsun door trims.

Muscle car parts trims = $389, spray each one @ $132 = $917. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:22 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

You can do it with vinyl specific spray paint.
If you have a custom colour it might be cheaper to get the paint colour matched and supplied in a tin for use with a spray gun rather than put into pressure pack cans but last time i used VHT cans as the burgundy was good enough for what i wanted.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/prepspray/
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/adhesion/
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/vinyldye/

A spray gun would probably cover the surface quicker as it has a larger spray pattern and will apply a more uniform layer of paint but the cans work aswell.
The difficulty in spraying used trims is that there is grime and protectant like armour-all (silicone polish etc) which reacts with the paint and it needs to be thoroughly cleaned off (see Vht prep spray) and a primer (see Vht adhesion promoter) can also be used that assists the paint to adhere to the vinyl. I missed this step and the vinyl wore off easier than i wanted to i'd try the primer next time.
New trims should be easier to paint.
If you are able, id give it a go yourself and practice on a used trim first to perfect the prep and painting before doing the good ones.
Also, there are a few places around making repro door trims and im sure one of them could do them in other colours. Might be worth a couple emails to see...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:18 am 

Thanks nick. Ive tried emailing all the sellers on ebay selling trims. Muscle car parts, pro stitch in sydney, one other in sydney.
The problem is that heating the vinyl to press to trim only allows a certain type of material to be used. Ive ordered samples of this specific vinyl from a supplier, novatex in Melbourne, of every sample close to my leather but no luck to closely match.
I have a very average set of door trims at home, might be worth sacrificing them as test dummies.
cheers