Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:21 pm 

Only got datto #5 recently and its cancer ridden (arn't they all)Not to really worry about though.Just gathering up some gear to start work on the car.A full strip down of the car is first up but I may need guidance setting up my workshop.So far I bought a compressor a spray gun and some air tools.I priced a new gas mig welder and a media blasting unit and some assorted panel beating hammers and dollies.I have various abrasive and cutting tools but wonder what else I may need.?My issue was storing all the components whilst the body gets attention.Quite a few parts to store and keep in order for future reassembly.You folk have any tips for keeping these things in order to make assembly easier when the time comes.Also what would be the biggest consumeables you use.?I am thinking abrasives and paint strippers.What do you folk think.?I need quite a bit of guidance in this I reckon.
DatsEZ.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 pm 

Get yourself some zip lock stlye bags and put everything in individual bags and write on the bags what it is and where it goes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:10 pm 
Guru

I admire your attitude in wanting to tackle this yourself :hail:
Having done a full resto. myself, trust me I know how much effort is involved [and $$$$$$$$]
You get to develop skills, gain satisfaction and in the end you can stand back and say, "I DID THAT!".
You will go through a ship load of welding consumables and abrasives.
I would suggest you find a friendly Workshop who are prepared to give you information in exchange for some business [or beer!].
You need to follow a definite plan with specific products to arrive at your goal.
Time will be a big problem.
Panel problems I found quite easy to repair, but after a while you start chasing your tail and need to break out and start protecting what you have done.
Some primers can be left for ~3 months before requiring further coats so there is an urgency there.
Do plenty of research, develop a plan with certain products and go for it :cheers

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:00 am 

Thank you.I don't have a choice cause I can't afford to get other folk to do too much work for me.I am not building my motor or rebuilding my SU carbs but body work upolstery wireing and trimming I can handle.I got my welder and media blasting unit yesterday.My skill level is down a bit so I have an old box trailer to practice on.The latest news is my wife is looking at buying herself a 1600 too.I suppose It could be a good idea to do two datto's at once as opposed to doing one and start another one after.I have been contemplating putting up shelving and have designated areas to store components .The zip lock bags are a great idea.My wife is in a wheel chair so The L 20 with SU and auto transmission I currently have would be good for her car.I still would like to run a L 16 ior L 18 with twin webbers and 5 speed on my car.It will be interesting building two cars simultaneously .I am thinking why not but I realise it is twice the work.As I am semi retired I at least have the time.It's probably foolish for folk in their late 50's to be playing around with old rusty cars.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:37 am 

I just measured my workshop and I can just fit two rotisseries a side by side.I am fortunate in having access to plenty of scrap steel for free but I need to build two rotisseries too.I figure at least two or three days a week will need to be put into these cars as I hope to have two datto's done in 3 years time before I reach 60 years of age.I reckon it beats sitting on my A$$ and doing nothing with my time.Not too sure but I am thinking this will end up being about 30 grand at least to do two cars.(don't you luv old Datto's)No cure for Datto desease Hey.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:17 pm 

Hi DatsEZ+
You have solved the hardest problem you will have come across already --------Having the other half interest or wanting a car to. The rest will be easy .
Rgds WNW-244

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:19 pm 

Yeah the missus was a bit of a rev head in the day despite being unlicensed for about 10 years.When I came on the scene I made her legal and helped her get a licence.No worry of getting busted being unlicensed now.She had a datto back then too.There is no urgency to do these cars but the most important thing is for us to build them as good as we can possibably can.Don't worry she will be helping me with upolstery and a bit of hand polishing bits and pieces.As we get older life seems better.I almost lost her a few months ago.Fortunately she is still with me and the kids and grand kids too.We are both fortunate to have quieted down enough to realise how important our relationship is.You know she let me spend quit a bit of money to set up my workshop.I haven't spent it all yet but it's 2 k so far.
DatsEZ