Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: aircraft landing lights
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:20 pm 

Just wondering if anyone knows where i can sounce some aircraft landing lights for my 1600. I have heard that the rally guys use them in place of the normal high beams

any thoughts would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:15 pm 

I used to use 100 watt high beam inserts, I suppose you could call them "landing lights", they are available at most auto parts outlets...they have a clear outer lens, unlike normal outer lights which have small ribbing/lines to amplify the light.
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:19 pm 

a friend had a pair of 150 watters from a cessna 310 from memory.
stuffed if i know how you go about getting them though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:21 am 

try your local flying club they may be able to help. i think you would be after fixed wing lights as helo lights twist and turn with a remote. if you wanted a suntan from a pair of lights. my mate was telling me about lights that he uses on harvesters ie corn pickers, wheat pickers. he said they will light up around a couple of acres. cost around 1500 upwards each :shock:

graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:05 pm 

usually aeroplane lights runa t like 24v. I got mine in like autobahn and they were selling em super cheap (like under $10 ea). They are more than enough than u need on the road.

BTW clear lens inners are illegal (at least in vic)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:58 pm 

i know this is a little off topic but...... has anyone seen lightforce lights...they're used for spot-lighting.....absolutely bloody amazing!!!!!!
I have seen them fitted to a few cars and trucks....and they have a variety of filters that can be fitted. I imagine that they would work a treat. Extremely powerful...(think that the units lights are measured in candlepower? :shock:)

can imagine that they would be pretty fragile though

http://www.lightforce.net.au/

rather than D!ck about with these plane lights why not invest in a set of decent driving lights...(Cibie IPF etc) My old man is an ARB distributor and stocks IPF lights......i have found them to be quite good and well priced.

What you need is a pair of pencils, a pair of spreads, some cornering lights.......and some stiffer springs to hold the front of the car up!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:18 pm 

yeah driving lights would be good but i don't want to wreck the stylish look of my 1600, as well as drill holes in my bumper. i want landing lights just to replace the stock high beams. I have seen them before and it actually looks good with two clear glass inside lights and two stockers on the outside

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:30 pm 

Ok,

What about the really cool looking new BMW lights? I have seen a pair of these (a quartet?) on a 16, and they look cool on park!

They are xenon discharge I think. Dont know the intensity. Maybe someone could come up with a mount system for them and sell em on Ozdat? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:33 pm 

i would love 2 know more about these..
also seen the BMW 5-series lights with the "halo" inside the lens? love the look of them.. (like a ring of light inside the lens)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:58 pm 

mmm interesting, so these bmw lights are a direct replacement. I suppose they would be pricy?? bmw stuff is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:00 pm 

You can buy new lights with the "angel eye" glow. they also have the ability to take the new bulbs, and are craploads blighter. I'll see if I can find a link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:26 pm 

The best inserts were the 4" inserts from 747's that light up the tail logo. These little blighters are 12 Volt/250watt. I "acquired" 2 of them when i was an apprentice at Qantas years ago! Fuckmedead they were bright but drawing 20 amp each needed individual relays and was a bit of a load on the electrical system!!

Repco, Autobarn and the like stock the inserts you want. Just ask for "100 watt sealed beam inserts"

The come in 4" and (I think) 5 & 1/4"

They are excellent long range lights but make sure you use decent wire and relays for them to get the best out of them.

They are worth around 35 bucks each insert.

L8tr
E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:22 pm 

Ok, now i think i know which lights your talking about. My dad had a pair of those 100 watter sealed beams on the 200B before i got my mittens on it. They had the flat lens on them,...well the clear lens on them, However, when i upgraded to H1 semi sealed beams....holy sh!t, Its light daylight in front of my car now. Its amazing what a pair of 100watt zenon lights can do, those blueish lights....135watt output and its a very 'white' light

Recommended Traders: Datsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:02 pm 

Quote:
I know this is a little off topic but...... has anyone seen lightforce lights...they're used for spot-lighting.....absolutely bloody amazing!!!!!!
I have seen them fitted to a few cars and trucks....and they have a variety of filters that can be fitted. I imagine that they would work a treat. Extremely powerful...(think that the units lights are measured in candlepower? )

can imagine that they would be pretty fragile though
The Light Force lights aren't fragile at all. In fact, they're bulletproof (part of the marketing spiel is to shoot at the lens with a .22 rifle at 150m). The lenses and bodies are polycarobonate (bullet proof glass). This makes them incredibly light and strong.

A few of my mates run them on their 4WD's, but I haven't seen them used much in rallying.

Lampy - if you get some H1 inserts for your high beam, this will give you about the best result short of going to separate driving lights. They have ones with slight vertical lines on them (just enough to make them legal). When I had a set of these on the front of my rally car, you couldn't tell when the Rallye 1000 medium beam spotties were turned on. Wasn't until I fitted a pair of Cibie Super Oscars and a pair of Rallye 2000's that the spotties were any better than the high beam inserts.

Also, don't waste your money on anything more than 100W globes. Going higher than 100W gives only slightly more light, usually burns the reflectors, and tend to blow the globes much more frequently. I've never burned out a 100W globe, whereas I burned out 125 and 130W globes all the time until I switched back to 100W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:28 pm 

my mates dad had them on his land rover... far out they are bright!!!! its like turning on the sun :lol:

Mazda 121 - Daily