Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:23 pm 

Looking good mate,
those r32 gtr wheels look sweet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:54 pm 

Hey there Leigh,

Heard about your mishap with the wall thats really bad but glad to hear that you were OK from it. Damn those brakes :) The subsequent repair and modification work though is looking really good.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:08 am 

Thanks andrew, when are you back in the country to lead the megasquirt charge again? you have some new followers...

Well I got my car to the dyno for its first start and run since the new bits.

So the changes have been 630 odd cc siemens injectors, top feed fuel rail, sard adjustable reg, supposed 750hp in tank denso fuel pump (from efi hardware) new 3/8 alloy fuel lines and -6 braided lines with speedflow fitings. I also added some stage one HKS 256 inlet 264 exhaust cams and was going to be tuning it for more boost now the fuel system was up to it.

ended up having some fuel pressure issues at 6000 rpm but tuned around it. not really happy with the pump and will be looking further into it. ended up with 206.5 kwatw which i am stoked about.

now i have to0 get stuck into making my new front coilovers. Front springs are being upgraded to 300lb and rears (coilovers) will stay at 250 lb, just one inch longer.

Phillip island is in one month from today, pressure is on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:52 am 

Good luck Leigh.
http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/daughterboards.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 am 

Hi there Leigh,

Looks like I wont be back until July or so now, which is ashame because I was making some good progress before leaving-I reckon the other megasquirt guys have well and truly overtaken me now.

Congrats on the latest results! If I was home I might've been able to help with a Bosch pump? Good luck with the preparations for PI-any more suspension update photos?

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:24 pm 

well i've been working my arse off trying to get to PI on the 29th. I've removed the original mounting tabs on the rear crossmember and added slotted ones, moved in a few mm. I am having to get the cv shafts shortened now :( but its helping fitting the big bags under the rear.

wheels are 16 x 8 inch front and rear, front are five stud and rear are still four stud for now. front struts are now r31 with my koni yellows being rebuilt to suit the 300lb springs. still waiting on my coilover and camber top hardware from america (not happy about that but thats another story...) r33 gtst four spot sumitomo with QFM A1RM pads.

i've also installed an oil cooler with -8 lines and a winged extra capacity sump as well as autometer oil temp and pressure guages.

at the moment the front guards need some flaring, hopefully getting done today.

i'd better get back to the shed!

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:38 pm 

Leigh,
Did you order T3 stuff for from the US, if so what was the hassle?
Id like to head that storey, pm it if you would like.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:14 pm 

Yeah its T3 gear. After conversations with the guy he told me that the stuff would be 2-3 weeks after i paid. I called him on the day that marked 3 weeks because i couldn't handle waiting any more and he told me that the stuff was all boxed up and ready to be sent the next day!

A friend of mine also had the same issue, so the stuff is good and he is a good bloke to deal with but seems to be lazy and has bad communication. There is a possibilty that it will juuust arrive in time but its not looking good :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:29 pm 

Bad News

I have been thinking of buying a coilover kit and strut tops from him for ages. With the exchange rate works out well.

What length / spec springs did you get???

cheers

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:15 am 
Hey Lag, Do you reckon 16x8's (and I'm assuming 225's) are overkill for the front of a 510? I'm guessing you dont based on what you have done but I'd be keen to hear your thoughts/reasoning for going down this path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:37 pm 

jimmy, yeah tell me about it! i ended up going for an 8 inch spring in 300lb for the front. I had previously run 255 lb and they were no worries on the street. since i was upgrading power wise and brake wise and after some research 300 should still be fine on the road and a bit better on the track. the shocks have been built to suit them too as they were sort of set up as 90/10's from my old 1200 wagon.

r30 - the main reason for the 8's rather than 7's for the front was actually ease and cost of getting a 225 race tyre rather than anything else. the 225 50 16 was a control tyre in the bridgestone re55's for saloon cars (i think) and so there are a few sets of 2nd hand stuff floating around. similar story for the toyo r888, they seem to be a popular size and so the 2nd hand market is ok. Failing that i can get the old model bridgestone re540 for under $200 a tyre. almost twice the price if i wanted a 215 50 16!

plus i figured if they fit then they will only be a positive. On the street i will only be running 6.5 inch fronts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:53 pm 

Nice wheel choice Leigh 8)

[ img ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:19 pm 
LAG_510 wrote:

r30 - the main reason for the 8's rather than 7's for the front was actually ease and cost of getting a 225 race tyre rather than anything else. the 225 50 16 was a control tyre in the bridgestone re55's for saloon cars (i think) and so there are a few sets of 2nd hand stuff floating around. similar story for the toyo r888, they seem to be a popular size and so the 2nd hand market is ok. Failing that i can get the old model bridgestone re540 for under $200 a tyre. almost twice the price if i wanted a 215 50 16!

plus i figured if they fit then they will only be a positive. On the street i will only be running 6.5 inch fronts.
Understand, I'm always one for practical solutions as well. Good luck with it and I hope we can go head to head in years time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:08 pm 

I love racing amongst other dat's, so R30rally i can't wait!

Well i ended up making it down to the island to race, got a little track time but then unfortunately the afternoon rained out.

The T3 gear arrived Wednesday arvo and i built the struts on thursday. Due to going with the R31 struts for the R33 gtst brake gear i lost a lot of negative camber due to the stub axle angle. I have slightly lengthened 1600 lower control arms and with the T3 strut tops in all the way i have max neg camber of 3.5 deg. The T3 tops go in a lot further than my old cusco ones.

because i needed to flare the guards but didn't have the time to get it done properly i bought some old bogged up guards to use for the time being and had them flared by a friend very quickly, they suited the purpose but were very lumpy and unattractive!

After some tentative first laps i gained confidence in the car and it brakes and handles very well. i am very very happy with the QFM pads and would recommend them to anyone. I can't wait to get some more track time!

interestingly the oil cooler i added seemed an unnecessary addition as the temps barely reached 80 degrees, although it was very cold and i wasn't going at 100%

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Post subject: Which club?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:43 pm 

What club do you race with? Hoping to get my 1600 back on track in April but normally 1 other 1600 at best when I go to NCCA and PIARC events. Your photo shows quite a few dattos. Always more fun when there's a few around to compare notes. What times did you do this weekend?