Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:36 pm 

Hi Guys,

I have some time before the decision needs to be made, I guess ultimately once the grille goes on I can see what it looks like and if I'm not 100% happy can paint it at that point. I'm happy for a bit of chrome on the outside but the engine bay I would like to have it so that it "represents" a standard looking setup....If you know what I mean. Ross, the ambicooler! LOL like the idea!

Jasol, Thanks for the feedback I'm really enjoying the build just need more time & $ ;) Starting to get a lot more confident with the welder and grinder. Also a huge appreciation for all the hard work people put into their cars here!

This weekend I have plans to do a bit more welding around the front and then work on sourcing a radiator. I have lots of work to do in fitting the cooler as the rad support is in such a mess. I'm up for the challenge! My window is only 4 hours on sat so will see how much can be accomplished.

I'm meeting with another panel beater next week as well to try and determine what can be done on the rear quarters.

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 pm 

how's you go on the weekend trent?
I have some modded r31 rear caliper brackets if you want to borrow them
as a template for yours?

Had them done at nissco

cheers

71' datsun 1600 - the project

90' 180sx - bit of sh*t skid machine. one day sr20det donor for the 1600.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 pm 

Hey Jono,

Thanks, I have these rear caliper brackets, I hope they are the correct ones! Can show you next time we catch up.

I will get the radiator tomorrow and then start to play. Unfortunately about 30 mins work on the car on the weekend so nothing to report. I expected 4 hours and got tied up with something else.

This weekend isnt looking good either which is a shame. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:43 pm 

Hi All,

Bit of an update. Not a huge amount of time over the past few weeks but had 4 hours today.

- Started work on the rad support. This thing has been bugging me from day 1. The previous owner/s had hacked it out with the grinder with a whole lot of right angle cuts ! NICE. Anyway started to rebuild it and have finished the RHS. I took the corner of another datto 1600 rad support and extended it. Now as wide as the new radiator. Thanks Jono ! Next I took a flat piece of steel and shaped it with a lip around the inside for additional strength. Would be nice to have some proper tools but the end of the edge of the workbench did the trick. Still need to do the other side. No filler in it yet, will do all that after blasting but should only need a super light skim over the top. It was a fun job just really fiddley.
- Started on the left side but ran out of time so its just a few tacks on the back of it at the moment
- Radiator came in the other day but haven’t done anything with it yet. Will look into Niks solution and borrow it ;)
- For those of you wondering, yes the rad support has been painted with a brush at some point.....

All feedback welcome :)

Cheers,

Trent

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5366.JPG [ 310.86 KiB | Viewed 2689 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5361.JPG [ 207.31 KiB | Viewed 2689 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5359.JPG [ 39.84 KiB | Viewed 2689 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5357.JPG [ 312.26 KiB | Viewed 2689 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5362.JPG [ 246.73 KiB | Viewed 2689 times ]

Last edited by hailest on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:18 pm 

With painting the intercooler. I used Wurth matt black heat resistant. Not cheap for pressure pack, but heat resistant up to 650 deg C. Good sh*t been on intercooler and oil cooler for about 2 years no problems (I wouldn't use any of that supercheap brand crap paint). I originally planned to leave cooler with alloy finish but it looked quite noticable behind grill so decided to black it out. Looks heaps better now.

It also depends if you are restoring the stainless grill to original spec with centre blacked out which is what I did. I notice some people leave the grill all stainless. Which might look ok with alloy cooler behind.

Also wouldn't it of been easier to drill out spot welds and spot new front end piece on instead of having plates everywhere?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:45 pm 

At this stage I'm thinking the grille will be standard but as for the cooler, once it's in I'll have a look and see, I'd prefer the stealth look but just depends how much you can see with it. I should have the engine in the week after xmas if all goes to plan. Can take a look then. Not interested in saving a few $$ in paint, will always spend some more or wait until I can get the good stuff.

As for replacing the rad support with a donor, yeah I have thought about it a few months ago and it still might be an option. I'm in no hurry and would like to try and repair as much as I can with the existing shell. If it turns out bad I'll rip it out and put a donor one in :) The donor one would still need to be cut/modified as well. I wanted to increase the radiator opening so that it fits the new radiator I have.

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:47 am 

Looking great Trent. Should work fine!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:51 pm 

Hi All,

Bit of an update, I have been working flat out on the car for the past few days. Unexpected time off work so a week dedicated to the datto now.

I have finished the rad support mod, this was a huge job in the end, I shouldn’t have made up all the holes before fitting the Intercooler, turns out I had to chop away most of the work I had done then blah you all know the story. So it looks a bit funky because of the colours etc but it’s all pretty neat. I’d hate to think how much time I put into that rad support.... Anyways job done, will run some rubber along the bottom edge and also around the IC silicon piping. Also slightly cut the rad support brace and then re-welded it to look factory, well kinda factory. Actually I think this was a waste of time but eh why not.

Today I made the rad support mounts, based off Nik’s advise. Came up really well. Need a nutsert/rivnut tool to install it but im struggling to part with $150 + for a tool which will be used about 10-20 times on the car. Hmmm need to find one somewhere.

All feedback welcome :)

**EDIT**

In case anyone is wondering, that looks dangerous in the 3rd photo. It's bolted into a stand at the back, "dodgy stand" at the front and then strap around the roof onto the a-frame in the shed as a backup. That suckers going nowhere!

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5423.JPG [ 71.89 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5422.JPG [ 106.2 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5421.JPG [ 173.57 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]
[ attachment ]
IMG_5411.JPG [ 79.95 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]

Last edited by hailest on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:56 pm 

You went the BMW E38 Rad then?

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 pm 

Hey Ross,

Yeah, I have some tips for would be fitters to not run into the same traps as I did:

- Radiator is the same as Nik's (Maybe different brand Hella) Thanks for the advise Nik! :)
- With mine I filled in the gaps of the rad support panel where the original owner/s had cut it all away. The problem I had was that I made the hole 100% same size as the radiator core. If I had of made it 10~15 mm smaller on each side I would have had a much easier time fitting the intercooler piping. The big issue I found with the rad was that the end tank on the turbo side was larger than the inlet side. So had I made the rad opening a little smaller I could have shifted the rad over 10mm and all would have been fine.

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:39 am 

They are a really good size for an SR20DET with a thermo fan. I have never had my car overheat, even when driving in peak hour on 45deg days. When the car is moving, it stays right on 80degC as there is enough frontal area of the 1600 to pump the air through.
Love it...
Good work Trent. Lookin' the goods. Your brackets are exact replica's of mine! :D
Nutsert gun is VALUABLE! You need one! They are very handy to have.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:58 am 

Hi Nik,

hmmm... funny about that! LOL.

I have found a nutsert tool in Morabbin this morning $99inc so will go and pick that up after lunch. Finish the rad this morning and then the engine is ready to go in! How exciting...

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:34 pm 

Good work trent!!
Good to see your rad support dramas are behind you :thumbsup:
really coming along nicely

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:57 pm 

Thanks Jono,

today was 2 steps forward 1 step back, turns out I will need to remake the rad support mounts, to be done tomorrow morning now. It just so happens that the holes I had drilled in the mounts we right on a seam on the chassis rail!!!! Damn it. I tried to come back a few mm but the radiator was just to far back from the IC. So unfortunately will have to make them bigger so I can get over the seam and in the correct spot damn it, was a bit of a wasted day.

I brought the rivnut/nutsert tool (very cool) but yeah need to spend a few hours int he morning re-making the mounts!

I had planned for the engine in tomorrow but looks like will be Friday or next week now. Anyone put the engine in by themselves? I'm not sure how hard it will be, I guess will find out :)

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:09 pm 

all a bit of a learning curve isnt it.
i have all of that cooler mounting and radiator fun in front of me hahaha
when i mounted my motor i did it by myself, pretty simple..

If you want i can come over after work and help out.

just send me a msg