Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: 411 Wagon you say
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:57 pm 

Bozo510 wrote:
[ img ]
The coppers not usually fluent in nihongo to read the jp plates :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:11 pm 

That faded cherry color hit with some good wax will come up swell
its a fine shade which I also had in my old vb10 always changes
colour depending on the uv and time of day! very temperamental colour!

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/wordpre ... -wagon.jpg
http://www.datsun1000.com/UserImages/Ma ... its-34.jpg

ebay catalogue pinched while still available just print it!
https://www.autolit.net/Graphics/0705/mw3050.jpg
https://www.autolit.net/Graphics/0705/mw3050a.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:37 am 

d wrote:
That faded cherry color hit with some good wax will come up swell
its a fine shade which I also had in my old vb10 always changes
colour depending on the uv and time of day! very temperamental colour!

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/wordpre ... -wagon.jpg
http://www.datsun1000.com/UserImages/Ma ... its-34.jpg

ebay catalogue pinched while still available just print it!
https://www.autolit.net/Graphics/0705/mw3050.jpg
https://www.autolit.net/Graphics/0705/mw3050a.jpg
Thanks for the link to the pics. I'll just be wiping this car down with Penetrol from Bunnings to preserve and hopefully prevent any further rust :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:03 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Bozo510 wrote:
---------------

Question - What are the tricks for getting fuel up the fuel line in the car from the petrol tank? Am I going to have to use the compressor again when the time comes? (need to clean up fuel tank before re-installing).

I think your fuel pump is out of order....maybe, once you've cleaned up your fuel tank, lines, replaced any (potentially blocked) filters, etc you may need to check the fuel pump is working OK by running the engine from your jerry can and watching if the mechanical pump on the left side of the engine block is discharging correctly? You could also add a little electric fuel pump, something like this to either help it along or bypass altogether.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18253111009 ... Track=true

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:06 am 

Pista_510 wrote:
Bozo510 wrote:
---------------

Question - What are the tricks for getting fuel up the fuel line in the car from the petrol tank? Am I going to have to use the compressor again when the time comes? (need to clean up fuel tank before re-installing).

I think your fuel pump is out of order....maybe, once you've cleaned up your fuel tank, lines, replaced any (potentially blocked) filters, etc you may need to check the fuel pump is working OK by running the engine from your jerry can and watching if the mechanical pump on the left side of the engine block is discharging correctly? You could also add a little electric fuel pump, something like this to either help it along or bypass altogether.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18253111009 ... Track=true
I sussed it out on the weekend, pulled the pump off, tested it manually, appears to be doing what it needs to do. It is a new item as well (which doesn't guarantee success), but I'm confident it's good after checking against the old one.

After mulling it over I think I have a feeling on why it can't get the fuel to the bowl, there is currently no hose clamps on the fuel line going into the carby OR the connections on the fuel pump. This means air is getting in, which in turn prevents the fuel from making the rise up from the fuel pump under vacuum to the carby. Before everyone starts slapping me, I was the one handling the cranking piece while my neighbour was doing the fuel component.

Also worth noting we aren't currently using the fuel tank, just a trusty 600ml plastic bottle full of fuel cable tied to the radiator hose ala "the best way". ;) I do have a low pressure electric pump if it all fails, but I want to avoid electronics and keep the mechanical elegance of this fine vintage motor vehicle as must as possible.

Will update soon hopefully.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:56 am 

Quick update. I got this thing running and up the the driveway for it's maiden voyage.

Tightened the hose clamps on the fuel pump, blew the fuel in the line through manually to get the fuel bowl filled in the carby which gave it enough fuel to get up my steep driveway and onto the road.

The brakes work! Which was good news, otherwise I would have been in someones front yard.

This is the list i need to basically be able to drive this thing (rego excluded);

- Fuel tank back in the car. Pulled it out, painted it, inspected it (surprisingly not that bad for a circa 53 yo car).
- Get a fuel filter element for the glass filter. After doing some research, a nice bloke named Paul gave me the nissan part code for the element & supporting spring -> 16404-68225

[ img ]

- Get my radiator re-cored or at least checked out. The overflow fitting is missing so it just sends water out the side when the car warms up. That and/or my cap is wrong. It's in a pretty sad state so hopefully can be repaired.

- Couple of rust repairs, There is a decent sized hole in the floor under the drivers pedal, so I'll get some sheet metal and mig it in.

- Get some wheels sorted for the front of the car, currently have temporary 14 inch R31 skyline wheels on there. Want to sort out a 13inch steel solution.

Have a video of it but photobucket wasn't playing ball.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:00 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

It's been a while - do you have any updates? I'm keen to see more of this.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:27 pm 

green200b wrote: *
It's been a while - do you have any updates? I'm keen to see more of this.
Updates, there is a few now that I read the previous post (2018 wtf, life slipping away)

- I replaced both front floor sections and actually did a decent job. I recycled a Datsun 510 roof and made them into replacement floor panels as the existing ones were completely gone. Made a buck for the depressions and did my best without a bead roller. Pics below
- Radiator recored, got the guy to change the top spout to a generic 1600 one so I can use standard 510 cap rather than bespoke 411 one. Not a cheap exercise, but after going through every single radiator available from radiator suppliers, these stupid cars literally have nothing comparable in size, so stock recore was the way to go.
- Got my 13inch ROH steelies out of storage, fitted tyres, found they wouldn't fit on the front, go custom hubcentric spacers machined, now sorted. They are 13x6 front and 13x7 back, fit perfectly.
- Added some return springs on the clutch slave, so now it returns properly instead of staying on the floor.
- Fuel tank was not good to go. By blowing the fuel through the fuel tank I blew all the crap up into the pickup metal line in the tank, so began a wonderful journey replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one, swapping carbies, replacing the whole metal line from front to back of the car, eventually resealing the whole inside of the tank only to have the same problem. Then had to use wire down the pickup tube to clear out the crap in the line, then the metal wire broke in the pick up line. After much raging i got it out, back installed in the car.

Car is registered on historics, I got a motorbike muffler put on it and some patch repairs done to the exhaust. It has a huge flat spot between idling and full throttle, sadly haven't done much driving in it since getting it back from the exhaust shop late 2023, but this year I want the thing completed and driving so I can take it on a camping trip with the family.

Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5497.jpg [ 196.81 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5498.jpg [ 181.26 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5499.jpg [ 133.65 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4765.jpg [ 3.96 MiB | Viewed 964 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4772.jpg [ 3.51 MiB | Viewed 964 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:48 pm 

Reading back through my whole thread again I probably have other updates to put in.

- Auto Sparky work - When I upgraded to a low pressure electric pump, I got a auto sparky to make up some new battery cables for me, he did a great job, and also put in a clock relay. The clock relay primes the carbie for 5 or 10 seconds (can't remember), then switches off until car starts, cool setup. I wasn't aware those types of relays even existed, was a great mod.

- I replaced all the shocks all round. I happened across the owner of a Auto one store, and he convinced me his guys could help. I took in my old shocks and they matched them up closest to a AE71 wagon(?) from memory.

KYB 343036 & KYB 343378

So it has new shocks all round.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
98003278_1609347062554444_8702787769690226688_n.jpg [ 65.19 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]
- The brake conversion sadly needed more work after taking it for a test drive. The way I mounted the calipers they hit the suspension arm. After crying in the corner for a fair while, I finally got the motivation to pull it all apart, redo the brake lines again, reweld and redrill and modify the caliper brackets again, now all sorted, but took every ounce of energy to continue as I thought I was past that.

- Oh, and a pic of the bike muffler. Not much room in there, but I'll fix it up myself when I get time as he didn't really do the angle very well, but whatever.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4770.jpg [ 4.34 MiB | Viewed 962 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:25 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Good to see you still have this and you've made progress. I really like the look you've gone for and hope that you never paint it.

Looking forward to more progres and the next update - before 2030? :P

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:00 pm 

Zero budget for paint so that isn't happening.

I just remembered i need to check and change the diff oil before i drive it on any lengthy trip, will do that next whilst troubleshooting carburetor. Certainly hoping next update isn't 2030.