So another year and a half has past. This neglected ugly duckling has been getting pushed down the priority list.
Anyway after finishing a precision turbo upgrade on my fj20 1600, a parts car came up on facebook for a reasonable price, so I grabbed with the idea it could supply the parts required to make this car go again.
So here is said parts car, it's a 1964 sedan with a E series engine;
The kid I bought it off reckons he had it running & had driven it recently, but I have serious doubts, they also had go halfway through unbolting the diff for some reason (I didn't know this until I arrived at night to collect), so it made getting it on the trailer very difficult, but we eventually go there.
As you can see, it's pretty far gone (but I may repair it one day..)
Back to the build, the 4 speed column shift is a lot larger physically, so would have required the tunnel to be cut to fit, something I wasn't keen to do just yet as a motorbike engine conversion may come later.
So the new donor car had the same 3 speed column shift manual gearbox that my wagon came with, along with all the bits and pieces I have been missing like radiator and engine fan, bolts and lots of bits and pieces.
I got the engine and box out of the sedan;
My neighbour kindly delivered it down my driveway
The clutch on the E series is the same as the J13. J13 & J15 flywheels/clutches are different, so I pulled the complete assembly off the E series and I'm happy to report it bolts onto the J15
Gearbox needed a clean, so I used some degreaser and some a gurnie and did an average job;
Bolted up gearbox and installed
Have been chipping away at tasks over the last week, and if this thing gets spark it might actually start sometime in the next couple of weeks.
If it does, then it's onto the brakes.