Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 pm 

So after an infinite number of years, I'm back into a 1600!!

A wagon this time that I picked up locally, it's rough, had some rust repairs done 4/5 years ago, and requires more to be done now, has an utterly terrible paint job, in varying shades of green, probably applied with a supercheap auto $5 spray gun and an air compressor you would take 4wding to pump up your tyres.

The interior is sparse, the suspension is standard, both which allow me freedom to do what I want with it.

The motor is an L20B with a fresh recent stock rebuild apart from going 40thou over, and running original 180B SSS carbs, it also has a dogleg 5 speed gearbox.

My first repair was to remove the trailer brake cylinder that had replaced the factory clutch master, this was the wrong size and had destroyed the clutch, so all new master/slave cylinders along with an Xtreme 685kg clamp force clutch kit was fitted to get it back on the road.

It's still registered with the original motor, so I'll be keeping it with NSW rego for now.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:49 pm 

Its rough, and there is plenty of panel work to be done to it, but I think my approach with this old girl will be to draw the attention away from all the required panel work/rust repairs by going with the Faux Patina look, I'm going to wet sand the roof and see how that turns out.

I'll be doing some rust repairs, both roof gutters are starting to bubble a little bit, the drivers floor has a few pin holes, and the doors are showing a few small spots, worst part is the drivers footwell vertical panel that joins to the sill, had the same spot in my old 1600.

The passenger side front guard is fibreglass too, and the drivers side has a kink in the guard and door, all little bits that add up to a lot of work.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 am 

Looks like a good project.
Time to invest in a sand blaster (if you haven't already) and get cracking on some of those rust spots!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:59 am 

looks friggin mint to me :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 pm 

Biggest issue I have is the lack of a shed or decent workspace, I have a carport, and years of tools from being a mechanic for most of my adult life in one form or another, but no where to dive into any big jobs.

Mate just rented himself a shed space, about 8x20m I think, and he has a hoist and the basic tools, welders, grinders, drill press etc and is starting to slowly accrue more metal working tools, like sheet metal press, plasma cutter etc

So for the mean time, I'll just be sourcing bits and pieces, first job I want to do is fix all the doors internal mechanisms, one handle doesn't work properly, hinges need rebushing on a few doors (plus new springs), all rubbers throughout are basically missing, bailey channel rubbers, rusting window bases in the regulators. Then I can have nicely closing doors that don't rattle, and operate as original, baby steps.

I haven't spent much time yet on it other than giving the interior a quick clean, stripped the old 200B seats (free if anyone wants them) then removed the door trims, and literally hosed the years of crap/dust/mud/debris that had accumulated inside the door cavities, and wet ragged the interior clean, peeled up some areas of the original sound deadening that was lifting to reveal some surface rust, so I'll probably strip the lot of it from the interior, and once it is all rust repaired, go over it in POR15 or a similar equivalent.

It will be a Spartan interior, throw a few gauges in one of those aussie made Gibson centre console replacement pieces to oversee the motors vitals, relocate the battery to the boot, and really tidy up the engine bay, weld the holes, relocate stuff etc

Slow project, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 pm 

Sounds like you have it all planned out good to see you're saving another Datto especially a wagon they are getting rare and going for good coin when In descent condition. Couple recommendations world be datsport rubbers they are hundred times better then eBay ones fit well and last a life time. If you are looking for a rust proofing paint I would recommend "rust bullet" minimal prep and easy to spray or bush on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:16 pm 

Nice project. I'm in a similar position but instead of por I think.I might try plasti dip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:57 pm 

Stowers wrote:
Sounds like you have it all planned out good to see you're saving another Datto especially a wagon they are getting rare and going for good coin when In descent condition. Couple recommendations world be datsport rubbers they are hundred times better then eBay ones fit well and last a life time. If you are looking for a rust proofing paint I would recommend "rust bullet" minimal prep and easy to spray or bush on.

For far too long, I have been planning out a 1600 in my mind without actually owning one, since I sold my last one.

This one will never be exactly what I want, I prefer the sedan, 2 door or coupe even more so, but I will add my touches to it and clean it up a lot.

Datsport will definitely be the place I will go to for rubbers and lots of other small bits and pieces, I need to make a list, but at the same time be realistic with it and not go overboard, and just do repairs on one thing at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Stoney wrote:
Biggest issue I have is the lack of a shed or decent workspace, I have a carport, and years of tools from being a mechanic for most of my adult life in one form or another, but no where to dive into any big jobs.
I am suffering from a similar issue, all I have is a car port also. Where there is a will there is a way, though, even if it does suck.

Congratulations on the find, the car does look a bit interesting but I am sure you can turn it into something pretty cool. It'll make a fun cruiser even if it isn't exactly what you want.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 am 

Same problem here. Garage is at the Father In-laws. That's where the car is...
Still try and work on it as much as I can though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:34 am 

I've got a MK2 Jaguar as well, I've had it for about 7 years now, but stored it at dads house while I was living at Sydney then up in the mines at Mackay, got that running, upgraded brakes etc, and just bought a 2JZ for that, as I figured an engine conversion makes sense instead of rebuilding the old, leaking and worn out BW35 auto gearbox (it doesn't make sense, but will be more fun)

But always wanted another 1600 and when this came up, I couldn't turn it down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:44 pm 

So as usual with my projects, I get completely sidetracked.

Instead of finishing off fitting the 86 seats, which I'm waiting on a passenger side sliding rail to complete, or fixing the door hinges and handles, I've started looking at why the headlights only half worked.

Massive hack job with extra wires ran from the original headlight relay, other wires just terminated, even an earth spliced into the high beam wiring once I back traced it with the loom tape removed.

So I started labeling all the wires, working out what I will add to the loom, what i'll remove, how to wire tuck some of it too, so i'll draw up a basic diagram once I find and compare it to a decent quality factory wiring diagram, then I'll remove the engine bay loom up to the fuse panel, and either look at fixing/modifying what is there or replacing it, pretty sure I will be replacing it all though.

Current changes I have in mind to the loom will be:
-Relocate the battery to under the back seat in a cut out floor box, or put it in the boot in a box, or at least make the wiring loom have a power distribution block so I can do that at a later date.
-Removal of the Ext Voltage Regulator, plus the addition of an IR alternator from an R31/TB42 etc
-Source an R33 starter motor or rebuild the original one, plus neater wires to it
-Run a proper relay setup for the horn and delete the original setup
-Run a proper relay setup for the headlights, shamelessly copying Turbovans diagram, I will locate the headlight/horn relays on the radiator support as well, and look at running those wires through the inner guard for a small wire tuck
-Extra wires added for oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge.
-Extra wire for the electronic dizzy, removal of the ballast resistor as well as an extra wire for the addition of a tachometer in the future (if desired)
-Relocate new MSD Blaster II coil to the radiator support
-Washer bottle relocation to behind the strut tower, and wiring changes to suit
-Will be doing basic wire tucking and running all the wires in the plastic sheath, but if I can get a hold of some braid cover I'll use that instead with heatshrink, that was how I wired a universal ViPec ecu into my mates RB25 equipped S13. I will also add a few connectors for a quick disconnect of the whole loom near the stock fuse panel

This is a bit more extreme than I had planned, but I may as well do it right, fix all the problems and neaten it all up all at the same time.