Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 pm 

On the Photo's bit, it could be that the images you are trying to upload are too big? They've got to be below a certain size I think. Might need to use the computer to squash them down? I'm definitely keen to see some more of this car and what's happened to it.

I have done A LOT of rust repairs on my car Richie and i'm not panel beater, it is quite easy and you learn so much when doing it. I'd definitely recommend the Mig that I have, another guy on the forum here bought one also Its a Lincoln 180c. Quite cheap and really versatile. Mine has definitely paid for itself, 8 years on its still going strong! I have a TIG now also, but for speed and ease of use, the Mig wins hands down. It also puts less heat into the job, which is exactly what you want for car panels. If you have a look on my Member's ride post in the link in my Signature, you'll see all the rust repairs I did were basically exactly where you are describing. I also tried to show how i did them, so hopefully it'll help you out?
Where In Australia are you? There might be some guy's who can have a look and offer suggestions?

In terms of the motor, you can still bore out an L18 pretty big. It really does depend on your budget as to how crazy you go, but with decent headwork and a few other components, you can make quite a strong and snappy L18 that'll rev quite well.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:38 am 

Just a picture test

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 5702 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:48 am 

I may have fixed it. More picture of my sad looking datto.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 5702 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:52 am 

A motor pic

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 5702 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:02 am 

LH guard sill area.Pretty bad but it's repairable though.The usual rust but at the extreme end.Some tricky fabrication.I have to stop doubting my self. 15 years ago I repaired an L 300 Mitsubishi van rear door area and all channels and recesses I fabricated and mig welded it in.It turned out awesome Considdering we were going to scrap that vehicle the new owner still has it on the road.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 5700 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:49 am 

Rjb510
Some great tips there and Lincon are a long established company who make good reliable gear.I kind of missled you folk as I have done some rust repairs and minor panel beating over the years but only through necessity.My small achievements up till now have been a door skin and sill replacement on a hilux ute A sill and gutter and lower door patch on a 72 datto ,An L300 Mitsubishi van and a Chrysler Mitsubishi Lancer coupe.I figure I just need to man up and do my rust work a step at a time.I have friends who are into medieval re enacting thing.I have made them forms from hard wood so they can bash sheet metal into shape.They can make the most intricate shapes you can imagine .Whats the best way of stripping the car down so as to not complicate the rebuild?I kind of figured that I would sort out and catagorise the parts and store the components for refurbishment or replacement.Obviously it's a massive undertaking but I got a few years to do it.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:22 am 

I roll it into my workshop this week end.The long journey begins.Today how ever I go shopping for a mig a compressor and media blasting and spray painting equiptment.Since I will be dedicating my workshop to the datto for a few years, I am thinking of fabricating a swing arm crane hoist.Nothing fancy and manually operated.I think 2 1/2 ton capacity will cover all my needs.I personally think If I don't put all my effort into it 100% I would be fooling myself.Its a bit annoying as whilst my workshop is reasonably big on the ground floor is not spacious enough, so car parts will need storing in the loft.My only access to that is a stair case.Maybe a trapdoor in the upstairs floor may get done too and just chain block hoist fitted there.Question for you folk what size cfm compressor do you reckon would cover my needs blasting and spray painting?I will be no where near in need of finish spray guns but still buy a reasonable quality primer under coat gun initially or would a cheapie do for that?
DatsEz

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I use a cheapie spray gun for primer, works fine for me, but my "finish coat" gun is the best one I could afford when I bought it back in the day (30 years ago now). I keep the good gun in perfect condition, cleaning it religiously after every use, whereas the cheapie ones (that are used much more often) just get a quick wash / wipe and chuck in the cupboard.

I have a 12cfm compressor, works great for painting but its nowhere near big enough for media blasting. I use it now and then for bead blasting small stuff (manifolds, etc) but its pretty painful waiting for it to catch up.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am 

When i sprayed mine, i could only afford one gun. I bought ab relatively cheap U- pol gun (although i was doing some work for them at the time) and used that to do all my primer, base coats and clear. Dedicated guns are good, but there's not much going on with them. Keep them clean and they'll last a long time.

I think that the advantage of different guns are the different sized nozzles. Bigger for primer and smaller for base coats and clears. The abrasive component of primers is fairly negligible on small scale work.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:47 am 

I currently have my eye on a 15 cfm compressor.On another note .We figured that I will pert near be building a new car body with rust repair panels of the Internet.Not quite but almost.I hope to minimise any media blasting but that's enevitable I suppose.I think to just plod on with paint stripper is OK.Blasting corners and bad rust areas seems my best option.I am getting a bit ahead of myself here the car is not even dismantled yet.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:39 am 

Tool shopping went good.With a combination of new and second hand gear I can get a mig/tig welder a second hand 15 cfm compressor blasting unit and some spray guns for under coating for just under $2.000.hopefully Another $1.000 should get my swing arm crane and rotisserie done.I got access to free scrap steel to fabricate things.The draining of the bank account begins.its raining today but I do intend to get my baby in the workshop.I also saw some nos sealed beam lights 2 standard and two aircraft landing lights still in the box.The aircraft landing lights are illegal but my last ones were behind wire mesh headlight protectors and I did not get pulled up on that.I will be playing squirrel for a while too.Collecting quite a bit of various bits and pieces.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:34 pm 

Got these Nos lights and a primer gun $20.
DatsEZ

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 5667 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:42 am 

If that new spray gun sprays good than I will use it for a finish gun.Its the old school type and I know how to use them very well.I got held up yesterday so the datto won't make it to the workshop until this afternoon.I towed it up the driveway and put it into the front yard all by myself and a 2 ton sling and my Subaru Forrester.I removed the tail shaft as it was just hanging off the diff and it was difficult to push it forward .Its stuffed too.A couple of dents in it but it obviously was left sitting on the ground for some time as the spline sleeve was full of Queensland dirt and rusted beyond repair.I got a lot of boxes in my workshop that need sorting out as we just moved into this house and haven't fully unpacked every thing as yet.We had 52 6' X 4' box trailers of stuff from the old place.This sorting is very important as numerous datto bits and pieces are in all my sh*t.I currently have bugger all tools as they are still in the storage facility.Although I am buying some new gear I still need my hand tools grinders and what not.Coincident or not my house was built in 1971 and so is this Datsun.I have also been given A udatto 1200 coupe in terrible condition but from the central west of N.S.W. The sun has stuffed most of the paint and the interior is totally gone .Its saving grace is the body only has surface rust and no structural rust what so ever.I wish the 1600 was like that.the wife says she wants it.I ain't going to do do two rebuilds simultaneously.I don't really have the room.Actually I quite possibly do have that room and it could make sense to do two together.I think If you are geared up to do let's say body work than doing that for two vehicles would save double handling equipt
ment and could be convenient too.It could be like in 1977 at my home in Sydney on Christmas .We had 2 1600's two 1200's a 120y and a 180b parked at my house,The whole family drove Dattos.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:44 am 

I just got a small win today.After 20 years I was still able to set up a new mig welder and adjust it and weld.After Adjustment I layed down a reasonable bead of weld.On the other hand my wife is getting a 1600 too now.My workshop can manage two rotisseries as I measured or up this morning.I was thinking I was stuck with a L 20 with SU 's and an auto transmission.The wife who is wheel chair bound can only drive autos anyway.I will run a L 16 or L 18 twin webbers and a 5 speed manual in my car.Two datto's is going to double the amount of work and come close to blowing out the budget too.Apart from the cost of the cars I have already outplayed 2 k on new equiptment.I can manage it but it's going to be a long
haul.I am sure not many folk in their late 50's take on such work.We just love datto's I suppose.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:47 pm 

Awesome day today.Being dissapointed as I was with the condition of my datto's body I decided to take out the boxes of spare parts at a later date. Well today I did it and to my suprise I found these puppies living under all the mess.Two sills and two 1/4 repair panels.
DatsEZ

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 5509 times ]