Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Datto number 2 for her.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:05 am 

The wife gets Datto number 2 on Saturday.Engineered SR 20 DE.It has been previously registered in N.S.W.Aparently failed rego check for rust in the boot rubber channel.If in deed that's all that's wrong than its getting registered as a driver whilst my Datto number 5 gets a full rebuild.I was hoping to get another one but that fell through.This one almost fell through too.Everything is looking sweet.come Saturday I hope to have it on the car trailer by lunch time.I know stuff all about SR s but they go great I hear so this will be interesting.The wife's other 1600 ended up as a rally car and aparently met an early death being rolled in the 80 's.Since then she has played around with Gemini 's Toyota Celica's T. 18 's a couple of mitsubiti 4x4 and a Navara 4X4 duel cab.She currently has a kluger.She can't wait to get this Datto.Eventually. Her 1600 and mine will have the same external appearance and same styled interior.Once my car gets rebuilt than her 1600 goes on the rotisserie for a good strip back and repair before reassembled.I will get some pics on Saturday.I hope she will be able to drive it as she is in a wheel chair and mostly only drives autos.She may require an auto but we will see .
Młl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:44 pm 

Nice one, any pics of the new car?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:30 am 

Yeah there will be pics.We pick it up today.The chap we are buying it off could not afford to get it fixed for rego.He has family commitments and needs the money for that.I truely admire that attribute in a man.Family first.My wife and me are going to offer him an invitation to a track day when we get both our Datsuns done.We will let him go out and flog the sh*t out of them cause datto's love it.To be honest I feel bad taking someone's datto off their hands but it will get a good home and yeah it only being a car it will still become a loved member of our family.I myself had a 30 year break from Datto's due to family commitments so I know how it feels.I have had 4 previous Datsun 1600's and the wife has had one.Its either fortunate or maybe unfortunate that we are now in our late 50's and doing up cars.We only had 1Datsun( well Nissan) in our 30 year break and that was a brief encounter with a duel cab Nissan Navara 4x4.It was fantastic machanicly but far too much rust.Car float first up than squeeze some more money from the hole in the wall and off we go to take delivery of my wife's Datto number2
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 pm 

Got it home today lots of good points but plenty more bad ones too.Rust is better than my Datsun but both my wife's car and mine will require full bare metal strip down/ rebuild.Just too much uncertainty in the cars integrity body wise.SR 20 s do this to cross bracing do they? This cars parcel shelf and rear cross bracing is cracked and its been previously welded too.I will repair this and install a decent extra brace off the rear spring tower to the parcel shelf.Any here's som pics.
DatsEZ.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 10447 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 pm 

Some more

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 10447 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:39 pm 

The previous pictures were the motor and that dodgy cross bracing.Just a couple more.This car has plenty of potential but it needs far more than a little bit of rust work?.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 10447 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:47 pm 

Yeah just a little bog will fix her yeah.No way Jose.If it's going to get done I will do everything in my power to do it right.I just spent a couple of thou on workshop equiptment so I am serious about doing it as good as I can.Probably don't really have the money but I do have the time.My wife and me hopefully be enjoying our rides in about 2 years time.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 10447 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:54 pm 

Yeah just a little bog will fix her yeah.No way Jose.If it's going to get done I will do everything in my power to do it right.I just spent a couple of thou on workshop equiptment so I am serious about doing it as good as I can.Probably don't really have the money but I do have the time.My wife and me hopefully be enjoying our rides in about 2 years time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:56 pm 

Sorry for the double post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:26 pm 

Ive never seen a 1600 crack along that area before . I wonder what made it crack there!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:58 pm 

Datto's do crack but out of the 4 previous ones I have owned none actually cracked exactly there.I was just going to just weld that crack and leave it but it may have metal fatigue in that area so I am going to fold up a fairly long piece to replace the cracked piece.The parcel shelf is substantially weakened too by 6"x9" speaker holes .Once that is addressed than I will fabricate a decent cross brace from the tower to the parcel shelf.My friends race car has a massive X brace but his fuel cell is where the spare wheel would be so he had more room.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:45 pm 

I haven't done too much to my wife's Datto yet but I have found quite a few problems.I am compiling a list and hope to work out a plane of attack.I want to do structural rust surgery to hold off the enevetable full rebuild.As I have two Dattos I can get her Datto structurally sound and register able .By the time I get my car done her car will get a complete strip down rebuild too.It just seems that every Datto I get it takes a lot of work finding and fixing previous owners f&@k ups.I just don't know if it is laziness, lack of knowlege or skill.The guy I bought it off had good intentions but I saw limited equipment in his garage.i think I had it good when I got involved in Datto 1600's as it was the late 70's and there were lots of them around in great shape.Lots of young folk probably wouldn't know what a relatively fresh tight 1600 feels like so consequently don't have a good idea of what standard one should be aiming for.Its the little things steering door hinges some suspension components and parts that need routine maintainace No big deal .I jump in this week end.question for you folk have any of you guys"n" gals used or heard of futofab parts.They are making lots of new panels and tail light and bumper parts.?
DatsEz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 pm 

Is futofab useing the same parts as muscle car parts at moorebank sydney?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 am 

I think it's some mob in California doing it.Where I can I will be using Muscle car repair panels where possible.Futo fab make their parts in house I heard.Some simpler parts I can fabricate myself. I just want to weigh up the cost and quality VS the practicality of futofab parts.As I have two datsuns I may as well just set up to fabricate parts for both cars. Lower guard and 1/4 panels won't be too difficult but a little time consuming.I am resigned to the fact that it will be a slow process.I really need to work out the best way to tackle the cracked cross brace behind the back seat and the parcel shelf.There is a fair bit of stripping down of that area just to get the components out.I also want to make a decent tubular brace off the towers to the parcel shelf too.I suppose I may need an engineers certificate for that too.The car has a few certificates already.It is disappointing just seeing work done by previous owners was very sub standard.Maybe I am just too picky but Both the wife's and my car I want to be structurally sound.
DatsEZ