Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:06 am 

:thumbsup: the reinforcing idea is good might use my old towbar assembly and do that too.

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:31 am 

1600Dave,

Considering I will be running an R180 diff I need a little bit more weight in the rear end of my car. So it's a bonus at the same time.

Neil,

My Datsun was a 1972 GL model auto. I have been told that it was a 'run out model' with all this extra bits and pieces in it (such as the factory sand paper stuck to the floor when I had her bead blasted). The heater box assy was as factory fitted. All I have been told is that it's from the later models (such as the 72's and not 68's or 69's.)

I will probably have the car ready 100% for Datnats 2007. (don't quote me on this!!!!) Regardless, I'll be there with a semi finished car!

Jimmmy,

Spraying sound deadener all over it is a bit of a over statement. I just sprayed the sound deadener underneath the car! (and in some of the boot).

Lurch,

Cheeers mate!
I gotta get a 240 or 260z..... :giggle:

JDMDatsun510,

I like the 'less is more' philosophy when it comes to interiors... So I'll be removing the 'factory rag'....
:lol:

Cheers.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:28 pm 

hey mate

should have been clearer. I was stating the difference in approach you have both taken. One has not painted the floor pan as they are "spraying sound deadener all over it" whilst you have painted it as you are not spraying sound deadener there.

they are both great though, just in slighly different ways and the fact you have both done all the prep work yourselves is great.

hope that clears it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:55 pm 

Jimmmy,

Sorry, now I understand! :oops:
Here's what I did just to clarify!

Basically what i did was use spray on 2k 'synthetic tar' sound deadener underneath the car over the top of a couple layers of primer paint, then had final coats over the top of that... (so it's all white...). Then painted the wheel arches black over the top of that! I had the interior painted straight over the sound deadener matts (as you can see in the photos).

This I thought would give the best resistance to debris undneath the car, and at the same time stop the panels from resonating when driving or debris hitting them. In addition to this, just painting the interior of my car without the deadener sprayed on, I thought was easier because I didn't have any rust, and I didn't want to add too much to the over all weight of the car. (only a couple of Kg, but it all adds up!!) Plus I would've been doubling up spraying it twice.

One of the reasons I ended up painting the underneath of the car first and then put the deadener over the top of that is it provides a chemical bond for the stuff to stick to, and also if a stone breaks through (or anything else for that matter) you still have a layer of paint helping you out in the surrounding area! My advice if you are going to use the sound deadener is to by a 2K version, and spray it over already painted areas. (primer is OK) then put your final coats of paint over that.

Also because I want to fit a cage, not that much effort has been spent on making the interior metal look 'clean' because the car to me is going to be a street legal race car, not a show car. If it was going to be a show car I would've used body filler to even out all the seems etc. etc. To me personally it's not worth it.

What are you doing with your car? I know you have been discussing this heaps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:14 pm 

Here's another photo showing the interior (early shot)

Doors have been completely re-painted inside and outside. The yellow stuff is the Wurth wax again. The doors got the fish oil treatment, so they aren't all yellow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:11 pm 

hey mate

ok that is different. I didn't realise you had put sound deadener underneath the paint. I figured you have painted the whole car the same. IE primer and then white 2 pak and primer sound deadener underneath.

That is different and adds the benefit of having sound deadened panels. It would have been a rough street car without any.

That is a good approach and looks the goods.

With regards to mine. I am doing a full bare metal respray of the outside, door jams, boot lid and engine bay. But I am thinking I should do the underneath, inside and boot so as to do it all right the first time as well as finding any possible rust.

have you done much in the way or painting and body work before as you seem to know what you are doing.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:23 pm 

Jimmmy,

I am definitely not a panel beater, nor a spray painter, and this is the first time I have done it! Typically I hate body work, and I like to spend my time more on the mechanical stuff (which I haven't done much of on the car at all, but the opportunity is coming up! I still have to shoe horn the S14 SR20DET into her!)

The thing that works is all the advice you get before you start out. The painter that I had was pretty damn good, and had his head screwed on. He provided me with all the advice, and I just followed it all, and made a little bit of it up on the way.

Just make sure you know exactly what you are going to do before you start, and you'll be fine!
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:34 pm 

yeah cheers mate

I am stilling stuffing around getting the rad and i/c and thermo fitting in front of the sr20det at the moment. It is pretty tight.

I am also having dramas getting my intank fuel setup going. Don't let anyone tell you it is easy to drill spot welds out of a tanka dn then try and pull a swirl pot out. It is hard and hard on the wrists which invariably get cut and full of petrol.

While doing this I am replacing my sump with an aftermarket one.

I want the car to be fairly complete, running etc before I strip it down and paint her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:49 pm 

The reason I decided to go nuts with the deadner is for road noise reduction. Like SR20Datsun said it will add a few kg's to the total weight of the car, but hey sacrifices must me made for daily comfort. I plan on adding more insulation to all the doors/roof and firewall.

SR20datsun...

Your car had better be ready for the Nationals. It's almost completed...
If you can't finish in time I stand no chance at all of completion by 2007.
I have to rebuild an entire car from stratch.

austrian accent "Come on you can do it.......do it Now !!!"

oh SR20Datsun....
What steering colum did you use ??
standard 1600 or 180/200b ???
if none factory what was involved in it's fitment ?
just bolt in ?

Dave M

1977 P610/180B Wagon Daily Driver

Last edited by jdmdatsun510 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:09 am 

JDMDatsun,

I used a standard 1600 collapsible steering column with the factory instrument stalks. I may be changing this later on though to stanza stalks on the column. (for lights etc.)

Why do you ask about the steering column?
What is the point of using 180B or 200B? Are they a little longer? This may be good because it will shift me back a little more (better weight distribution!)
I really haven't thought too much about this area, as I have been working on the body.

Jimmmy,

Why are you changing the sump?
Do you have any photos of your car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:00 am 

The stock sump had a dent in it due my my stupidity with a jack. Still better the car fall on the sump than me......maybe.

I will post some easrly pics I have. This is of the sump.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Picture 058.jpg [ 57.35 KiB | Viewed 8306 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:14 am 

Damn!

pretty big photo! (250 kb!)
Are you going to start your own section in the members ride part of Ozdat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:09 am 

Yeah. I might get that photo made smaller.

I will add my own but I kinda want to avoid running a post that might last years. :)

I just don't have as much as time as I would like to always work on her. I would love a 9-5 job where I can work on her at night and on weekends.

oh well. I will add a couple more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:43 pm 

yeah come on Jimmmy... get a members section going mate.
I wanna see the Jimmmy mobile. :thumbsup:

1977 P610/180B Wagon Daily Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:58 pm 

hahahaha

ok guys. Just let me get some of these pics reduced in size. I don't want to freak you out again Dave. :)

Did alot of work today on an in tank setup. I will post that up too. Maybe in the faq files....???