Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:56 pm 

Hey Guys,

Im new, thought I'd say hi :)

Im returning to datsuns after a stint in an S14 for a while but decided less complicated is better and more fun! Ive had this little Stanza since i started driving, actually inherited it from my mum who bought it new back in '78 :shock: so its stayed in the family. The pics are pretty old, theres some subtle and not so subtle changes since (like i ditched my P plates 2 years ago) and have since bolted in a bucket seat, stripped the interior, fitted whiteline sway bars, eibach springs with monroe shocks, nolathane bushes all round (arent the old rubber ones a s**t to get out!) put the kidney bean mags on.

I have waiting to go in a SSS 5 speed, an L18 with an ongoing build going on to drop in (dellortos, pistons, etc) and a sparco harness. The aim to build a high revving hill climber i can take to sprints and circuit as well as the hill climbs, road legal isnt an issue as it ran out of rego over a year ago.

Oh and if anyone knows where i can get a STRAIGHT rear bumper i'd be much obliged... Canberra has next to no wreckers with Stanzas anymore and i dont have space for a parts car. :cry:

So yeh, G'day. Ill see you all around the forums. :D

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Stanza1.JPG [ 39.47 KiB | Viewed 7456 times ]
[ attachment ]
Stanza2.JPG [ 42.98 KiB | Viewed 7460 times ]

Last edited by DattoA10 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:13 pm 

Bluey off CC yeah?

I'm guessing you didnt end up buying Bob260's s/c L20b then.

There's a guy who used to live around the corner from me, now lives on the south coast but he just picked up 3 stanza's to build a rally car. If you're interested in contacting him about a bumper his email is tljh@bigpond.com.

Also are they 13" or 14" rims? If they are 13 I have some semi slicks if you want them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:19 pm 

Yeh thats me mate :) I thought about the S/C engine but decided i wanted to stay NA so i can compete in the <2L NA section in the hillclimbs.

Semis would be awesome, They are 13s. The cars been out to the sutton road hill climb a few times, actually 3 times until the head gasket went (for the 2nd time :oops: )

Im going to get stuck in to the inside of her this long weekend, get all the fuzz on the roof off from the interior sound deadening and address some small rust spots in the boot. Amazingly theres no rust in the doors. :shock:

When i get my head around everything else i need to address and see whats what. Ill contact that fella about the bumper :) much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:08 pm 

These are the tyre's I've got, the top ones are a nice low profile, off the front of Formula Fords. I was going to run them on the front of my 120y but the tyre shop couldnt seat them on the bead (real stiff sidewall).
The second set are used A032R's, 205/60/13. I was planning to use them for track days eventually but I have a set of heaps better ones on rims already. I guess make an offer if you want a set.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:01 pm 

how much u want 4 the bottom one tyrie??

1 B310 Sunny L18 Race Car
1 Stanza

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:28 pm 

I'd want $100 for the set of 4. But I wouldnt post them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:29 am 

Ill have to check the width on my wheels. Should be right though. Ill come pick em up this weekend if everything goes OK :)

Whats the benefits of the Formula Fords tyres over the other ones? The A032R's are the style ive typically seen around on track cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:55 pm 

I think the FFord tyres would give more grip than a similarly sized yoko, but they are pretty skatey unless properly warmed up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the guy that used to own the yellow fj20 1600 wagon (Pedro?) used them with success at the hillclimb.

I've got a set of the yoko's on 13x7 rims, personally I wouldnt put them anything narrower (just because they'd look bulgy :roll: ) But I believe the Aussie Race cars that use them as a control tyre (thats how i got them) use 13X6" rims.

My number is 0422 620 053 if you want to call me about grabbing a set.
cheers

Post subject: Re: DattoA10's Stanza
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:02 am 

So I got started last night on my engine rebuild! On a tight budget for this one so its all my own grunt work.

Took a quick stocktake of everything.

Rocker Cover, Check
Block with crank, Check
Sump with Pistons and pickup, Check
Box with everything else loosely in it, Check :(

So after about half an hour I had two pistons looking fairly clean, They need some emery paper though to get into the most dug in grime.

Does anyone know the best way to remove piston rings without breaking them? Or are they a "once off, replace dont reuse" item?

Apologies for the poorly cut together pics but I couldnt be arsed loading 6 individual pics.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Together.JPG [ 148.82 KiB | Viewed 5919 times ]

1978 Stanza, undergoing track spec build.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:13 pm 

DattoA10 wrote:
Does anyone know the best way to remove piston rings without breaking them? Or are they a "once off, replace dont reuse" item?
Definitely (IMLTHO) a replace dont reuse item.

Datsport prices (approx).

Rings $55
Main bearings $45
Big ends $28

Rang a store in the ACT, lets call them autoslow, got quoted $122 for rings alone :shock: , thanked him and said dont bother with the rest of the prices.

I'm doing a similar (cheap so I can spend money on other bits of the car) rebuild on my own engine.

pm me about your piston cleaning, I might be able to save you a world of hurt and misery (I would not use emery paper) though I do have an alternative suggestion for you.

Cheers

Jason

13B N/A powered 1600 racecar build (Built, not bought) http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12316

Munch Munch, L series pistons for lunch

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:21 pm 

Thanks mate! :) PM Sent

Now Im not worried about breaking them theyll be easy to get off and clean the grooves. Obviously being careful not to gouge the piston or anything though. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:57 pm 

Just pull them apart with your fingers. Hold them open while you slip them up the piston making sure you don't score it. Best way to clean the grooves is to snap 1 ring and use the square end like a scraper. Rings & bearings are cheap, buy new ones. Also replace as many gaskets as possibe while you're at it. If you do it right the first time you'll have a nice reliable motor. Dodgy it now & it'll cause you nothing but pain.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:14 pm 

Already got my new gaskets waiting in the wings :)

Thanks for all the tips guys :hail:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:01 pm 

Today i pulled the piston rings out and the crank, The blocks ready to go off for hot tanking and honing and the head off to get tidied up. Putting in an order with Baz in the next fortnight for some new gear too :D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 pm 

Emailed off to Datsport for a long list of bits :D

Trying to find a good, well priced workshop to do my block and headwork which is proving difficult. :(