Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: 1982 Stanza GX
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:34 am 

Synced the carbs properly yesterday. Runs fine and idles awesome haven't taken it for a drive yet.

[ img ]

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:07 pm 

Looks great. Where's the LPG rings? Looks like filter will be tight to the tower almost with them.

Take it for a drive ;) note I didn't say gentle....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 pm 

LPG rings not on I'm waiting for a spacer to be made. Ill explain later with pics. Ill need to take it for a drive to see if anything needs changing :) pretty keen.

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:40 pm 

Redline manifold should be here this week, ill have alot more adjustment to the linkages and will be able to sync them properly. Took it for a drive with the datrally manifold and im fairly sure they were coming out of sync off idle as it didnt run the best. Could sync them but going to wait for the redline manifold. Cant be bothered explaining why but ill be able to use the original throttle linkage to its full extent with the new manifold :)
Test run was on a dirt road, note the dirt on rear quarter! driven in its natural habitat.

[ img ]

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:27 pm 

Righto so heres a bit of an update.

[ img ]

Been going for quick drives the last couple of days between shifts because its fun as driving this thing with these carbs haha.
Gas + Normal carb vs petrol + twin webers, what a difference!
Anyway its driving alright, throttle is pretty hard due to the linkage im using, need a bigger spring because its holding the throttle closed pretty hard.
still puffing a bit at low rpm but when its up high it just flys, could be an issue with the idle jets or something not really sure but ill trouble shoot and work it out, might just need the idle mixture changed or something.
Redline manifold is starting to go together.

[ img ]

Im just missing a couple of linkages.

I bought new rose joints from a place in the UK, about $15 posted for the pair.

[ img ]

The reason i bought these ones is because the redline ones sit alot higher because of the design, i will need the spindle rod to sit lower so the angle of the original throttle linkage isnt so great.

[ img ]

Apart from the fact that the datrally manifold is way too big for 40mm webers on an L18, the reason for me changing to a redline manifold is as follows..
The datrally manifold has a single linkage that connects a coupler between the carbs, and is welded on to the spindle.

[ img ]

This means that i cannot move the linkage on the spindle so the original throttle linkage on the firewall is around further than it should be, causing the spring to be stretched alot more (notice how the adjuster doesnt even sit in the clamp)

[ img ]
[ img ]

Also the screw that syncs the carbs together hits on the linkage unless it is high up on the spindle clamps which means my throttle sensitivity is higher than is should be, and harder than it should be.

[ img ]

ANYWAY, so with the redline manifold i will be able to control the throttle sensitivity (how far i have to push the accelerator until its fully open) aswell as the throttle stiffness (how hard i have to push the accelerator before it opens)
Will be much more drivable being able to adjust these.
Ill also have separate linkages coming off the spindle rod controlling the carbs separately, meaning i have even more adjustment again!

The SSR supersharks on the rear have bald tyres that are losing air (they have been stretched) so ill be putting these longchamps on for a while.

[ img ]

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 pm 

Progress slow but steady. Did the tyres go bald then leak or you drove on them too low when stretched and wore them out?

Looking forward to seeing what lpg will do

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:47 pm 

unfamilia wrote:
Progress slow but steady. Did the tyres go bald then leak or you drove on them too low when stretched and wore them out?

Looking forward to seeing what lpg will do
Yeah im waiting on a mate for linkages before i can progress any more.
I bought the wheels with the tyres on them i assume they were rooted before i drove on them.
So am i haha a while off playing with the LPG though!

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:13 am 

So ive decided to go club rego... I need a RWC to switch over (club requirement)
so ill be putting stock carb on for that just so its running nice and the gas is working.

The plates will probably be going on my new baby datsun haha

[ img ]
[ img ]

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 am 

Does your boyfriend like the skyline too :-D

Nice about club reg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:24 am 

Haha whatever mate. Do share, what's your daily driver?
Bests driving the vx commodore I've been driving most of the year.

Keeping it in the Nissan family!

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:41 am 
Guru

The centre pull set up on the datrally manifold is the way to go.
It just needs modifying to work correctly.

This is the way I do it. Tho a bit different & with a progressive opening. And cables, not levers.
This gives a very light throttle, progressive, which is needed for a high performance rally car.

Synchronising the throttle plates & keeping them synched is paramount to keeping them in tune.
Alfa romeo does it this way, & most of the centre pulled weber setups use this method.

I reached the point where I gave up tuning webers with twin linkages as they never stay in tune for long.
A waste of my time & the clients money.
Too much wear, slop, tight throttles etc.

Twin linkages do not have provision for incorrect angles & different opening speeds.
They are also great things for bending the throttle shafts. This results in not being able to synch the carbs.
requiring the shafts to be re aligned.
I hate them with a vengeance.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:02 pm 

Joke trav. I dont have a daily myself. Its the stanza or the push bike.
The mrs/family car is i30 crdi hatch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:43 pm 

Will be going club rego soon.
Test fitted these wheels i bought a while ago, ill need to roll the guards for them to fit properly.

[ img ]

My club requires me to get roadworthy so i can transfer to club rego, so ill be putting the stock carb back on for that.

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:39 am 

Probably a minor detail, but maybe something to keep in mind once everthing is up and running:
I noticed in the close-up shots the carbie mount washers and nuts: there's two cup washers over the rubber mount and they're just about squeezed up together.
I think you're meant to have just the one cup washer on the outside (under the nylock nut) and the rubber shock-absorber washer just up against the carbie - the carbies have to be able to move a bit as vibration will cause the fuel in the float bowl to foam and affect performance. It looks like you might already be using the correct soft-mount kits, the moulded rubber ring style seals between carbie and manifold, not just a gasket or the thick plastic ones with O-rings. You can see the kit I mean here: http://www.weberperformance.com.au/prod ... ucts_id=40

I agree with your plan to go with the correct sized manifold though. Giant passages in the manifold that are bigger than the carbies will just allow the airflow to slow down and possibly even fuel to come out of suspension and pool at low speeds.

I used to use the centre-pull via cable method, and found exactly like Baz mentioned - the only carbies in tune were done like that and all the guys that had push-rods and linkages on the end of each carbie could never get it running right after it wasn't "new" anymore.
I had a mountain bike brake cable between a plate on the firewall to a alumium bracket welded to the rocker cover, the inner is more than strong enough. Used a return spring on the end of each carbie, so two return springs in total. Just one idle screw and the balance screw were sufficient for the whole setup to work and stay in tune.
Ensure the stop under the accelerator pedal is adjusted correctly too, the pedal should bottom out on the stop just before the carbies open to absolute full throttle, to avoid twisting the shafts or wearing the butterflys.
Had lots of people tell me that a mere bike brake cable would never work more that a few seconds before it broke! Well, if you can push on the accelerator pedal hard enough to break a bike brake cable and not damage your carbies first then good luck to you - my bike brake accelerator cable lasted for years of rallying, motorkhanas and autocrosses and never a single issue.
I've seen people stopped on the side of the road trying to piece their mechanical linkages back together.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:26 am 

Bit of an update......
I left the car in primer for too long and as primer is porous it was not a good thing.
Also combined with my not so good prep work I have learnt the hard way and the paint isn't really that great.
To get it perfect I would need to replace a few of the panels, do some better rust removal and do It all again etc. Its going to be easier for me to get a new shell with already decent paint and swap my goodies into it.
This will be the best thing as my interior isn't that crash hot either.
Will keep you updated and post pics of when I find a new stanza.

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
EziAutoParts