Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:48 pm 

ok... sooo...

i haven't been around here for quite some time, at least not actively posting, i always tend to keep an eye on the goings on, but rarely post, and i've been without a datsun in my life for a couple of years now too...!!

it was a hard, cold couple of years but i have finally made good of my promise to own another datsun, with finding a fine example of a Stanza!!

a bit of a backstory on the girl...

the car was originally purchased new in '79 by an older husband and wife, and used as a daily driver up until '83, when life changes led them to buying a larger "family car", as it was still only 4 years old, and this couple didn't feel the need to sell the datsun for whatever reason, it was decided to give it an early 20,000kms & 25,000kms service (@ 19,462km) park it in the garage under a car cover, and wait until they needed it again...

fast forward 19 years, and the husband sadly passes, whilst the family are helping clear out the house and whatnot, they re-discover the Datsun under the original covers up the back of the garage under all assortment of household items, very much "lost" to the garage, the widow basically decides to sell her late husbands large car, and get the datsun back on the road as she was uncomfortable driving such a large car...

the Datsun was shipped off the a mechanic, drained of all fluids ad given a full freshen up to get it back on the road, for the next year she drove the car only once a week, from tyabb to hastings and back for bingo/bowls and to catch up with old friends, until unfortunately a few weeks ago, she too passed, leaving the Stanza to her grandson, who had absolutely zero interest in such an old car, wanting to sell it to fund a dirtbike...

which is where i come in!!

i found it while in storage at the new owners work, the price was right so i snapped it up!! i mean look at it!! wouldn't you...?

[ img ]

so anyway, i got the thing home and took some pics!!

[ img ]

[ img ]

panel wise the car is at about 96% theres a couple of small rust bubbles in the doors, but the body itself is flawless...

interior again i ould say at about 97%, the roof liner has fallen down at the back but otherwise i can't really fault it!

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

engine is an oily L16 but runs the block stamping of L7...?

[ img ]

[ img ]

and thats about it for now... i haven't really done much so far, but hopefully i'll get cracking on it soon!!

thanks for looking guys!! i'd LOVE to hear some of your feedback!!

EDIT: if the pics are too large please let me know, and i'll resize them, i've made them about as large as comfortable on here but if this is of annoyance i can fix them...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:13 am 

whatascore!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:11 pm 

d wrote:
whatascore!!!
thanks man!! i'm quite happy with this little pickup!!

i've already removed the original wheels/tires to be put aside, they're some HORRIBLE tires on there from the early 80's, not 100% sure if they're the factory fitted ones or not, haven't looked too close but there's plenty of tread so i doubt it...

they've been replaced by the tires/wheel combo off my old Sunny, i've also added an old dealer visor i bought of Green200b a while ago, glad to be able to finally put it to good use,

[ img ]

[ img ]

obviously i still have to get the visor colour coded to suit stanza, but as far as i'm aware it was a dealer fitted visor for Stanza's...

ideally i want to keep the car 100% original, anything that gets fitted will be a genuine factory/dealer/optional item, i just want to keep the car original while looking a little cooler than standard... the rims/tires will most likely change, but to what i'm not sure, might just lose the white walls, and go bak to the stanza hubcaps, as the sunny centercaps do feel a bit odd on there...

either way i love getting feedback, bad or good so let us know!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:39 pm 

Love the car mate. Very jealous of your visor, I saw one on a fairly crapped out looking sigma today I thought about stealing it but might have been a little obvious in the northland car park.

That interior looks awesome. Car has a good story to.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:51 pm 

thanks buddy!!

i'd been looking for a visor for YEARS, just about every car i saw with one i was offering to buy it, then randomly Alistair called me up as he had one down at the factory, i simply couldn't say no...!

the interior really is in great nick, but unfortunately the roof lining has dropped at the rear window, i'm not 100% sure on how i should go about fixing it, plenty of options but i'd rather not replace the whole thing...

i'm also after some guard mirrors, however i can't seem to find any details on the factory fitted ones for the Stanza...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm 

Roof lining is annoying. My Fairlane needs to be done and once it has drooped you really need to rip it all out and start new because it stretches. I found a way to do it on Zlane that would cost me about $70 doing it myself but at a shop your looking at a few hundred. Alot of cars need the rear window removed as well. Technically i need to remove the Fairlanes but i found a wau around it.

86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:11 pm 

[quote="lunchbox"]thanks buddy!!

I'd been looking for a visor for YEARS, just about every car I saw with one I was offering to buy it, then randomly Alistair called me up as he had one down at the factory, I simply couldn't say no...!quote]

Yeah I pm'd Alistair to see if he had one but he said he had given it away! I am looking at a new one now but there like $300. I did reply to a thread on here for a second hand one but the guy never replied :impatient:

86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:17 pm 

thats alright then! i am thinking of just handballing this one off tho, i'd like to do it myself, but i think in this instance it may just be worth getting it done properly... Tim, down at Sew fine in cranbourne is a mate so i think he'll be getting a call at some point... lol hopefully he can sort us out with something...

otherwise i think it's just needing a damn good cut and polish...! haha

i grabbed this one off alistair pretty much spot on a year ago, was originally going to go on my Corona wagon, but that ended up not happening, car was just too far gone to put the effort into getting back on the road... but good thing because it looks better on the stanza!! lol

i looked into buying a reproduction one a while ago, but all i could find were the Chrome mesh style ones, and they just don't do it for me... :(

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:10 pm 

There is a company that do both the mesh and solid ones. They also made my venetian plus they are located not to far from me. Just a matter of justifying the cost.

86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:37 pm 

That is sooo clean!!

Love it!

Engine needs a degrease though :D

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:37 pm 

Dato200B wrote:
There is a company that do both the mesh and solid ones. They also made my venetian plus they are located not to far from me. Just a matter of justifying the cost.
wouldn't happen to have a link by any chance...? i wouldn't mind picking up a mesh one for one of my other cars (EF civic)

the engine has actually already had a degrease, but it still needs a thorough cleaning to bring it up to scratch, so i'm waitning to do that before taking any more pics...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:43 pm 

They are called autocables google it they come first. They have pics and everything.

86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:53 pm 

Dato200B wrote:
They are called autocables google it they come first. They have pics and everything.

thank you SO much man... you have no idea how much easier that has made my life!! hahaha

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 am 

Pretty good website isnt it. If i had the money i could spend a fair bit there.

86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:14 pm 

That is ridiculously wicked! I'm actually liking the whitewalls tbh, might stick some on my stanza. But seriously, loving the interior, and the car is pretty mint. It'll look the business with a cut and polish! That L7 on the engine has me confused though.