Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: ramjets c210 project
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:35 pm 

hey guys im new here my names shaune and this is my c210 project, i got the car pretty cheap for the some of 200bux, such a bargain, but its needs alot of TLC...
now the rust not to bad, and the chrome on it is in good condition considering how old and where it sits.. im quite surprised how goods its stood up agaisnt the harsh queensland weather.. but after all the good comments about it.. it is still a project and its needs ALOT of tlc..
heres a couple pix of the little beast
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

and some of the rust spots
[ img ]
[ img ]

and the boss kit
[ img ]

first things i want to do is
* strip everything possible inside
* shave everything off the outside
* take center grille out and light surrounds and replace with laurel grille for now later like todo angry light conversion.
* get cherry lights, take rear bumper off and shave it

looking at pretty much copying this paint job and painting all the chrome black and colour code the bumper accordingly...
[ img ]
[ img ]

now my dilemma atm is figuring out what would best suit the car engine wise.. my positives im looking for are ease of replacment parts if parts brake, upgrades arnt to high priced.. and reliable fast daily..
these are the motors i cant decide between..
now i know this is ozdat so all you guys are going to be pretty happy with the good old l28 with p90 head and some triple ccarbs, i would be a happy man too...:) BUUUUUUUUUT as always ive been thinking about the following 2 engine conversion, fj20det with upgraded cams turbo exhaust etcc.... and the last one is rb30/25 with an independant throttle body setup prob use something along the lines of the gtr throttle bodies, and so on..

well tell us what you guys think
and hope you all like it
regards

ramjet

Post subject: Re: ramjets c210 project
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm 

im looking at changing the steering box type to rack and pinion type, so i can hopefully persue better handling..
i heard you use r31 or z31 parts.. was also looking into maybe changing the rear diff and brake set up too...
any help much appreciated..

ramjet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:42 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Hey Shaune, welcome to Ozdat!

The rear lights on the bottom Skyline, are they the type that you are planning on fitting to yours? And will you fit the shark nose as well?

With regards to the engine, RB30 would be an easy conversion and spare parts and performance upgrades are so easy to find. The L28 would still go well enough, I guess it depends on how much power you want for a daily. As much as I like FJs (I'm currently putting on into my 200B, which I will use as a daily) it will require the most work out of the three to fit, and parts are more expensive for them. That said, they sound great and are an excellent motor nonetheless!

Good luck with the build :thumbsup:

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:22 pm 

I vote FJ22 with cams and tdo6 :twisted:

L28 would probs put a simular smile on your face for a fraction of the price though.

When is the thing getting out of my driveway brah lol?? :impatient:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:20 pm 

yea im leaning towards the rb25/30 combo havnt seen it done yet in a c210 and i think it would make it quite a fun car to drive... def will be looking into making the steering better from box type to rack and pinion to make it that little bit easier to drive spirited :)..
and yea jarryd fj22 with td06 would be damn fine but as green200b said parts are bit scarce and rare...but then again there always yahoo japan with loads of parts.. so dunno ill see what round and watever pops up for the right price ill take...

and im looking into doing a sharknose, and putting in the below cherry lights into one of those panel from yahoo..
also wanting todo angry light conversion abit later on down the track
.. pics below..enjoy
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:41 pm 

wowzers!
I reckon Bozo it up like you have said... and the RB30 setup will definitly be a reliable and powerful setup.

going from 6 cylinders to 4 is a big job with engine and gearboxz mounts...

As for rack and pinion, I have seen guys graft in a setup from a BLuebird (early 80's) and also the 280zx has a setup that will very easily go in.

just make sure you have an engineer to speak to if youre gettins stuff welded as they will likely ask for xrays

mad car though... personally it looks like a mountain of work and you will be needing a pile of cash to sink into it!

maybe go nuts in the handling and engine,strip the interior bare and get a cage and race seats and leave the body... kinda junkyardozu spec! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:38 pm 

for the motor, i have thought about something like this for a while

RB30 bottom end

mated to an RB25DE out of an R32 - the one without the VCT, as you can then use the R32 wiring loom and ECU, but have a head that bolts onto the RB30 block
other advantages include top feed injectors, so you can use RX7, GTR injectors, and also the ECU can be modded with NISTUNE easily, unlike the RB25DET ECU

I also thing you want the series 2 RB30 block, as it has the provision for the oil feed for the turbo already there

Stick with an N/A setup until you iron out any issues with it, whilst staying with the standard RB30 compression pistons, and later on, just get a china copy turbo manifold and KKR turbo and fab up some oil lines and cooler pipes and retune the ECU to suit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:42 pm 

Stoney wrote:
for the motor, I have thought about something like this for a while

RB30 bottom end

mated to an RB25DE out of an R32 - the one without the VCT, as you can then use the R32 wiring loom and ECU, but have a head that bolts onto the RB30 block
other advantages include top feed injectors, so you can use RX7, GTR injectors, and also the ECU can be modded with NISTUNE easily, unlike the RB25DET ECU

I also thing you want the series 2 RB30 block, as it has the provision for the oil feed for the turbo already there

Stick with an N/A setup until you iron out any issues with it, whilst staying with the standard RB30 compression pistons, and later on, just get a china copy turbo manifold and KKR turbo and fab up some oil lines and cooler pipes and retune the ECU to suit

ive got a c110, planning on puttin this engine into it, ive got the 30 block (out of a vl) and just picked up a 25 head off ebay (bear head, ie no injectors, coils, wiring harness)

so what your saying is an r32 wiring loom and ecu will work for the rb25 head. i thought the r32 came with an rb20det?
reason for my asking is because i was planning on getting an r32 halfcut, to utilise the wiring loom and ecu, and also use the gearbox and as much of the suspension and steering components as i could get to fit
however i was told it would take alot of work to use the rb20 wiring loom/ecu on the rb25 head

as for an engine in your c210 ramjet, my vote goes towards an rb engine..... strong, reliable, easy to get parts for, easy to modify

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:38 pm 

What i am saying is that you need to get the RB25 head that DOESN"T have the VCT, they aren't too common and came out in late model R32's only in non turbo form, out of the GTS-4 for example

they use the same ECU and loom as the R32, so it makes it a much easier task to modify the ECU

If you want, ring Sam - DrDrift and have a chat to him about it, it's one of his personal projects he wants to do, and has mentioned it to me before
If you dont know who he is, a few guys here have used his services, and do a search on nissansilvia.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:23 pm 

going the 6 route bang for buck is rb30et ( get em complete with gbox for under 1k parts are worth nothing and will cop alot of boost like 18-20psi for a decent amount of time) rb30's parts are worth nothing to the point if you pop the motor just buy a new bare block they litterally are like 200-300 bucks, plenty of torque but sound like ass :P ( best cheap setup ive done, highmount mani, to4e bush, bigger pump and wolf 3d made 250kw on 18psi but was running out of fuel (with injectors and pump will crack 300 at say 20psi) and stock would be more than enough to have plenty of fun in the c210

more reliable but bit down on power is def the rb20det, with a rebuild these engines live to be flogged as most budget drifters can vouch and even without will take a hiding before only doing a headgasket usually. These will cost about 2k with a box but will last a bit longer if you restrict the boost to about 15psi, (best cheap setup ive built a 20 on is, cams, cam gears, injectors, 3071r, fmic and powerfc made an easy 260kw on 16psi with a very saweet power curve)

rb25det, this is a good im if your not gonna spend any money on the engine after first setup, will cost a bit to buy straight up but is a good reliability vs power setup, looking at around 4k for a complete setup (so the two setups above for the same cost as this std engine)

rb26dett, the most expensive to buy and to convert into any non gtr car, starting from at least 7k with a box, there is ALOT of modification, great power and the big daddy of the conversions you will pay for every part but it is worthwile

or my fav which i was going to build in my s13 before i sold it the rb25/30 a very underestimated for cost and majorly powerful (if you got the money 26/30)
with some bolt on mods such as plenum and cams and a forged bottom end i was looking into the 400kw mark
my build cost was only 5k doing the large majority of the work, 2k was for the turbo alone :P big turbo big boost big powah!
heres a nice easy guide to explain the ease of this project download the pdf. http://www.skyline-owners-club.com/foru ... guide.html

all comes down to how much you wanna spend how much you want out of it and how long you want it to last

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:20 am 

If the budget is a big issue, I would tend to stay away from an rb30/25 hybrid setup, just for the reason that to get the bottom end rotating mass to the same kind of specification as the 25 or 26, you need to spend a fair bit of money in terms of crank balancing, journal sizing, and of course given the age you would most likely want to check bores etc. Those kinds of costs start adding up really quickly.

Then there are additional machining costs associated with modifying the block (eg timing belt tensioner) and running oil lines etc.

Once you are looking down the barrel of a full rebuild on an rb30 bottom end, getting the rb25 or 26 begins to look like much better value. You have a much better chance of finding one of those that is leakdown and compression tested, and which you can just drop into your car with some level of confidence.

Also, all the rb 20's, 25's and 30's have the cross-over manifold setup, which increases overall height of motor. RB26 has the advantage of the side-entry plenum, and front-mount intercooler setup (which I presume you will want). You also avoid the cost/effort associated with purchasing or fabricating an adapter to run the individual throttle bodies. All the little add-ons tend to make the rb26 cheaper than it first seems. And they are coming down in price anyway! If you can get a front cut, there may also be other worthwhile things on there such as big brakes etc, which you won't get with (say) a gts-t.

Main thing to watch out for with 26 is to fit the wide oil pump drive collar to the crank, and upgrade the oil pump.

Depending on your power goals, the RB26 (r32) stock ecu will handle a fair bit before it requires upgrading, and the ecu can be modified (to run bigger injectors, for example).

As for the sump, I *think* an rb30 sump can be adapted to fit the 26 block.

Otherwise, as has been noted above, there is good power to be had from an RB30ET setup.