Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:56 pm 

Through a good friend of mine, I found out about a GENUINE one owner 1973 Datsun 240K GL 2 door coupe in white with only 51,000k’s on the clock and the history to prove it! This will be the perfect basis for a GT-R-KPGC110 replica, most commonly referred to as "Ken & Mary".
[ img ]
I searched high and low for the right car; I have been all over the country trying to find the “right one”. I almost gave up hope until I found this car. I am a very meticulous person and although it won’t be a fast build, I can assure you that it will definitely be a quality one! The car has never had an accident and never had any repairs done which is what drew me in. It’s not museum quality but it is a well maintained 240k with a genuine history and I believe that it is the perfect starting point for a GTR rebuild. The owner, who is now 91, bought the car brand new in 1973 from Nissan and has done a fantastic job keeping it in such good condition. He was sincerely distraught when he was signing over the papers but I assured him that I’d give it a good home.
Here’s a picture that I took while I was in QLD finalising payment and paper work.
[ img ]

Last edited by GTR240 on Thu May 31, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:41 pm 

Hells yeah!!!

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:37 pm 

So it arrived today and had a proper chance to look over it with a mechanic mate.
The original engine is running quite rough (was fine in QLD), needs brakes and carbies need a rebuild. This has sped up my decision to take it off the road and restore it without driving it around as is.
Plans for the build are:
*Rebuild L24 from ground up with Webber carburettors and a lumpy cam.
*Convert from auto to manual (if anyone can help me source the bits I need for this, can you please pm me)
*Respray in white
*240 K Manual centre console
*GTR guards
*GTR spoiler
*GTR grill
*GTR badges
*GTR trim highlights (silver instead of woodgrain)
*GTR steering wheel
*New carpets
*restored dash pad (this one’s cracked)
*Wide Wantanabe with low offset (keep hubbies for shows etc)
I’ve taken some quick close ups from my phone so excuse the quality.. I will get some better pictures once I get a chance.. it only arrived this afternoon and as you can see it’s NOT a museum car and is in need of restoration.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

As you can see no rust in the floors which is great
[ img ]
Interior is perfect..
[ img ]
[ img ]
Some may think I paid too much or too little but at least it’s in genuine original condition. Overall I’m reasonably happy and doubt I’d have found cleaner anytime soon.. I know my plans will disappoint many people but at the end of the day, it’s another classic on the road that’s been saved from the scrap heap and will get nothing but the best parts and service. It’s my car, I have always wanted an old GTR and I’m sticking with an original style build. I won’t be putting an RB26 or anything like that (although that’d be awesome) it’s not what I want or how I envisioned it to be (I’m an old skool kinda guy!)..

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:35 pm 

GTR240 wrote:
I know my plans will disappoint many people but at the end of the day, it’s another classic on the road that’s been saved from the scrap heap and will get nothing but the best parts and service. It’s my car, I have always wanted an old GTR and I’m sticking with an original style build.
I think most people are going to think you're doing the best thing anyone could do with one. Period modifications and making it look like the model that made them famous, you'd be crazy to opt for anything BUT that. As long as it has wide wheels, plenty of lows & fender mirrors, obviously hahaha

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:12 am 
Site Admin

I know there were some people complaining on another forum about you going the GTR replica route. I guess mostly because it's not reversable as you have to cut out the rear guards to fit the GTR flares.

I have no such problems. I mean, how could you not like this:

Attachments:
File comment: Alfadogs C110 GTR replica.
[ attachment ]
AlfadogC110GTR.jpg [ 136.43 KiB | Viewed 4829 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:20 am 

Well done on an awesome find, obviously the hard yards paid off. I think the plans you have are just what the doctor ordered so I say go for it. I'm sure the old guy you bought it off would be more than OK with seeing the attention paid to it so as to have it on the road for another 30 odd years!

'72 1600 ground up rebuild - Sold/parted
'89 VN Calais 5L - Sold
'83 VH SLE ground up rebuild - Sold (further built and featured in Street Commodores)
'01 Subaru Liberty B4, 160kW at all four - Sold

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:28 pm 

I appreciate the support and interest; I’ll endeavour to keep you all updated on its progress..
I am going to start looking for either a set of triple Mikuni's or a set of triple Webbers , other bits I may need help sourcing are the GTR replica bits.. Anyone have experience with the AeroDesu parts from OTOMOTO? How’s the quality? Anyone recommend any other brands or places?
240K coupe fibreglass flares (KPGC110 GT-R style)
http://otomoto.shop033.com/p/4260886/ae ... style.html
240K coupe fibreglass rear spoiler (KPGC110 GT-R style)
http://otomoto.shop033.com/p/4260887/ae ... tyle-.html
KPGC110 GT-R replica grille to suit 240K
http://otomoto.shop033.com/p/4260888/ae ... -240k.html
I’m also trying to track down the lettered skyline badge for the rear garnish, there’s one on eBay but it’s missing the pins and he wants $220
http://www.driftworks.com/wp-content/up ... G_0471.jpg
I’m also chasing the Skyline rear quarter badges.. can anyone clarify which ones are correct
THESE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mujitra/6363395931/
OR THESE
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300646031759 ... 1423.l2649

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:16 am 

Im not into big wheels at all usually prefer small compact for classics but this body is like the street machine feature on a massive tubbed Falcon XA,B or C in terms of needing big old school retro wheels. I did a photoshop 11 years ago with 17 inch watanabe RS and it looked balanced. The thing about this big rear body is that it could do with mini tubs to get it as low as possible without sacrificing ride and comfort but be able to fit the 17s or bigger retro wheels of the period.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:31 am 

Good luck with the build. Go as period as you can for a GTR IMHO.
Oh and hope you have a bit of coin. Most of the GTR/C110 badges are worth big dollars... (Damn it...)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:54 am 

You're probably not wrong, but you can just paint the car up and get it on the road etc with the standard trims and no badges, then later on change grill, garnish, badges etc as you buy them.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:04 am 

Hezath wrote:
You're probably not wrong, but you can just paint the car up and get it on the road etc with the standard trims and no badges, then later on change grill, garnish, badges etc as you buy them.
Yeah badges are still a long way off (it's the final thing on the list..) I'll have to focus on the more important parts! Yeah i'm going to put a WTB thread up for all my bits needed in a few weeks (still licking my wounds and balancing the budget..) not in any rush.. so i am going to have to pace myself and figure out what order i'm going to do this in!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:13 pm 

A small update: It took me A LOT of searching around but I ended up tracking down a 5 speed gearbox, tail shaft, flywheel, slave cylinder and all the other ancillary parts needed for my auto to manual conversion. All I need now is a manual pedal box… I’ve read that I can use my existing auto with a few mods but ideally I’d prefer an original item.
I figured this was going to be the hardest thing to track down; so I made it my priority. Also can anyone make suggestions as to some relatively good and easy brake upgrades for the 240?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:57 pm 

Im not sure with the 240k but with the 1600 auto and manual, the pedal boxes are the same you just need the clutch pedal and bolt and you can even reuse the auto brake pedal (just trim down the brake pedal footprint). The pedal is the same except larger footprint for auto. Id dare say being around the same year as the 1600 they would be same in principal. Anyway Im not sure on availability of manual boxes for these cars. Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:54 pm 

Here is a manual conversion, bit exy at $750 but comes with a spare car :P

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bathurst ... 1003283630

Would be nice to see the sedan bought and loved rather then parted out though

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30