Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:48 pm 

I'm after some advice for a build I'm about to undertake.

I have a 240k convertible I'm about to put a V8 with a centrifugal supercharger into it.

What would be the optimum upgrade for suspension and brakes? I'll be in need of some serious stopping and sticking power? So far I've planned to buy front struts and brake assembly along with the rack and pinion steering from an R31 ( priced at $350 so far ) which would have to be reco'd of course.

For the rear I'm leaning towards the wrx lsd as I've found websites that say they are an easy swap. Has anyone in Australia done this? I want the rear disc brakes as well.

Has anyone put a V8 into a 240k and registered it?

P.s I will be selling all the original components except body parts, interior and rear diff assembly.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:43 pm 

pro240c has put a 1uzfe into a 240c and he says that the pit engineers dont require a brake upgrade for that. (WA)

i dont think r31 brakes will be much better then 240k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

I'd be worried about chassis upgrades too. If the chassis hasnt been reinforced for the chopped top, you'd better get it done before putting in the V8. And if it has, you might want to check that its strong enough to handle the power of a V8.

Got any more pics? I'd like to see what a convertable K looks like.

Post subject: my 240k brakes suck
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:53 am 

240k brakes are alright if they have the big booster, my one doesn't it's about the size of your fist, I swear it sucks power away from the brakes.

I drove a 4 door with a big booster on it and I was shocked at the difference between both cars. I figured the R31 could be upgraded a lot easier and I was hoping it would be an easy swap.

I need to find out which car has the easiest to swap front struts, steering and brakes with room for upgrades in the future.

Post subject: chassis work
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:09 am 

The chassis is very strong, perhaps stronger than one with a roof. It can lift a front and back wheel with one jack on the side. We tried for 3 at the front but got tired of winding. The Irs killed our chances.

So for it has had the sills cut open from wheel to wheel and a long box section of steel has been welded into place on each side. These are conected to the original chassis. From each corner of the box sections is a plate approx 15mm thick, 1 1/2 foot high rising from drivers right foot and passengers left foot. Similar in the back.

Passed engineers report with flying colours. It had 500 kg put in it then every wheel was lifted to detect body deflection, this was minimal. On the skid pan no body deflection at all was measured.

Still it will be interesting getting through rego again with chassis, engine, suspension and brake mods.

I'll email you some photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:29 am 

Can you post em up here, I'd be interested to have a squiz...

VH41DE or VH45DE would be my choice... Nice and cheap :)

Only downside is manual would need some kind of adaptor made up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:04 pm 

Quote:
pro240c has put a 1uzfe into a 240c and he says that the pit engineers dont require a brake upgrade for that. (WA)
the 240C is a full chassis vehicle with a double wishbone front end, twin piston front calipers and 11inch rear drums.

the 240K is a "standard" chassis vehicle with a macpherson strut front end, twin piston calipers and pissy rear drums.

i don't need upgraded brakes because i talked to the chief engineer and explained my situation.

a supercharged 8 in a 240K with the roof cut out would DEFINITELY require engineers approval, regardless of whether it is already approved with having the roof cut out. your chassis upgrades only account for removing a structural part of the body (unless you beefed everything up beforehand) - NOT for adding an engine with stomping amounts of low down, windscreen cracking torque.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:01 pm 

hey mate post some pics up of your 240K, i wanna have a look :D
..and pro240c u seem to know your 240K's and C's well 8) do you have any websites with 240K/C info?
cheers

..Rare? Yeah you could say that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:07 pm 

pro240c wrote:
Quote:
I hear you 240c, no point bringing idiot's into it they wouldn't know what we're on about. When the blower is fitted and the engine is stroked (stage 2 of build) I will be fitting a roll cage to it. It will ruin the look but has to happen.

At the moment it weighs more than one with a roof and is only getting heavier. No chassis work has been carried out from the front firewall forward and I'm worried that the V8 even when only N/A will twist the front chassis rails where they intersect the firewall. I'm planning to strengthen them somehow just not sure yet. More steel I suppose. It will have the compulsory strut brace of course.

What special circumstances got you through rego?
What did you do to fit the engine mounts in?
Did you strengthen anything?

I really appreciate any advice/help you can offer.

Cheers Drew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:20 pm 

You may still find that you local engineers ask for a brake upgrade, and I would say it is likely. I know pro and I dont nescesarily agree on this one (and fair enough), but personally I would want my brakes upgraded even if the engineer didn't. Just my opinion, and hey, that may make me an idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:26 pm 

Your picture scares me, but I smile whilst I am scared. :shock:

I agree about the brakes, my car is in for some serious silly business when built.

Does anyone know of a easy upgrade for the 240k brakes?

Any phone numbers for someone who builds cams approved rollcages in sydney?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

i'd be rethinking the wrx diff idea. A blown v8 would break that diff and its smaller than a stocky 240k diff. Go an import 300zx Z31/R31 Skyline r200 diff etc...

Sounds like an interesting project...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:23 am 

I have a V8 240K (that was regoed in QLD) and is going to receive a pair of turbos.
Brake upgrades? there are heaps of cheap upgrades available, R31 being one of the least desirable out there (in actual fact, not really an upgrade at all). You can get a 4 spot, vented disc upgrade pretty easily and cheaply with off the shelf components.

Rear disc conversions are relatively simple, with a few options available.

Stock 240k diff is as strong if not stronger than a WRX diff. Go an R200 and you'll have no worries.

I'd like to help more, but as you said, us idiots wouldn't know what you're on about :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:01 pm 

bob260 wrote:
You may still find that you local engineers ask for a brake upgrade, and I would say it is likely. I know pro and I dont nescesarily agree on this one (and fair enough), but personally I would want my brakes upgraded even if the engineer didn't. Just my opinion, and hey, that may make me an idiot.
yeah, it's got more to do with $ than anything else.

i will upgrade them, just not right at this moment.

you are right as usual beef, upgraded brakes would be better even if not required. but if i can't afford it atm and they're not required....well, you can see my reasoning.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:48 pm 

aye guys do you have any websites with 240K/C info?

..Rare? Yeah you could say that.