Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:10 pm 

Hey Guys,
So I'm new to the forum but I've been ghosting a while as well as elsewhere. My story is of my beloved cedric kh330 coupe which as been to hell and back - I've had this car for a few years. When i got it it looked gorgeous but was rusted to hell and had a feral home-botched l26 running l28 efi gear. I spent some time cleaning up the engine with some mild head work and megasquirt, new ported intakes blah blah. Also the interior was in tatters and the rust was getting crazy so did some touching up.
Anyway, the story really starts in october last year when the car was slammed into a power pole in an attempt to avoid a head on with a yaris right turning when they shouldn't have. I was devastated but my older brother talked me into undertaking a massive repair job together that has occupied almost every weekend for the greater part of a year now.
We had to take an entire front cut from a 260c sedan to replace the badly distorted front frame. but with much time and effort and some careful weld work we got it back into one peice and then striped down the paint and welded in new panels for rust replacments (which where very very substantial in number). I've never tried anyhitng like this before and have had so much help from friends & family donating thier time for hours of mundane panel work and sanding (love to those people!)
Things are finally coming together and the clear got on today... so without further ado, here is some sneak photos of the paint work using my housemates camera before i find a camera cable and load the hundreds of build photos up here :P

-Peter

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

The colour is "shogun grey" ... appropriate i thought :D

Last edited by kolonelklink on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Top stuff mate!

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 am 

Great story. Looking forward to the pics.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:21 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

Awesome Pete!

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:59 pm 

Annoyingly I still havent figured out the camera situation... dont have the cable as its lent and lost for need to track down a flashcard reader of some sort....
nonetheless progress continues. Got my 235/18/40's fitted today and i cant be sure till all the weight is back in the car and suspension is stiffened up but they are pretty tight. I had 225/16/50's on the car previously which worked fine so I'm pushing it just a little now ;). Anyway, should work fine by the looks of things and I'll just have to make sure the suspension is nice and stiff. Wish I had my camera working... looks awesome :D

-pete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:27 pm 

Nice car mate... Looking forward to the pics. Where are you located?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:26 pm 

Nice. Looking forward to a few more photos!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:18 pm 

Rat Dat wrote:
Nice car mate... Looking forward to the pics. Where are you located?
I'm in sydney east... Moved here for uni and havent looked back. I lived near chadstone in melb for a while back when i had a valiant hehe.

Anyways. Here's a drip-feed of some more photos I had lying around in various places plus one I took tonight on my housemates camera again:

[ img ]
I would have loved some wheels with dish but I got these things for a steal and couldnt afford nice dished rims on a uni-budget. still I think they will look pretty darn good even if they are a bit nineties :P
[ img ]
This was a very sad day for me :(... I had heaps of people over the following week tell me about seeing "a cool old car crashed not far from your place"... *tear*
It looked like a great car but the paint was getting tired and the clear was peeling not to mention hidden rust EVERYWHERE. It was always my plan to respray and rust repair but the crash added 6 months of metalwork to the build.
[ img ]
Engine bay before the crash.. I still have this engine... it was actually unharmed due to all the force hitting the rail... we were unbeleiveably able to start it up after the crash after crossing some wires for ignition. I'll be using this engine temporarily while I buildup a l28et the l26 stilll goes very hard though with MS, ported head, manifold and cam- shitloads of torque and revs (ask mark! :P )
[ img ]
Luckily I had a 260c sedan that had just run out of rego and whilst a bit ratty had very good panels and rails. It was sad to cut up this car as it was my first datto but it felt a little like a older brother giving a kidney to his gifted younger sibling - the coupes are so rare and so neglected these days, i didnt want it on my conscience putting a great one into the grave.
We took the entire front left rail, radiator support rail and attached pannels but cutting it out of the floor then carfully grinding and drilling the spot welds.
[ img ]
FRANKENSTEINCAR! ...we welded the new rails to the floor of the damaged car after removing the bent rails by drillingg out the spots... we had a professional come in and do the radiator support join which we felt to be the weakest point if not welded correctly and had everyhting else inspected at the same time. Also added a bunch of steel bar to inside of the front rad. support to stiffen it up and relieve the pressure on the weld... spoting it in the whole length of the beam... no more wobbly front end! :D
On a further note we welding in some more steel reinforcements to the rails adjacent to the lower sills in order to "stiffen up" the frame a bit and for extra safety as alot of rust repair was conducted in these areas.
[ img ]
[ img ]
Two more photos just for the hell of it: the first is a ITB assembly I've been sneakily putting together for a while now... dont have a newer image but its all welded together now and is waiting for me to make some throttle linkages etc. This will be part of the l28ET powerplant that will EVENTUALLY get into the car.
The second image is of my good friend mark happily using his clean 280c to tow my cedric 330 SGLE to its current garage or residence where it awaits patiently in fishoil... one day this will be an awesome project.

Next for the coupe is hilux calipers and slotted rotors and dropping that power plant back in.

Thanks for reading folks and special thanks to Michael and Rory K, Mark A. and Patty the irishman amongst many others for making it possible to get to this point...
100's more photos to come if i ever work out my darn camera lol

-pete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:47 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

thanks pete.....keep up the great work bro!

:D :D :D :D

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 am 

Great effort mate. Love the 280C's/260c's and the cedrics.
We need more of these pimpin' cars on the road. Glad to see someone is doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:25 pm 

if there are any 430/280c or 300c/y30 owners reading this PLEASE help me... I need info on the front and rear suspension and brake assemblies in your cars! pictures of the hubs would be IDEAL. I'm trying to pull brake/suspension upgrade information together then if it's doable I'll post everything up for the conversion on a 330.

Cheers,
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:03 am 

Cedric/Gloria is very beautiful car :thumbsup:
I live in Odessa (Ukraine) and we have also in our JDM club one sedan C330
This car from my club:

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Cedric_330_1_Odessa.jpg [ 166.38 KiB | Viewed 8936 times ]
[ attachment ]
Cedric_330_3_Odessa.jpg [ 130.04 KiB | Viewed 8936 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:59 pm 

wow... cedrics around the world lol. Love the flag... whats going on around the lower sills? looks odd...

Anyways... finally some more photos of the current situation!
the tent is still up as i might do some touch up in clear depending on how it polishes up - so sorry it's obscuring the view a little - plus it keeps everything dry!!

[ img ]
Most of the Trim is on the car this weekend *woo*... looks great me thinks... cant wait till it's dry enough to polish.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Thats the situation as it stands... mostly done on the front brakes, I need to get the rotors back from the machinist over the week and get some more welding gas to do a few bits and peices for mounts etc on the undercarriage. I'm not sure what I'm doing with the rear brakes yet so I've just painted them to match the front calipers for the mean time. Still chasing info on later model ceddies with rear disks if anyone can be of help?
Next weekend the motor goes back in :)

-cheers!
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:15 pm 

Do these things run a solid diff or independant?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:31 pm 

Rat Dat wrote:
Do these things run a solid diff or independant?
Nasty old solids... by all accounts an IRS upgrade is a massive undertaking :(