Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:42 pm 

Sorry boys and girls I haven't forgotten you - I know I promised some goodness but it's still on it's way. I've been chaising my tail on an EDIS conversion which is finally near complete (so many diagrams online are wrong wrong wrong!). Oil cooler to come along with various bits of housekeeping in my raggety car.

on the separate stream idea what do the cedric people think if we have an area pinned to the top of the cedrics members rides section for conversion DIY etc? I think it could be heaps useful if everyone contributes?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:09 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The gradual report where we gradually report. :giggle:

I like the idea of uploading technical upgrades and modifications to this website. I don't think there's any other site that has as many Cedric nuts, so it makes sense to do it all here.

How much technical information do you think we'll see contributed? Depending on the volume of information, it may be prudent to create some sub sections like interior, exterior, drivetrain electrics suspension etc.

What happens now people?

Cheers.

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 pm 

yea im up for anything

LOL the whole 10 of us cedric nuts :thumbsup:

1974 B120

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:23 am 

Start threads in the respective area. That's what the search function is for gents.
Ozdat isn't just about 1600's or 1200's or Bluebirds etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:27 pm 

OKay people EDIS is IN!
Need to dial in the the timing but there is uber amounts of spark in those coils. Very happy.

[ img ]

Obviously I still need to get new leads and clean up the bay a bit more but its looking pretty sweet me thinks. Should catch some of those ponies spitting out the exhaust.

[ img ]

Finally a little tech hint: If you want to run a oil cooler colar on your L6 engine on a cedric the stock filter WONT clear the chassis rail. However, If you go to you local repco and get a filter from a l28 fitted MQ patrol you CAN run this filter and it will clear the chassis :)

[ img ]

that is all for now - Adios,
Pete.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:51 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Pete, please show us a picture of your crank sensor.

Have you noticed any differences with EDIS onboard?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:00 am 

ozconnection wrote:
Pete, please show us a picture of your crank sensor.

Have you noticed any differences with EDIS onboard?

Mark, havent setup my ignition timing comfortably yet so I'll test drive after thats done today and let you know. Already I have noticed that I get less plug fouling on startup (my fuel warmup compensation is too rich at the moment) So i'm fairly confident the extra spark is pushing through the foul alot better. I'm looking forward to tuning an test driving as I noticed on my old dizzy and coil setup I was getting some drop-outs at 6k+ rpm so this is where I'm hoping to make ground.

Will photo my cranking sensor later today. Nothin special though, just fabbed a mount from some modeling material, a bit of steel and some JB weld :P

-pete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:39 pm 

Okay here is the trigger wheel sensor. I just jigged it up... i need to fab a good one out of steel me thinks, i dont know how the modelling material will hold up over time.
[ img ]
[ img ]
Also, I bought a SGLE dash from japan. fishscale FTW. Jigged it up... all good. Looks pretty and I have a working speedo which is a new one for me.
However, my current problem (beware, incoming pun) is to get the amp-triggered dash tacho to respond to a tacho-signal from either EDIS or megasquirt. I could use some guru know-how on this one if anyone has any advice? The tacho wont respond to the pin 2 EDIS signal. I am unsure of the internals of this tacho.
The original Tach was a 4-wire tacho and took signal from the + terminal of the coil, the new SGLE tach appears identical except only receives 3 wires- two of which original from the gauge cluster circuitry.
When the ignition is on, the third wire holds +5volts.

My thoughts are to wire the tach in series with the EDIS positive wire, however I don't want to do this without advice as i went to considerable lengths to get this tach from japan and dont ant to fry it.

Cheers,
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:53 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Yep, Jap spec up to 180km/h on the speedo! Looks cool in there :thumbsup:

As for your tacho, I had an auto sparky put mine in and that was years ago in my 'other' 330, so sorry Pete, I don't have anything solid to offer you. :(

The EDIS trigger wheel is easily seen but the rest is a bit harder....I'll have to come over and check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:27 pm 

ozconnection wrote:
The EDIS trigger wheel is easily seen but the rest is a bit harder....I'll have to come over and check it out.

Sorry M., sh*t picture... i cant get a good one of the arrangement without dissassembling the radiator or pickup. Basically it just uses the driver side timing marker holes and I relocated my timing marker to the other side by painting a new line on the crank... Ideally I should swap balancers or cut a new mark... havent decided yet.

Cheers,
-Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:16 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

If it works........ :wink:

Cheers buddy.

PS, the Patrol filter is just what I needed for my engine to fit nicely in the bay. It was the sandwich block for the turbo oil line that made the Z115 too long and foul on the lower wishbone. The Cooper Z170 fits perfectly! Great tip :hug:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:08 pm 

Took the car for a short drive around the block today. IT DRIVES!
however it will take me a while to build up a new ignition map which surpasses the ZX distributor curve I was running before.
Car feels bogged down compared to what I'm used to from this motor but that is understandable given the current conservative ignition timing(10*@idle). My prior distributor was set very aggressively to 18* BTDC at idle. I notice the difference across the board.

So I'm waiting the arrival of my new timing light to replace my Sh*T old one to dial everything in perfectly before getting too aggressive with timing, then I'll let you know how it goes. Still havent figured out the tach settings yet and I need a new speedo cogwheel... does anyone know if these can be retrieved from automatic the vehicles, if so, that shouldnt be too hard, if not...?

Other things on the list of upcoming events are a ITB setup, a fancypants closed chamber head with super-dooper compression and polished valves and a big cam and maybe a pretty shiney new set of extractors "while im at it"... man this gets addictive.

"Seacrest out"
-Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

It's a good idea to start with conservative timing figures.

What type of timing light did you decide to get?

How many speedo drive cogs do you want? :giggle:

PM me with all your 330 needs bro, you know the deal :thumbsup:

:cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:32 pm 

Thanks M.
not sure what the deal is with the speedo. I know the gauge works but wasnt doing anything on the drive so I have to pull the cable and cogs apart etc.

I'll call you when I have a better Idea, Or drop by with that timing piece (even better!).

-pete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:40 pm 

Wow, just read through the whole thread...awesome work on the car mate, looks very awesome indeed...
and one of these is now added onto the list of cars to have....