Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:13 pm 

Hezath wrote:
Well mine will be very average then... lol
Every 260c Ive seen has rusted out down in the bottom corners of the screen, I just tacked in a curved strip and fibreglassed then filled and shaped her up.

found a new front bar? my parts car has one but its busted up & in QLD lol

1974 B120

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:39 pm 

Haven't found a front bar yet but I've developed some patience since buying this car hehehe, I know of one available but I need to buy the car it's attached to as well, and I might do that when I have some more space available.

I'm gonna be in Qld at the end of the week, but not going as far as Bundaberg.

LHS sill rust repair is all done:
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 pm 

you are doing a great job heath if i ever get around to fixing the little rust parts on the 200B il becoming to you for some tips.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:18 pm 

Alright a bit more of an update. I spent most of yesterday sorting out my centre bearing setup on the two piece tailshaft. Here is the original problem which my roadworthy inspector was unsatisfied with lol
[ img ]

I was unable to find the correct replacement 'tailshaft support' (i.e. bearing and rubber mount) for the car (I could get the correct bearing by itself but that's useless because of the way that the mounts are made). Anyway I ended up with a Hardy Spicer component which was the same as the 'CB02' available through Burson, only it wasn't made by 'Ashimori', rather it was the same thing with a better quality bearing and a much stiffer rubber section which can only be a good thing.

So... it was the best I was going to get and I had to make it fit. The bearing width was 16mm where the original one was 22mm. The offset of the bearing in the mount was different, and it had virtually no splash guards where the original unit had nice big splash guards to protect the bearing. Long story short, after lots of measuring, the best way to go seemed to be to turn the centre bearing around so the front faced towards the back of the car - this would mean that the offset of the mount in relationship to the bits of the tailshaft was correct and that the splash guard matched well with the bit that was fixed onto the tailshaft (so that the bearing was protected).

Then on the other side of the centre bearing it got a bit harder. I jumped on my mate's lathe and made up a 6mm wide steel shim to compensate for the bearing width difference, and then made a 'snout' out of alloy as a splash guard that would match up with the one built into the yoke nicely. I made it an interference fit and put a small lead in on it so it pressed onto the existing half-arsed splash guard nicely, and put a big chamfer on the opposite end so that it fit into the yoke without much clearance (once again, to protect the bearing), then simply assembled the lot in the same phasing as it was to begin with, after a lick of paint in the usual me fashion.

Working the old Colchester:
[ img ]

Me looking like a goof: *WATTA HEAD!?*
[ img ]
[ img ]

This is looking at the end with the lead in, although it's a bit tricky to see:
[ img ]

Pressed into place: (the thin shim in the photo was there when I pulled it apart so I just put it back where it was)
[ img ]

Nice fit in the splash guard on the yoke (not that you can see much of it)
[ img ]

Ready to be bolted in:
[ img ]

So that went in and I put a few more bits of the car back together, put it on the ground for the first time in over a month and gave it a jump start. Having machined all the brakes, I topped up the fluids and spent some time trying to adjust the rear drums a bit better. There is an interesting linkage mechanism that I'm not sure I really understand properly but I think I got it closer to symmetrical than it was when I put it back together and at least the handbrake works now (I couldn't get it to grip at all after maxing out the adjustment on the main cable going to the rear of the car!)
[ img ]
Took it for a little naughty test drive and everything seems to be in order, the new shocks make a big difference but the severely adjusted and spaced springs are still very soft

Now it's a bit lower in the front end than it was, but it's still a bit of a skyscraper. Moar lows coming after RWC
[ img ]

Sorry about the ridiculous contrast in photo quality between my mate's 400D and my crappy phone camera

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:08 pm 

Wow!!! No one can ever say that you are not enthusiastic. I think I will crawl under my car this arvo and see what bad news I have to deal with.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:49 pm 

Well I've been away from Melbourne a bit recently so the car went untouched for a while.

Anyway I got some free wheels the other day. 14x7 with about 0 offset, Japan made, steel five slots, chrome plated. I just cleaned the rust off them, removed the stuffed eagers and fitted some 195/70 $55 fitted remoulds. Should have gone 185s on the front though. Have to dial in some camber to tuck them a little.
[ img ]
[ img ]

They weren't exactly what I had in mind but the offset is good, they look better than the stockies and they cost nothing, hopefully I will swap them for something alloy and more classic JDM

And I removed some of the trim from the front screen to see what I was dealing with there, it's not too bad at all, not going to bother removing the screen. Just rust converted it all, did a tiny bit of bog work and I might add some more sealant in there, give it a coat of paint and a bit of fish oil.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 pm 

Finished that repair off and put the trims back on
[ img ]
[ img ]

Should be going in for a roadworthy inspection on Friday

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:03 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I had the same issues on the coupe but had to take the screen out and weld in some strips. Tricky business so I got my mate Dave to do it right. Worked out well.

From what we can see from what you've posted up, should be a snap for Friday!

Good luck with it mate. Awesome effort :thumbsup:

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:42 pm 

Woulda been a snap if the roadworthy inspector didn't just invent more things that weren't on the list he gave me when I took it in there originally. Stuff that hadn't changed at all, that I could have done if I knew it had to be done. I took it to another guy straight after for an opinion and he seemed to think it all looked good as it was, unfortunately he didn't have time to do a proper inspection so it'll happen at the end of this week when I am back in Melbourne again.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:26 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

What an arse. :x

What did he say was wrong with it? ......he sounds like a tosser to me. Time wasting wanker. I've had similar experiences in the past.

Good luck this time around Heath.

:cheers

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:18 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

You've certainly done a great job Heath. Find a new roadworthy inspector, I hate it when they do things like that. Hopefully you can have this beast registered by the end of next week. Also, after looking at a couple of the latest pictures, I really see what you mean about the front bumper! It just doesn't fit properly at all!

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:08 am 

when I first got my coupe its was rusted to sh*t and messy as hell. I got it registered to drive home with a rattle can and some handy screwdrivelry... before i did though i got failed on not having a windscreen cleaning spray fitted on the car (of all the things!)... took it to a new guy to jig one up for a pass and he said that it wasnt a roadworthy item... totally wasted my time jigging up some sprayers out fo a ford just to pass that day.
Pink slips can get ugly. :(

Best of luck getting through the nonsense

-pete

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm 

Hey Heath,
Sorry to cut into your thread quite late. It's a very impressive read. I recently purchased a 230 sedan and a parts car. It's in similar condition to yours; lots of minor jobs that need doing, but a lovely car all-round. You should be cheering that you only parted with $800 for a wagon, it's a really rare and interesting car these days.
I'll get some pics up of my car, and we can compare notes with how the restorations are going - but for now you are way ahead of me, it's good motivation to hit the garage this weekend!
Cheers,
Drew

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:51 pm 

Look forward to seeing what you got, Drew!

The things I had to do were replacing the tail gate seal and covering up some more surface rust. Anyway, I got a RWC for the car today, wooo. I actually went back to the same guy again. He was pretty para and a bit anal but at least with the same bloke I didn't have to open my wallet again. Done now! :)

Car is going good. Rego appointment at VicRoads booked for Tuesday arvo. Oh yeah and I found out the LPG installer that did my Torana is back in business which is mad because his work is fantastic. So I'll be showing him this wagon soon

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 pm 

Please consider these tanks as they are only a tad more but being modular to suit original fuel tank shape
are well worth the extra 30 per cent more over a steel tank and weigh halve the weight being alloy.

http://www.ppidts.com/propanep/gallery.html

[ img ]