Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: WH230 260C wagon
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:53 pm 

So i have been keen to increase the number of gears in the wagon since i got it.
I picked up a z16 column change d21 navara box cheap ages ago, and pinched a l series box from ray recently.

the other day i pulled the front housings off both boxes for an inspection and to put the L front on the z rear.

[ img ]

The z box is a FS5W71'C' and the L box is a 'B'
No major differences, slightly wider gears in the C, larger countershaft bearing, larger 1st/2nd selector fork.

The only problem i see is the ratios of the z16 box are terrible. see the table below

z16........Lseries.....260c wagon
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Currently 1st gear in the wagon is not bad, maybe a bit tall, so the 3.321 of the l series box i have would be good. For an overdrive, ill take whatever i can get.

Im thinking i should fit the l series internals into the c series case to get a better spread of gears.
Or buy a few cheap boxes and mix and match the gear sets.

I will have the wagon at my new house in a few weeks so ill pull the 3 speed box out then and see if it will fit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:30 pm 

Obviously very interested to see this happen.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 am 

Also registering interest. I need to do an upgrade on my 411 wagon from 3 speed column.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:19 pm 

Bit of an overdue update!

pulled the 3 speed box to do a measure up.
its 135mm longer than the boxes i have. dammit.

You can see the extra length here

[ img ]

[ img ]

and here

[ img ]

The design of the 3 speed box (and 4 speed as an option in some cars) has all the gears in the front half of the box. The rear part of the shaft has no spline on it for 5th and reverse. My first plan was to slip some extra gears in, that was before i opened it up and saw the bare shaft.

See the pic below, there is also no room for 2 pairs of gears to fit in the longer housing.
At least the mounts line up

[ img ]

So heres where im at today

[ img ]

I need a driveshaft like this, but 135mm longer, which is 452mm between uj centres. Same yoke as s13/s14/r32 etc
I went to a few wreckers today and they all told me the sideways hat brigade has bought them all to do manual conversions on laurels and cefiros.

I did stumble upon a GD21 navara at a wreckers on my way home with the parts i need but i have to wait a few days until they decide if they are going to wreck it or keep it for a farm hack.

Also looking for a tidy H190 diff head. 4.11. Diff code HF41. came out in ka24e d21 navaras. i dont think we got them, or japan either. I drove one in american samoa a few years back, but im not going there again..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:25 pm 

i chose the L series gearset as it had the better ratios.
I thought i would just change to the column change selectors and be done with it.

one problem with this is that nissan went to a larger 1/2 selector shaft in the later gearboxes
I couldnt run the larger shaft as the selector that fits it is for the bigger synchros that the earlier gearset does not have.
Here is the larger 1/2 selector on the earlier shaft 14mm vs 16mm

[ img ]

The column change 1/2 shaft also has a notch in it for clearance of the selector.

[ img ]

I decided to make a sleeve to fit the fork to the shaft. cant be that hard.

Using some precision engineering skillz i learned from my brother in law Ray, I lined up the 2 detent notches and marked where the new hole for the dowel pin needed to be.
I ground a flat and dot punched it then drilled.

[ img ]

Some of my workmates told me i would never drill it as it was some kind of hardened tool steel sh*t. They were wrong.
I used this fine quality chinese drill press and only **** 4 drill bits

[ img ]

Then i made this sleeve up to go from 14mm up to 16mm. Pressed it on, machined a notch in it with 20 axis angle grinder

[ img ]

Test fit last night. Its the top one

[ img ]

WIN

So i reassembled the gearbox and it seemed to change gears ok.
After i chucked it in i cut up the navara driveshaft to make a new front half 130mm longer. I used the UJ's off the navara front half as they were sweet and the hanger bearing rubber was still good. I turned the tube off in the lathe and cut a section out of the rear half to go in.
A mate gave me a hand to assemble it on his bigger lathe and we arc welded it up.

It looks like its sticking out a long way from the box, but its only about 8mm further out than it was in the navara.

[ img ]

The column changer shaft on the wagon was a tiny bit short but the navara lower half was a perfect fit. They are splined together to be collapseable in an accident.

[ img ]

Also the wagon lever did not have enough in and out travel to select the extra row of gears. The part i am holding is the bush from the wagon which i punched out and as luck would have it, the navara with the spring return fitted perfectly

[ img ]

I turned the old stopper off the navara shaft and made a new one to grub screw on

[ img ]

[ img ]

Complete

[ img ]

Once i had it all installed i used a mixture of the navara and wagon linkages to get the shortest shift travel and also mixed and matched the best bushes for minimum slop.

First test drive was around the block then the next day ray and i went to hamilton for the night and the next day went to auckland for the cruise to the leadfoot ranch then back to new plymouth.
Around 950kms test drive and it went well. Only problem was the bolt on the column change shaft nearly fell out a few km from home and the gear changes got real sloppy.
Also by pure luck the driveshaft that was welded by a pair of low flying seagulls seems to be perfectly balanced. got it up to 136kmh and no vibrations

Only downside was my rebuild of the gearbox. I mix and matched the synchros but put the 1st and 2nd around the wrong way. When the box is cold it wont go into 2nd when moving. Its no trouble when warm.

Also, the speedo drive is on the other side of the tail housing so the cable hits the exhaust. Im waiting on a right angle drive box for the right price to come up on ebay and ill be away. For now its all good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:41 pm 

so i have done a couple hundy kms of mostly town driving since and it has been all good.
I still have not fixed the speedo drive as its not really a problem at the moment. The cable will reach the new output but its tight against the exhaust. I borrowed a 90deg adaptor and it fits mint so i just have to buy one from us ebay. i forget the thread size it is, but the datsun is metric and very close to one of the imperial sizes. i did the same on another car and just run a die nut up the male thread by hand.

Heath, to do this you will need the following:
-z16 or na16 column change box from navara some 720s or d21. The bigger engine box will also work, but its easier if its the 2wd
-5 speed L series box for the bellhousing. (need the short one if you want to run the gearset, unless you get the better ratios out of the navara box from a td27 or similar)
-column changer rod, spring loaded bush, and linkages from navara. (its possible the 260 one was long enough but im sure there was a reason i used the navara item)
-2wd navara front half of driveshaft. Or machine the UJ's off the 260c one and lengthen. (i did this to keep the original one for another car...)

Thats about it.

I did alot of research to find out what would fit before i started. If anybody is really interested in doing it, i can give you some more information and details on some other ways of doing it.

Not sure how this would fit the 411 wagon, i think they have a smaller box. the 63 series box vs the 71 series i used i think? I know there are 5 speed 63 series column change boxes out of some early vans

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:56 am 

Fantastic update mate. I believe I will be keeping in touch about this one...

1999 GXE10