We have moved to New Plymouth and are looking for a house so work on the car is slow until we buy one and get a big shed.
Anyway, after our road trip at new years the car was running bad and getting worse.
The carb kit i ordered came in so Gen and i rebult the carb. I thought it would be a simple strip, clean, new gaskets and o-rings, and throw it back together. But it was not to be.
The main shaft in the carb has worn into the housing and the butterfly has worn the side off. This made a big air leak that was making the idle bad. I think it was caused by the mechanical linkage from the firewall being spring loaded towards the firewall and pulling on the shaft.
The shiny bits onthe shaft are where the shaft has worn, and also worn into the carb base. Also, both screws sheared off when i undid them
LUCKY for me, i had another carb in stock from an e13 datsun sunny. Its the same carb but later type. The 240c and 260c have the hitachi DAF 342 carb, and the sunny had the later DCH or DCF 342 carb. the 342 means 34mm secondary, 32mm primary butterfly. The later carb is a better carb and has electronic choke, but my one was damaged by the spectacular failure of the engine it was attached to. Im looking for another one as the jets all swap over.
Long story short, i swapped the main shaft, butterfly, and bushes into the 260 carb and it went back together sweet as.
I didnt bother cleaning the outside as the air cleaner covers it
Now it starts and idles with no choke! Great success!
I also fitted a rebuilt 280z electronic distributor. The points were shitting me so i got one from ebay us cheap and threw it in there.
Its a common mod in the 240/260z community. You have to change the base plate to suit the dizzy.
I didnt have a 12v coil in stock, or the time to scrounge one off one of rays relics, so i just did the quick bypass on the ballast to give the 6v coil 12v. gets warm but runs sweet
I put Gen to work cleaning the interior, but it obviously was hard work and boring so she went to sleep..
My old man took it for a test drive and got 15 minutes away when a cloud of smoke came out of the dash and the engine stopped.
Turns out an electrical addition by the previous owner was loose and shorted out. It blew one of the fusible links in hte engine bay. Lucky the car comes with a spare which went straight in and away it went again.
Next job is to strip out the dash to check all the wiring, swap out the a/c evaporator for a new one to suit new gas, fit the new dash pad, chuck some new tyyes on it and cruise. Oh yea, and buy a house with a shed so i can move it to the city from my parents farm..