Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: H230 260c sedan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:25 pm 

Hi guys. New here and just bought my first datsun. Its a ok condition 1974 datsun 260c deluxe . Basically had a couple 4wds the last few years and missed having something old since i sold my TA22. We have just had a little boy so was after a sedan and something just for cruising and happened upon these things when looking at datos. Never heard or seen one before. Anyway i was hooked after taking it for a test drive and snapped it up after negotiations with the wife.

Little info.
Column shift 3 speed auto.
About 260 000kms
Basic spec so no air or anything fancy.
Came with original plates, purchase receipt and every service docket since new. Some guy owned from new until 7 months ago then i got it from the next guy, so 3rd owner.
Lived on bribie island it's whole life so finding rust when i look under things. Service history shows rust repairs every few years. So not sure what I'll find when i get to the body.

Currently rego'd and runs pretty well. Only plans for now are to freshen it up and drive it around on weekends. No real cash for anything major.

More info to come and pics, but struggling to upload some from my phone atm.

Post subject: Re: H230 260c sedan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 am 

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:12 pm 

It looks pretty clean, if it's anything like my 200b check inside the plenum (the vent bit in front of the windscreen) and see if it's rusting in the seam in there. I can imagine salt air/water etc getting in there. If the rust repairs have been done well each time it could be pretty good. It certainly looks nice. Like that model.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:49 pm 

So far rust i've found isn't the worst but expecting to find more. The seals on the front and rear windows appear to be leaking so can image i would find a bit when i get to the windows. Boot filled with water after it's first wash which explains the rust in the boot floor. First things to do are just to replace seals and suspension bushes underneath, everything is passed worn. Think the old guy did just enough to keep it on the road, but can't complain as it is pretty good nick over all. Don't really have the skill or money to deal with rust atm, was originally hoping i had a few years before having to deal with it. So will do my best to stop/kill it for now and in the mean time make friends with one of the welders at work :)

So job's i'm looking at in the next few months.
Replace heater fan, shakes the whole car when turned on, blows next to no air. Waiting on one to arrive from ebay.
Boot seal, door seals, weather shield seals, so i can wash just the outside not both at once.
Freshen up of cooling system, water pump, thermostat etc.
Replace a few engine seals, to stop oil leak, think it might be coming from sump.
Replace suspension bushes as they are all rock hard.
Hopefully at same time lower the car.
Plus there is a bit of noise coming from the back, not sure if bearings or diff, will replace wheel bearing first and go from there.

Will be slow progress as i was lucky enough for my wife to let me buy this and also have a new born so money isn't just lying around lately. Might be a few things i'll have to ask as only have a basically knowledge, but the point of this car is it's simple and i can learn something instead of wasting time watching cat videos on the internet. Picked up and workshop manual the other day and that will help alot. Also made my way through a few of the threads here when researching these cars and that has already helped alot.

Took it out tonight after it's first wash for some photos.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:10 pm 

Beautiful car mate, any more progress?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:13 pm 

Thanks mate, hasn't really been any progress. Plan on giving the cooling system a freshen up and chase down some oil leaks this weekend. All else will have to wait till tax time. The wife is only letting me spend money on the old Qlder we are doing up atm. I did manage to get another heater fan though, so hopefully can get that in and all works just in time for winter (not that we really have one up here).

Been struggling with longer drives lately too, seems to be to many fumes in the cabin, not sure if it's many running a bit rich, there is a strong smell from carb even after being parked up, or many a leak somewhere. At the moment the solution is just to drive with all the windows down. After I make an effort to clean up the dirty engine bay, if I have no clues i'll resort the paying someone even if just for a tune, but the car does run pretty smooth.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:20 pm 

[ img ]
So that might have something to so with the fan being noisy and not putting out much air. Works beautifully now. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:02 pm 

[ img ][/URL]

So quick blurry pic and update. Picked up some cheap wheels these weekend, came of an old falcon ute. As a bonus the tyres were the same size and even had more tread than mine, just had to change over the wheel nuts to the collar types. Anyways a like em, think i suits it.

In other news having the fan fixed has allowed me to drive around with the windows up which means fume free driving. Fumes seems to be a good mix of burning oil, fuel and maybe some of the exhaust repair wrap i used on the holes at the back.

I have finally given it a freshen up, oil filter, coolant, water pump and thermostat. Though the cooling side caused me to chase leaks for a few weeks. Previous owner also ran water only in the system, which i believe has rusted out the heater core, because i'm getting no heat when i turn it on and the tap seems to be working. But all in all, engine bay is alot cleaner, and generally more faith in getting where i need to go.

Plan on giving the carby a retune in a couple of weeks and after that find some hq low springs and bring it down a little. Until then, hopefully drive up to attempt 2 of all jap day at banyo next weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:45 pm 

Awesome, looks very a nice example. ETA of lows?

I may have a spare heater core you know... although I'd be pulling your hoses off yours and trying again to flush it. To me running pure water =/= blocked heater core. The cores are non-ferrous so they shouldn't rust up and block themselves off or anything just because you don't have an inhibitor. Let me know if you want me to investigate this.

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:40 pm 

Waiting a month or so for lows, part of the yearly car fund... I mean tax return. Hopefully i can do a few other things too, nothing major just replace some old bits and pieces.

Was just a guess with the heater core. My dad reckons it can happen sometimes, maybe it meant it getting blocked with rust from something else. Then again all his experience is with old holdens and fords. Will investigate it one day, but finally got on top of the leaks and rethreading old thermostat housing to get things back together, so i'm going to leave it for a little while. It's generally not that cold in Qld anyways :).

My dad is on his way up to visit this week. So talking him into showing me how the rebuild the carby and give it a rough tune.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:59 pm 

How's she coming along mate? I'm in a similar situation with my old girl at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 pm 

Yeah parked up atm. Did the top of the carby. everything looked ok, chucked some fresh bits in, when i was given the right kit. While waiting for the kit, did the front wheel bearings, as i had a kit siting around for a little bit, turns out the seals were wrong with the supplied kit, but got them done. Driver's side was good but passenger had signs it had been running hot. After i finished and cleaned up the old bearings for a closer look, found an o ring that wasn't supplied with my new ones, but will see how it goes, not much effort to fix if it is leaking grease.

Unfortunately going out for my test run, the brake performance has really gone down hill, slam them on and you come to a halt at a norm pace, can't even lock the wheels in my dirt driveway. But it's off the the brake guys tomorrow to get looked at. Tried bleeding a few times, and couldn't find any leaks, so will leave it to the experts. Though even when the brakes were working originally, there was no pedal feel, over sensitive and had to really pay attention to use them or end up in the windscreen.

Hopefully an answer tomorrow and hopefully not to expensive so i have some left to lower it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:12 am 

Well confirmed master is gone. Also rear brake cylinders are leaking. And to top it of, the drums need to be replaced. Anyone able to help with ideas for the last one, I'm pretty sure i read a thread where someone couldn't track down a replacement for their car. Not sure on my luck of finding a 260c at the wreckers. Are 330s the same drum?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:13 pm 

Nice car mate. Very original.

I believe the 330 drums are the same. I would expect the 430 drums to be the same also. they all ran the same h190 diff.

For a master cylinder i used a datsun 1600 one i think. they are all similar. I went to the parts place and looked through all of their stock of 70's nissan master cylinders and got the one that was the most similar.

rear brake cylinders are available from brake shops

Your carby is probably worn through around the throttle shaft. the holes get flogged out and the shaft wears too and allows air in.
Many hitachi carbs from 70's and 80's nissans are very similar. I used an e13 sunny carb shaft and greased up my carb base.
You can take it to an old school carb shop and they can drill out the throttle shaft holes and put bushes in with rubber seals

Your front brakes are rebuild-able. being a late 260c, it will have the same calipers as 260z which are 2 piston sumitomo. the kits are cheap, and if you cant find pistons, you can run run mk4/5 cortina pistons which are cheap.

good luck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:25 pm 

fletch wrote:
Nice car mate. Very original.

I believe the 330 drums are the same. I would expect the 430 drums to be the same also. they all ran the same h190 diff.
Some 430's even have a disk brake rear end too.

B210 120Y Sedan - FJ20ET Race Car Build
H230 Wagon / Van - LD28 Turbo powered - restoration to start