Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:57 pm 

I was just thinking that these are a rare example of Datsun Cedric and I had never seen one until I purchased the first one.

For their era I think they were well advanced in the comfort and standard equipment fitted. It also won Japan's car of the year in '79.

Since I have started to dismantle one of them all I can say is they are built tough not like the current style of cars.

Hence the question, how rare are they?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:41 am 

They're pretty rare, but they haven't quite reached the age where they're sought after as enthusiast cars and have been forgotten by a lot of people, hence why so many of them were scrapped for the power steering pump. In the 3 years that I've actually known what these things are, I've only seen two around Melbourne apart from mine, with all of them being in pretty poor condition. In fact I don't think I know of any modified ones in Australia, but I'll do some research. I get the feeling that in a few years these will start being very hard to find, and I hope people start appreciating them for the great luxury cruisers they are.

Is there anything on the history of these cars in Aus? Magazine articles, reviews etc? Price? Stories of individual cars? Really interested as to why these boats aren't/weren't popular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:53 pm 

I have 2, that makes it 3 plus the other two that Notachop has seen. WOW 5 only known so far, lets keep adding to the list if you know of one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:23 pm 

there are a few in nz, mostly rusting or stripped for parts.
i have seen 1 on the road a year ago

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:12 pm 

Ok so I did a bit more reading, theres a few more out there than I thought. Tandata, another user on here has/had a white one for sale, which looks to be in great condition. Another white one, a complete barn find (serial number 031xxx) that was bit rusty and not running BUT had only 100k on the clock just sold at ebay auction for $850. Theres been 3 or 4 sell on gumtree in the last few months, and on the Downunder Datsuns facebook page I've seen a few, the coolest being an orange one that had a full L28ET swap making around 200hp. Thats still very few cars though, less than 20, so it looks like you're going to be my go to for parts Jack :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:42 am 

I was going to dismantle it, I have started, dash and grill and lights etc but have decided to leave it and take parts off as required, the power steering pump and box will be removed in November. at the moment it is still a movable vehicle. So yes Christian parts are available.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:07 pm 

Nice to see the 430 has attracted attention. It has been some time since I posted on this forum but I got my first 430 (a 80 model) about 2010. (cacky brown colour). Got another one by following home a guy I saw leaving a shopping centre and made him an offer which he didn't take immediately but rang me 12 months later. This one was a 83 model with fuel injection. Sold the 80 model and still have the 83. I am based in Melbourne.

I noted the comments about rust and yes they do suffer in some areas. Lower front guard, front and back edges on bonnet and boot and sometimes above window line on roof front and rear.
The guards are real easy to get off and fix and you should find the inner body structure very sound. They seem to be treated in this area with some type of surface conversion.
Headlight, taillights and brake discs are very hard to get hold of now. The headlight can be rebuilt if the glass is not broken. Put the light in an oven and when hot the bonding softens so you can get the glass out. Re silver the inner and re bond the glass back on. Problem solved.

If coolant additive has not been maintained in the cooling system then the heater core will be gone. Big job to pull the heater out but can be done. Just completed mine. A/C evaporator core will still be ok.

The 430 is a great highway car and very comfortable. If your car is a carby version then it is not a very good system. The carb is rubbish. Get a twin SU setup off a 240 or 260Z and bang those on and you will get a considerable improvement in performance. Do not get the twin carb anti pollution carbs as they are also rubbish. If you really want to go the whole hog buy the triple Weber setup. Pick them up complete with manifold and fittings for around $2k. Yeah I know that's as much as the car is worth but it makes a good sleeper.

BG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:25 am 

BrianJG wrote:
The 430 is a great highway car and very comfortable. If your car is a carby version then it is not a very good system. The carb is rubbish. Get a twin SU setup off a 240 or 260Z and bang those on and you will get a considerable improvement in performance. Do not get the twin carb anti pollution carbs as they are also rubbish. If you really want to go the whole hog buy the triple Weber setup. Pick them up complete with manifold and fittings for around $2k. Yeah I know that's as much as the car is worth but it makes a good sleeper.

BG
Brian
How hard was yours to convert to SUs? I'm thinking about converting mine in the near future if I can get my hands on a set of them because I agree, the single carb is a turd. Mine goes out of tune every week and I have to completely re-adjust it, one weekend its running smooth as silk and the next week it just wants to stall.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:08 pm 

Sorry about my late reply. Been off the scene for a while.
I didn't get around to converting mine to SU's. I sold the car and kept the one with fuel injection.
I did look closely at doing the SU swap of course and if you use the setup off the 260Z it would be fairly straight forward. You would need to make up a linkage connection and change some fuel lines but nothing difficult.
You could fit it with the original exhaust manifold but to take advantage of the extra carbs a decent extractor system would be needed. The 260Z one doesn't fit. It clashes with the steering idler but you could modify a Z set to fit.

I do not see it as a big job but it would certainly make a big difference to the performance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:33 pm 

fletch wrote:
there are a few in nz, mostly rusting or stripped for parts.
i have seen 1 on the road a year ago
Yea this guys seen my stash lol

I have a 430 SGL-Turbo Extra Sedan. It has the L20ET and 3 speed auto, Parking Sensors, Reclining rear seat and some extra badges etc.
It needs a bit of rust work to put back on the road.

Ive also got this L20E Hardtop (pillerless which again needs work)

I love the shape and all the extra stuff that the japs started to put into various models
Anyone have a Rest Seat - which was in the Jack Nicklaus edition - apparently the middle section of the passengers seat folds forward so you can sit in the back with your legs up through the front seat.

Lets make this a 430 Pic Thread too. Ill start with my 430 Haardtop (taken where i picked it up from).

[ img ]

B210 120Y Sedan - FJ20ET Race Car Build
H230 Wagon / Van - LD28 Turbo powered - restoration to start

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:25 pm 

I quite like the 430's, if you ever think of selling your Hardtop Brock, hit me up :)