Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: My 240z.....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:39 am 

nswdatsun wrote:
why do people not value orginality?
I realise this was a rhetorical question, but...

People don't value originality 'cause often times its old and it sucks. For example, my 260z came with carburettors. They are original but they are hard to start on cold mornings and suck down fuel and they smelled and stalled around corners. So I replaced them with fuel injection and it has paid for itself about 5 times over in money and enjoyment.

The 14" wheels were also original but lacked traction so I changed those. The rust I cut out of it was also original but I replaced it with non-OEM metal patches. And I changed the original paint cause that was crap.

Now it's a great daily driver and probably a lot happier than being left out under a tree in my yard as it was previously. It's not original but I reckon its heaps better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:50 pm 

dorifticon wrote:
I realise this was a rhetorical question, but...

People don't value originality 'cause often times its old and it sucks. For example, my 260z came with carburettors. They are original but they are hard to start on cold mornings and suck down fuel and they smelled and stalled around corners. So I replaced them with fuel injection and it has paid for itself about 5 times over in money and enjoyment.

The 14" wheels were also original but lacked traction so I changed those. The rust I cut out of it was also original but I replaced it with non-OEM metal patches. And I changed the original paint cause that was crap.

Now it's a great daily driver and probably a lot happier than being left out under a tree in my yard as it was previously. It's not original but I reckon its heaps better.
Maybe your carburettor was just crap, because my 200B is carbie, and it always starts first shot, never stalls, and isn't too bad on fuel for its age. I'd never replace it with efi, mainly because it would be too much work, and I'd never be able to fix it myself if it broke.

As for the smell, that's just part of the fun. Lap it up. Paint has to be replaced with age, so, resprays are fine.
You're getting a little bit picky when you say rust... I mean, come on man, no one wants a car with "original rust" in it. Unless you can fix it.

Also, there are things you can change on your car to add functionality, then there's just wank factor. You don't really NEED a turbo, bodykits, canon exhaust etc... and personally I'd rather not have them. I mean, you can if you want, but, I'd say in the long run you'll decrease the value of your car. In 20 years time, a totally stock 240Z or 260Z will be a bloody rare thing...

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:12 am 

Well said. If you wanted reliability you can get a new car :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:35 am 

nswdatsun wrote:
I'd never replace it with efi, mainly because it would be too much work, and I'd never be able to fix it myself if it broke...

Also, there are things you can change on your car to add functionality, then there's just wank factor. You don't really NEED a turbo, bodykits, canon exhaust etc... and personally I'd rather not have them. I mean, you can if you want, but, I'd say in the long run you'll decrease the value of your car. In 20 years time, a totally stock 240Z or 260Z will be a bloody rare thing...
Well, that's kind of my point. You can change them if you want. This guy comes on the forum seeking suggestions as to what he can do to improve the functionality of the car and people jump down his throat telling him he has to leave it original.

Also, converting an L series to fuel injection isn't much work at all - ESPECIALLY on an L6. There are complete L28E's and L24E heads lying all over the place. It's not like with an L4 where you have to find an L18E injection manifold and drill injector cutouts into the head. It's all bolt on. Or just drop an entire L28E in. What's more it's all reversible. EFI probably involves less ongoing maintenance than trying to tune carbies, especially trying to balance a twin sidedraft setup. Also, my 260z is now fuel efficent in absolute terms - none of this "fuel efficient for it's age" business. It uses about 10L per 100km if driven enthusiastically, which is reasonable for a 2.6 six - regardless of whether it's hybrid 1976/83 technology.

As for the value of a 260z... I don't reckon you'll ever be able to retire off selling your 260. Yes the 2 seaters are getting thin on the ground but it's not like it's an aston martin or Jag E type. It may keep pace with inflation but that's about it.

There was a guy some weeks ago selling a complete RB25DET setup for a 260z at a bargain price. If I didn't have other cars I wanted to concentrate on, would have jumped on that...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:44 pm 

Mad1600 wrote:
so finally he might see the v8 light... well not really light with 4 camshafts :P
I see your point, but when someone says that *points to above* you really have to make an effort to save the poor car...

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.