Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 71 240Z
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:53 am 

Hi guys, this is my 71 240Z project car. Im intending to use it as a tarmac rally car, hillclimbs, track days, club events & the odd road outing!

As it sits at the moment, it is stripped out, has a Walker 6point Cams approved cage, polycarbonate windows, fibre bonnet & im going to put ZG flares on it (but hesitating due to the mint arches). Im going for the carbon Panda look & ordering carbon parts such as bonnet, flares, bre bobtail, rear filler, bumpers...etc Also intending on using the arizona z car race suspension & brake kit + 17x8/9" Rays wheels (16x7.5 watanabe for rally - rules). As for the engine, i have an L24 & an L28 to play with, with my intention being a very serious L28 stroker with motec 50mm efi throttle bodies, aiming for >350HP!

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
240myzint1.jpg [ 36.67 KiB | Viewed 5620 times ]
[ attachment ]
240myzint2.jpg [ 29.76 KiB | Viewed 5620 times ]
[ attachment ]
240myzexr.jpg [ 30.56 KiB | Viewed 5620 times ]
[ attachment ]
240myzexf.jpg [ 35.95 KiB | Viewed 5620 times ]

'71 Datsun S30 240z
'87 Nissan Skyline R31 wagon
'97 Nissan Stagea RSfourV

Last edited by Zorro on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 71 240Z
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Nice. GL with the build.
You might also want to post here: http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php? ... 6ebfee;www

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:02 am 

Hmmm doesnt appear to be too many Z fans on here?

---------------

Cheers, Lurch!

'71 Datsun S30 240z

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:49 am 
Site Admin

There isn't.
Me and Thomo are about the only ones left :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 am 

I am a big fan of the Z. If i had the cash i'd own one for sure. For now i'm stuck with a crappy old 1600 that's not even mine, it's the missus :( Good to see you have a 240 too, best Zed IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:10 am 

Lurch wrote:
There isn't.
Some people mature and move on :giggle: But Im still love my 1600's.
Don't forget gaijin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 am 

Looking good Zorro. Should sound great with the TB's. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

sbthomo wrote:
Lurch wrote:
There isn't.
Some people mature and move on :giggle: But Im still love my 1600's.
Don't forget gaijin.
Yes that's true - can't forget Martin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Lurch wrote:
There isn't.
*coughs*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

I said 'about'! I was open to correction :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:01 pm 

http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/04_ral ... c_Q110.pdf

G'day Zorro, great looking Zed you have there. I'm currently re-building a 240Z Tarmac rally car and I'm basicly planning on doing the same as you, both event wise and car wise.

If you havn't already I would study the above, along with the AASA version very carefully. A lot of the event's now day's are run under by AASA rather than CAMs and there rules are a little less restrictive. My understanding is with both group's is that you can't run with electonicly controlled fuel injection and the bolt on flairs. It's a bit of a catch 22, there is a loop hole where you can run as a PRC (Gravel) rally car (in a Tarmac event) where induction is free, but you cant run all the fibreglass etc.

I see your building it as a C3 rally car, which really opens thing's up! weight can be kept down and you can run a decent gearbox and diff as well. If your planning on running as a 240Z , rather than a US spec 280Z, I'd be keeping quite on your engine size as the max is 2817cc, if I've worked it out right. I'm not sure with ASAA event's as my understanding is that you can run a L28 in a 240Z, but if you were competing in a CAMS event you would have to run a bored out L24. There is a certain front and rear spolier you can run as well, and they are tiny!

Mate, I don't mean to sound negitive, as 18 months ago I was in the same posistion as you, Homologation papers in one hand, rule book in the other ready to build a 911 eating, Tarmac tearing 240z but after talking to a LOT of people, both competitors and the people who build the car's, my interpritaions of the rule book were a little bit different to what you can really run. Don't get me wrong you can build a weapon of a Zed, and as Classic Adelaide proved last year a very competitve car, but do a lot of research before you spend the buck's. Of course with the Hillclimbs, club event's and touring road events please totally ignore the above as it only applys to Classic Tarmac rallying....

Looking foward to seeing your Zed in action,

Catch you,

Hodgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 am 

Thanks Hodgo!

Yeah ive spent many hours studying the cams rule book, wow isnt it a head F..., really ambigous in certain areas, which is quite frustrating, as many hours & $$$ could be spent on doing the wrong thing!

Yes i intend it to be a group C3 4d/e?! The engine size regs is one of those ambigous areas, i really cant work out the true definition of their max engine size (i suspect its to let the porsche guys slip the bigger motors in while screwing everyone else)! So i cant really tell if the big bore stroker is allowed or not!

quoted from cams c3:

Engine:
1.1 Engine requirements:
a replacement cylinder block/engine is permitted subject to the following requirements:
(i) The replacement must be: a production cylinder block of the same configuration, with more than 2500 units sold for road use, which upon application may be approved for tarmac rallies by the CAMS Recognition Committee as a suitable replacement engine; or
(ii) Be a documented CAMS Historic Commission recognised replacement or substitute for use in this period, in which case the approved item shall be utilised in its entirety.
The guidelines for approval of replacement cylinder blocks are that the block shall:
• be produced prior to 1982
• be produced by the same manufacturer as the original
• have the same number of camshafts and location as the original
• have the same number of cylinders
• be made of the same material as original
• be able to be located in the same general location as the original. No body modification is permitted to allow the fitment of the replacement cylinder block.
In regard to Articles 1.2, 1.8, 1.9 and 1.10 following, references to ‘original’ shall mean the original engine fitted to that model, and not the replacement.
(iii) Be a substitute engine approved for use in that automobile in either Group 3C – Production Rally Cars or Classic Rally Cars.
1.2 Capacity: The capacity shall not exceed 6000cc, unless the original was larger capacity.

For the purpose of engine capacity increase, other than those over 6000cc, the capacity of the original automobile may be increased within the following requirements:
(i) Within the limits of the original capacity class, listed below:
2001cc - 2500cc
2501cc - 3000cc
3001cc - 3500cc

OR
(ii) Alternatively, a maximum of 17% increase over the original capacity of the automobile is permitted.
The automobile will be classified according to its actual capacity inclusive of any bore or stroke increases (or decreases)
1.8 The ignition system is free, save that electronic engine management systems are not permitted unless fitted as original equipment. If so, the electronic engine management system may be modified or replaced, provided the replacement system is from the same period as the original system.
1.10 For naturally aspirated automobiles the complete induction system is free save that fuel injection shall not replace carburettors, unless it was an option on another model of the same family of automobile from the same period.

BodyWork:
• Front mudguards, bonnet, nose panel, boot lid or rear hatch of alternative material are permitted, provided they are of the same external shape as the original panel. The following minimum specifications of alternative materials shall be respected: aluminium – 1.25mm thick; glass fibre/glass fibre reinforced plastic – 3mm thick.
7.2 (i) The use of any under trays, fairings, scoops, louvres, air intakes or exits is not permitted (except as provided for in 6.3) unless supplied by the automobile manufacturer as standard equipment in original production or the competitor can prove their legitimate use on the particular make and model in national or international level rally & circuit racing competition during the period in which the automobile was manufactured.
(6.3 Cooling ducts may be added but these must remain within the perimeter of the bodywork when viewed from above.)
(ii) Notwithstanding the above, the addition of period style bonnet louvres and engine cooling ducts within the bonnet and/or front valance panel is permitted.
7.3 Easily demountable windscreens may be replaced by another screen of a period type. Other glass in all windows except for the windscreen may be replaced by any transparent material of adequate strength (eg, polycarbonate), which must be fixed and operate in the same manner as the glass replaced. Such material shall be not less than 3mm thickness. Safety straps or clips on front and rear windows are permitted.
7.4 The addition of front and rear aerodynamic aids, side skirts and mudguard/wheel arch flares is permitted, provided these are identical with the components originally fitted to a production model of the same body shape and the items are fitted in accordance with the total original package configuration.
Where an automobile does not have access to such components, wheel arch flares may be added by integrating the flare with the guard or bodywork or by bolt-on means, provided that the increase in the total width of the bodywork is less than 100mm and that the flare may not exceed the radius of the original wheel arch opening by more than 200mm. (Refer to diagram 7.) In this case, the maximum track increase allowed is 100mm and for the purpose of wheel and tyre clearance, it is permitted to remove up to 75mm of original bodywork measured radially from the edge of the wheel arch outwards. Any cavity exposed in a door or wheel arch through the removal of metal must be covered by the addition of a metal closing panel. Any body joint protrusions must be rendered safe. The operation of any door must not be affected.
7.5 Bumper bars and over riders may be removed, or replaced by others of the same shape, but of alternate material.

7.11 Wheels and tyres
(ii) The minimum tyre aspect ratio percentages are:
Groups C1, C2, C3

* 1947-1971 = 50
* post-1971 = 40

For Groups C2 and C3, wheel diameters may be varied by a maximum of ±2”, and the width by up to 2” from the standard (not optional) dimensions.

So according to that i might be able run a 3.1/2 stroker kit??? as its within the 17% increase of capacity of an engine (L28) that was originally fitted to an S30 chassis! ...may mean i have to run in 4E?
or
that i can run an engine that is under 3000cc (2501-3000cc), so a lightly bored stroker? = 4D! (ie: 86.5mm bore x 85mm kameari or OSGiken stroke = 2997cc OR 87.5mm bore & an LD28 83mm stroke = 2994cc OR the elusive rumoured 84mm stroker crank? with a 87mm bore = 2996cc)
or
be under 2500cc using a L24 so 84.5mm bore x 73.7mm std stroke = 2479cc OR +17% over stock is 2799cc (86mm wafferthin bore with L26 79mm crank = 2753cc)?!?!?!?!

OSGiken stroker kit : :hail:
[ img ]
hmmm its still alittle confusing as to what i can use......

Both the 280z (L28e) and a Jap 240z (L20e) (*s30 chassis) used electronic fuel injection so that covers "1.10" and had electronic dizzys with an ecu, so i think that covers "1.8"! (I did see a 240Z using efi throttle boddies in the classic adelaide a few years ago, maybe it was from the prc rule? hmm....)

The bodywork rules seem to clear the use of fibre panles, polycarbonate windows, flares, certain aero aids etc! As there is plenty of that stuff used on various models of S30 over the years of production (z432, zg etc...) & also the optioned parts used on all the s30 race vehicles of the time (ie: rule 7.2)!

Also according to the rules a 2" increase in rim width & dia. is allowed, so as the 280z & Z432 both used 14x5.5" inch rims a 16x7.5" rim is technically allowed, even though many seem to think a 7" is the max allowed (mainly due to porsche guys that complain i think) as the standard 240z & 260z used a 4.5 to 5" rim (depending on location..?)! (pitty the factory didnt go through with the Z432R rumoured use of 15x7 magnesium rims, but instead opted for the use of 14x4.5 steel rims as they stated that race teams will use their own rims and therefore it would be an unnessessary cost...arrgghhhh where was the foresight?!)

Well thats my understanding of the Cams rules anyway, but will investigate much further before i part with my cash & time modifiying! But thanks for informing me of the AASA rules, i will look into that too!

yeah thankfully the driveline is fairly free to mods, so i will probably use the kameari int gear set in the 240z box & a GTR R200 diff.

I honestly dont care what class i have to run in (may have to run in cat 5), so long as i get to race my dream Z, i will be one very happy chappy!

'71 Datsun S30 240z

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:17 pm 

Yeah I know what you mean!!

The Homolgation papers state that it's hologated with 14 by 10 inch alloy rim's and the 240Z is Hologated with a L28, so my understanding is that's what you can work from. Your spot on about the 7.5 inch rim's, most Zed owners seem to use 16 by 7's and 225 tyres. The important part of the 1.10 clause on injection is 'of the era' bit and my understanding is that means no programable aftermarket jobbies. In 1973 the works 240Z rally cars used triple throttle bodies and a programable, adjustable electronicly controled fuel injection, to me that's 'Of the era'?? Your right it's takes some working out.

I'd love to have the money to have two Zed's, enter and turn up with the wild one and see what happen's, and drag out the 'legal' one if needed. In the end of the day it look's to me that the 240z is very competitive in the early (pre 73?) tarmac rally class where the 911's are more restricted. The real quick 911's seem to be all post '73 jobbies. Porsche was serious about there racing and homolgated everything! and built some very smart motorsport variants of the 911, where Datsun, and most other makes, didn't. My experiance with Targa Tas is that as long as your not competitive they turn a blind eye to a lot...and a few competitors have broke down and pulled out on the last transport of the event to...if you get my meaning...

My car has been log booked for 20 odd years as PRC, so that's basically what I'm building it as, so I can use, as it is my understanding..., and have sitting on the bench, triple, EFI hardware throttle bodies, M48 Motec, LD crank, and a L28. The car is full steel (OK Lurch theres a little bog there!) and for club/State level event's I'll be using 16 by 8 Superlites as 16 by 225 tyres are the best choice due to it being a very popular size, and second hand stuff is avalible if the budget is a bit tight! In the past it was often entered as a 280Z. If the rules change I'll buy some Webers etc.

Anyway Zorro, build it and have some fun matey, that's what it's all about.

Hodgo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:51 am 

For official competition the rules are a minefield, I don't know the exact details but I do know several blokes who have built/are building tarmac rally Zeds. Basically the Zed is restricted by the rules, particularly compared with the Porsches, as to what it should be able to run compared with what it is allowed to run. So you will not beat the top Porsches who also seem to have a habit of only 'competing' in events that favour their cars.

It will help a lot if you join a CAMS affiliated car club in your state where there should be members who will be able to help and advise you. Note that Targas are expensive to participate in too, $15K for Tassie as a rough guide.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:07 am 

How's it going Zorro, any progress?

Worked out a plan with the motor?

This photo should fire you up, it's the Siddens 240Z from Targa Tas last year, he runs a very healthy L28 and please note the spoilers and perspex windows....

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Sidens targa092.jpg [ 141.17 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]