Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 am 

Well firstly I'd introduce myself, my names Luke and I just recently purchased a 260z 2+2.
This is my first nissan/datsun/classic by previous cars have been a EB Falcon with a 347ci V8 (manual etc etc) and an XF. I used to be a Ford man but got turned with a lot of mates owning Nissans (majority R31's).
This zed came up for the right price and I snatch it up.

This is it
[ img ]

Giving a wash sure made a difference as it had been sitting around for a while since the guy I bought it off has moved interstate
[ img ]

Even though its a 260 it has L24 running gear in it and a top draught single carbie. It did come with twin side draught though
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

It also has a lever in the engine bay on one of the fuel lines. This is one of the many weird mods it has. As far as I can tell the owner two owners back was setting it up for rally. Is this a fuel shut of valve? what is its purpose. There is also a switch right next to the fuel filler as well. The fuel system has been changed too (I will get pictures) and it is running incredibly rich, so much so leaving a couple of litres of raw fuel on my driveway from the exhaust. Number 6 spark plug looked like this when I pulled it out
[ img ]

Hoping replacing that will help. Also suspect that the float in the carbie could have issues. What are peoples thoughts?

Not to mention it has a push button start
[ img ]

Some more pictures
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

As I'm new to these cars you'll probably see the odd stupid/obvious question from me, but that's the learning process. Never going to know if you dont ask.
Any help would be great, cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:42 pm 

Lookin good mate. I'm a bit of a Ford man myself but have always had a soft spot for the smaller datto's like 1600's, 180b's etc. Would love to one day own a Zed but for the same money i could turn my XF into a pretty tuff beast. What are your plans with it? Some new wheels would set it off for sure and you probably wanna put some triple carbs on it then it looks like it'd be ready for cruisin.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm 

Interesting. Don't know who owned that, but it seems they have done some odd things. Do you know what carby is on it now?
The wheels would look better if you removed that black paint, but the exterior seems to be fairly straight. Is that some damage on the front bottom corner of your passenger door though? Looks kinda like they bogged up some rust there maybe.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 am 

Yeah both door have a nice combination of rush and bog in them.
Dont know what carby is on it now, will try and find out though. She does need a bit of work, but for the price I paid and how old the car is, I expected it.

Plans are to get it running right and fix all the things that dont work (like speedo), then upgrade the suspension and brakes, then a new set of wheels. But this is a long term project.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:27 pm 

Ok, spark plug replaced and she fired up...just its still running epically rich, like raw fuel dripping out of the exhaust.
This is fuel on my lawn

[ img ]

I tinkered with the two screws in the carbie, figured out which is the idler control and I'm guessing the other would concern air or fuel. I've upped the idle a bit (sitting around about 1,000rpm on idle now, was on about 500-750rpm). Went to take it for a test and didnt get out of my driveway before it died in the arse. When i would put my foot down on the throttle it would cough and splutter before revving and cutting out. So its rich, I just dont know how to take fuel out.
Also this lever and switch near the fuel filler still puzzle me. Flicked both over while it was running and didnt seem to make a difference.

Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:17 pm 

Google Datsun SU carb tuning or something and get the info on these carbs. You look to have the good carbs, fuel mixture is adjusted underneith the carb, with those big nuts moving the main jet up and down. Balance between the carbs is important also. Good luck, you won't learn if you don't give it a crack.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 pm 

Looks good lukey, what are your plans motor wise going to stick with the L24 ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:02 am 
Site Admin

PirateZed wrote:

Also this lever and switch near the fuel filler still puzzle me. Flicked both over while it was running and didnt seem to make a difference.

Can anyone help?
The fuel shut off valve? How long did you leave it closed. Wont have much of an effect on a carby until it drains the float bowl.