Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:49 am 

[ img ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:44 pm 

F#$% Yeah man... You gotta be happy you didn't sell it now. That is mint. I'm gonna use that as the benchmark and for a bit of inspiration.
:P :lol: :) :o :twisted: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:17 pm 

thats a very cool car man, i love it, especially the fact that yourve done it all yourself with the help from mates top marks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:54 am 

So, has been a while between drinks.

I had basically been using the zed as a daily, and with the EFI setup and the inherent reliability of the L6, it never missed a beat.

So as a reward I put the thing up on jacks and stopped driving it!

But with good reason - I ordered a bunch of nice goodies for it and been (slowly) attempting to install them.

Basically, I wanted a compliant ride for daily driving duties, so went with slightly lower king springs, some KYB shocks from Baz, and a nolathane bushing set from the z-store.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
260z_rear_strut_assy.JPG [ 27.53 KiB | Viewed 2878 times ]
File comment: Collection of parts
[ attachment ]
260z_parts.JPG [ 25.39 KiB | Viewed 2878 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:57 am 

Once I had the thing up in the air, it was really amazing how flogged out some of the stuff was. But then, not so amazing, given it's now 32 years old. Some of the bushings were just completely chewed up and hammered.

Attachments:
File comment: quite seriously deformed
[ attachment ]
260z_a_arm_bushes.JPG [ 19.43 KiB | Viewed 2877 times ]
File comment: Looks like it's been chewed by a dog
[ attachment ]
260z_swaybar_links.JPG [ 21.05 KiB | Viewed 2877 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:22 pm 

Hey Andrew, any progress on what you want to do on the Hilux brakes?
I sent a pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 am 

Yeah, I caught that link to Lurch's thread on the s13 conversion.

So the s13 upgrade has it's advantages in terms of, you don't need to drill from 5-stud to 4-stud, and so the hole spacing won't compromise the integrity of the disc.

But, then you have to space out the caliper mounts, which doesn't have to be done with the magna upgrade (but the magna disc needs redrilling from 5 to 4 stud).

I am asking around at the moment to find out what machine shops will charge for redrilling the rotors etc. There must be places around that do it, I just haven't been in the world of brake rotor modification before now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:23 am 

dorifticon wrote:
I am asking around at the moment to find out what machine shops will charge for redrilling the rotors etc. There must be places around that do it, I just haven't been in the world of brake rotor modification before now.
M&A Engineering in Mitchell redrilled mine, I cant remember what it cost as I had other stuff done at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:30 pm 

M & A Engineering Pty Ltd
Address: 1/12 Cheney Pl, Mitchell, ACT, 2911

Phone number: (02) 62418070

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:08 pm 

I gave them a call, to drill Verada rotors to 4 stud, and enlarge the center hole is $77 EACH incl gst.... total of $154 every time you need new disks

I dunno but they are either REALLY good, or the task is more expensive than I thought! i wish i could do it at home.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

FARK thats expensive...
Just on the sly lads, I got both S13 rotors hub PCD redrilled, the centre hole inlarged & 5mm taken off the rotor OD for a $40 cash...

BTW there is nothing wrong with spacing the caliper out as long as hardend washers are used, together with longer bolts :wink:

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:31 am 

MAG86 wrote:
I gave them a call, to drill Verada rotors to 4 stud, and enlarge the center hole is $77 EACH incl gst.... total of $154 every time you need new disks

I dunno but they are either REALLY good, or the task is more expensive than I thought! I wish I could do it at home.....
Yeah, dunno how confident I would be with a magic marker and a cordless drill trying to modify brake components...

$154 isn't that much considering the brakes tend to wear less rapidly when you have so much excess stopping power. Also, you would get 1, maybe even 2 machines out of the discs before they were below min thickness, so that dollar cost is spread over a lot of brake pad replacements.

But yeah, getting any of this work done in the ACT always seems to be a rort.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:51 am 

So, with the back end safely back on the ground, I have gotten stuck into the front end. Turns out the front had the original "wet legs" in there, but the oil was completely burnt and degraded to the point where it was the consistency of water. So the KYB front struts will be heaps better.

THe condition of the bushes in the front was even scarier than the ones in the back. I suppose that makes sense, far more load/movement on the front end - but still, looking at some of the bushes, it's amazing that the steering wheel had any influence at all on the direction of the car.

Another weird thing - a while back, Tyrie gave me the front sway bar from a 280zx. I thought I'd have a look to see if it fits my 260. In all key respects, it appears as if the 280 one would fit. It's basically the same shape.

But, then I measured the thickness of the bars with the verniers, and both bars were 21mm thick. And, the nolathane bushes supplied an 18mm id bush with the kit, so I couldn't use it in my car (luckily the ruber bushes on the 280zx bar that Tyrie gave me are in better nick, so they will be there until I find a nolathane version with 21mm id).

So did the 260z's have 21 mm front sway bars, or did someone do a swap on my car before I owned it?

Attachments:
File comment: Do you think that needs replacing?
[ attachment ]
front_sway_bush.JPG [ 15.34 KiB | Viewed 2792 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:38 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-XA-X ... 286.c0.m14
these look kinda similar, maybe check azt a wreckers or a ford enthusiast. (cheap enough though)

I know the R30 had a 21mm fnt swaybar, as well as the 280zx, but I have seen pre-1981 R30's with 18mm front swaybars, so it could be a hard question to answer unless i trawl hybridz

this fella, Rob Mills in Ringwood Victoria, he really knows his stuff

Phone 03 9722 2842 or 0408 104894 Fax 03 9722 1831 email rob@ringwoodautoparts.com.au

Maybe give him a call, he has access to heaps of catalogues and parts lists, as well as having an ebay store he orders stuff in WAY cheaper than most other places (he operates out of his own garage, not a chain of brand name stores)
http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Ringwood ... m14?_pgn=1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:01 pm 

MAG86 wrote:
I know the R30 had a 21mm fnt swaybar, as well as the 280zx, but I have seen pre-1981 R30's with 18mm front swaybars, so it could be a hard question to answer unless I trawl hybridz
Hah, I'm not that concerned about it, and obviously I'm happy to have a 21 mm sway up front as opposed to 18. Should be able to track down a nolathane bush, even one for a 280 would work.

Hey are you usually home weeknights, I need to swing 'round and pick up those brakes!

Having the zed with it's nose in the air and front wheels off really helped me visualise what I need to do on this front brake upgrade.