Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:57 pm 

Just finished a big drive from the Blue Mtns to Horsham (Vic).

The car now features a super-clean carb, new points, and new plugs - the latter the cause of much concern.

Left the Blue Mtns for Horsham in Vic, and got as far as Cowra. The thing simply wouldn't idle, the moment the revs dropped, it stalled.

Just driving the thing was all but impossible, having to turn it over the moment one slowed. Either the battery or starter motor would be ruined. It meant a night in Cowra, then off the next day after the carb was unblocked and cleaned. Motor running smoothly, apart from the odd miss. It happened three times in the morning, then three times again later that day, after many kilometres covered.

The next day, same deal: three misfires in the morning, and then later in the day, after many kilometres.

Anyway, eight days later I drove back. Great drive, wonderful country. Just a few misfires for the two days of driving, but over the rugged Goulbern/Oberon road on the last few hours before home, misfiring often.

The next morning, outside home, the thing fired up then stalled and would not re-start. The NRMA mechanic said the carb was flooded, so a tow to my mechanic.

His verdict? Rubbish plugs. He even said where I got them from (he was correct) and said people fitted the things and complained of a miss-firing engine. Basically, the things kept miss-firing, getting fouled, which caused the build-up of fuel (this is a brief explanation).

He put in NGKs, adjusted the choke, and it runs like a swiss watch. No, really. Beautifully smooth.

So, apart from the carb blockage (bad luck) and poor choice of plugs, the car actually did quite well, covering hundreds of kays without a hiccup.

Off to Tassie in Spring. Very confident the car is now sorted.

Like to show you the photos of the trip, took some great ones for you, but I lost the camera. I also lost my false teeth. Don't ask.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:19 pm 

Car is running like a dream. So smooth in operation (and gear changes - it's an auto).
Tallied up the kilometers traveled in the trip, and it's 2,900km.
Just got my new driving lights wired up.