Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: My new 120y project
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:32 am 

Time to reveal my new 120y project

car- 1974 datto 120y sedan bright orange
standard a12 and 4 speed at the moment, which suprisingly goes pretty hard
current mods
240z bucket seats and sparko harnesses

15x7 5 spoke white rims +22 offset with 205 50 tires-- no spacers

modded 200b struts with 120y perchs/ 240z springs and kyb inserts
180b Extended lower control arms and steering arms.

re-threaded radius rods for 4 degrees caster

Spring eye reversal rear standard leafs with kyb shocks

this produces sensational handling. It would give my 1600 a woooop assssin around a circuit even though the 1600 has 10 times more money spent on it.

mods in the plannin

I have a l20b with ported a87 head heavy springs and 72 degree cam on the engine stand with genie 4-1 extractors.
no induction as yet, but thinking i might try out rigging up a DELCO GM computer.
Should be really easy to wire up, and i think i could have it running in a few hrs.

the big hassle is going to be the intake manifold and injectors.
I have a spare twin weber manifold, so i thought i might be able to cut off the camira injector bosses and weld them onto the weber manifold. Then get a short piece of 3 inch alloy tube and weld it to the manifold to make a plenum chamber. Then adapt the camira throttle body to the 3inch tube. That way i can retain the camira/delco TPS.

Triggering the ecu will be easy cause i will use a bluey elecronic dizzy's reluctance trigger which is exactly what the delco requires.

I have been hearing so much great stuff about these delco's. i just gotta give it a try :o
I don't think i would even have to get it retuned for a while considering the standard camira is an 80 somthing kw 2.0l.
Might run a little lean??

Have got a 180b crossmember and a bluey 5 speed to go with it, so the l20 should be easy to fit.

should be a grunter in the end

pics up soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:03 pm 

YAY! sounds like heaps of fun man. get up some pics...

i hope you have better luck with your electrics than i have... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:12 pm 

sounds good dude - i have a trick (well, not really a trick - it's pretty old hat actually) for stiffening up the rear ends on the leaf-sprung rear end AND lowering it at the same time for about $10 in scrap steel.

i'll show you if you like... :!:

the camira bosses are bolt on/off, so just drill and tap holes for the screws and drill a hole for the injector, grind the underside of the boss to match the shape of the inlet manifold and you're away.

the 808 delco as found in the camira/N13 pulsar is FULLY reprogrammable with Kalmaker and is infinitely more tuneable than a MoTeC when opened up.

we might have to look at some KYBs too.

***OUT OF ACTION***

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:20 pm 

sound like this plan is going to be put into action

Those injector bosses sound easy

The only pain in the arse bit then it attaching a plenum chamber and throttle body (not really that hard i suppose)

Injection perfection throttle body's would be lovely, but i just cant afford the ridiculous amount they charge.

Is there any other quad throttle bodies on the market that might be adaptable eg toyo 4age, gtir sr20??

It would be great pro if you could give me a rundown on how to modify the rear end. It really needs to be a little lower and i don't want to invest in lowering blocks.

One last question, that kalmaker you were talking about. i did a little research and doesn't it cost like 1100 for the software. Thats a little steep for me. I could buy a whole new aftermarket computer for that!
eg http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page17.html
I was just thinking of rewriting the eprom myself. Doesn't seem that hard, i already have a eprom eraser and writer, But knowing me i would probably blow up the motor trying to tune it :roll:

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:04 pm 

http://www.megasquirt.info/