Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:52 pm 

Still battling on. Currently serving as my Daily Driver while the Commodore is off the road pending LPG system assessment.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
bluebird.jpg [ 462.68 KiB | Viewed 1534 times ]
Probably my favourite car to drive, despite its age. Great sounding original radio and speakers despite lacking power. A bit thirsty at 10L/100km since the carby was rebuilt a few years ago.

A little quirky. None of the gauges currently working - a project for another day. (I have a light attached to the thermo fan though so I should be warned if overheating.) Had to add a relay to the Parking Light circuit because the switch started mucking up and getting hot / cutting out. (Was using two smart phones in the interim.)
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
relay.jpg [ 115.54 KiB | Viewed 1534 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
phones.jpg [ 71.68 KiB | Viewed 1534 times ]
Only other mod is daytime running lights integrated into the headlights. This is a terrible colour for visibility.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
headlight.jpg [ 173.3 KiB | Viewed 1534 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
datsun_bluebird_11.jpg [ 114.06 KiB | Viewed 1534 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
datsun_bluebird_12.jpg [ 106.91 KiB | Viewed 1534 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:07 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Very nice! These don't pop up too often.

I had one of these many years ago as a parts car. It went noticeably better than any other Datsun I ever owned. The seats especially were very nice, in particular the factory blue.

What is the car's usually purpose, is it mostly a back-up car? I would be cool if you found some extra body moulds and some original hubcaps.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:55 pm 

G'day green200b :)

What's it's purpose? Mainly as a backup vehicle, but increasingly it's getting interest because like you said, you don't see them around much any more. I've always enjoyed it because it's so straight forward and simple, but with a few things that made it unique.

The vacuum flourescent gauges (once I fix them) were something you just don't see any more. Very '80s.

The dual ignition system (it has eight spark plugs on a four cylinder engine) is also a curiosity.

The tail lights are big relative to the rest of the car - you can't miss them. Similarly at the front, I often refer to this car as "ol' lunchbox lights" - better lights than the '95 VS Commodore I usually drive..

Still drives quite nicely except for a vibration around 75-85kph that I believe is an unbalanced tail shaft; but others say are Uni joints. Nice three speed auto, fresh fluid.

Normally it lives under a car port so it's partially out of the weather - the HG Kingswood and the Commodore get the shed. A couple of small rust patches are a concern.

The motor probably has 80,000km or so on it - not the original as my stepmother killed that by depriving it of oil. Nobody knows for sure though as the odometer stopped more than 20 years ago. The alternator died the same day I took it's previous owner to hospital for the last time, so it sat in her shed for many years.

Had dreams of converting it to an EV one day, but that probably won't happen. (More likely to if I had two of them.)

Sorry, probably more info than you wanted! I agree re the seats too.