Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Anth's Shed Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:42 pm 

Yeah mate, not looking forward to the bill! But at least my neighbour will look after me, better than paying "retail" but it'll still sting.

Yep she's a whippet named Lady, turned 9 last September so she's getting on a bit now, but still acts like a pup. Great dogs, recommend them to anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 pm 

Driveway update...

[ img ]

Not long to go now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:03 pm 

Coming along nicely Anth..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:35 pm 

Longest driveway ever is complete. Poured, cut and sealed. Final shed inspection tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed for me.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:49 pm 

Looks grouse mate. Very Envious... :cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:55 pm 

Great work anth

Ummm, scared to ask but what was the damage on the driveway? Don't worry i am sitting down; laying even. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:41 pm 

Few updates:

Final permit approval!

[ img ]

So that's a huge weight off my shoulders! Feels so good to have that behind me, now I can concentrate on making the inside how I want it. But before I get into that, it's been really nice just to use the driveway as it was intended. I'm actually able to push the car out of the garage and onto the driveway with ease, which was perfect for an early morning wash session a few weeks ago. The first drain is situated in the perfect position for washing cars, too.

[ img ]

[ img ]
Excuse my jocks, at least they're clean!

My main issue now that the weather is starting to warm up, is how hot it gets in the shed. I knew I had this issue last year, but I had a break from it during the cooler months. As I've mentioned previously within the thread, I scored some free insulation batts from my neighbour, which I want to use on the two walls that receive the most amount of direct sunlight (North and East).

I've been reading about needing a thermal break, so I thought I'd put my left-over roofing insulation to good use and get it up on the walls. I just cut it slightly larger than I needed it, and it snuggly fit where it needed to go, with a bit of tape here and there to seal the deal. I ended up having just enough to do the north wall and half of the eastern wall, which are the hottest sections.

[ img ]

[ img ]

So now I can get the batts up there and clad the walls.

Here's the other side of the shed for good measure. It's such a mess at the moment, no organisation whatsoever.

[ img ]

Spent a day with a sparky mate yesterday starting the rough-in of the electrical. Hopefully one more day should see us powered up.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Then me and my dad started on the walls...

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

We did just enough to satisfy the electrician (where the powerpoints will be), so once the place is wired up we can finish the rest of the cladding at a later date.

It still got plenty hot in there yesterday, even with the insulation installed on the hottest walls. I'm going to have to keep developing my temperature reducing ideas. Hopefully I'll have a solar roof extraction vent installed by the end of the year, next on the list will be blocking the clear roof sheets with some canvas, a window on the south wall, and after that some tall trees to shade the walls from sunlight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:48 am 

Install the whirly bird and you should be fine. The only thing I would suggest is getting one that you can lock, as you don't want it doing it's thing in winter.

That or build a roof garden :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:53 am 

Whirly bird would be great but it'll totally ruin the clean look of the front of the shed, because it has to tuck under the flashing which means it'll be right at the top/front. Sounds dumb but I designed it to look very clean and miminmal from the front with no gutters, so I think it'd be a bit of an eye sore, which is why I'm thinking of using the solar powered fan because they're nice and slimline. They also work on a thermostat, which reinforces your point about winter. Only bad part is they cost 5 times as much! :oops: